• Baseball Dropped (Updated)

#29144  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:36 pm
Affirm, IF someone had come out and said we are cutting baseball to rev up support for football and basketball that would be something but they did not and all we heard was how dire finances were and FU had lost 100 million on the endowment which we all knew was BS. That money has already been recovered. Title IX was just another excuse that doesn’t hold water. IMHO for whatever reason President Davis wanted baseball gone and she saw a perfect opportunity and took advantage of it. It is not in the best interest of Furman that one person has ALL the power and can do whatever she wants.
 #29145  by MetroMizzy
 Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:46 pm
apaladin wrote:
Affirm, IF someone had come out and said we are cutting baseball to rev up support for football and basketball that would be something but they did not and all we heard was how dire finances were and FU had lost 100 million on the endowment which we all knew was BS. That money has already been recovered. Title IX was just another excuse that doesn’t hold water. IMHO for whatever reason President Davis wanted baseball gone and she saw a perfect opportunity and took advantage of it. It is not in the best interest of Furman that one person has ALL the power and can do whatever she wants.
And Affirm, you also have no idea what happened behind closed doors in the BOT meeting on 5/18/20 and what sports were actually voted to be eliminated BEFORE the decision to cut baseball was made. I do. Davis overturned the original BOT vote which did not include baseball. Apaladin is correct - she has ALL the power.
 #29146  by Roundball
 Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:15 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
apaladin wrote:
And Affirm, you also have no idea what happened behind closed doors in the BOT meeting on 5/18/20 and what sports were actually voted to be eliminated BEFORE the decision to cut baseball was made. I do. Davis overturned the original BOT vote which did not include baseball. Apaladin is correct - she has ALL the power.
Why tease us with info that we don't know is true? Share it.
 #29151  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:10 pm
Roundball wrote:
MetroMizzy wrote:
apaladin wrote:
He just told you what happened and it is true. Up to you if you want to believe it or not.
 #29152  by Roundball
 Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
MetroMizzy wrote:
apaladin wrote:
He just told you what happened and it is true. Up to you if you want to believe it or not.
I just read the post again. He didn’t tell us what happened. Do we believe our AD, our BOT, our President, or a post with no details? What sports were going to be eliminated? Why did the BOT say THEY unanimously voted to cut baseball and lacrosse?
 #29153  by paladinfan12
 Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:30 pm
I have no inside track here, but I would imagine if baseball is brought back it will be multiple years in the future when the university and athletic department is in a much more stable place financially. I see no reason why Furman would demolish the baseball stadium or significantly repurpose the facility (it is the only real baseball field on campus). The startup cost would be relatively inexpensive.

I think the reason the administration made little effort to keep baseball around in the short term was because they went to the big money donors and realized there was not going to be a way to fund the team. Taking a few years off to hit he reset button might not be terrible.
MetroMizzy liked this
 #29157  by FurmAlum
 Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:01 pm
Monday wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:27 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:21 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:28 pm
Really strange stuff coming from that office these days. "will look not for lazy rivers....?"

Nothing strange at all, if she means students will not look for laziness or for just floating or drifting through life. Good stuff.
Pretty sure she means not spending on crap like this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/caranewlon ... 49f2474883

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lsus-lazy- ... 1513381917
Great post Monday. Spending money at colleges for lazy rivers, five star steak houses, spas, etc is shameful. No wonder college tuition has been going up out of control. I wouldn't let my kid go to High Point Univ. if it was the last F$%^&* school on earth!
 #29158  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:39 pm
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
MetroMizzy wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I just read the post again. He didn’t tell us what happened. Do we believe our AD, our BOT, our President, or a post with no details? What sports were going to be eliminated? Why did the BOT say THEY unanimously voted to cut baseball and lacrosse?
It doesn’t matter what other sports were going be cut. You missed the point. The point is it was Davis’ decision and hers alone. She has ALL the power and she misused it IMHO.
MetroMizzy liked this
 #29159  by Roundball
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:05 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:39 pm
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
MetroMizzy wrote:
apaladin wrote:
It doesn’t matter what other sports were going be cut. You missed the point. The point is it was Davis’ decision and hers alone. She has ALL the power and she misused it IMHO.
I don’t believe it.
 #29165  by JohnW
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:50 am
Just playing along because I don't know if Furman's President has the power to veto the board. I will say I doubt it, but say she does and did. How was she wrong? What sports other than baseball and lax should have been cut?
paladinfan12 liked this
 #29167  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:27 pm
I’d be ok with just hearing a clear explanation of why cutting ANYTHING was necessary. Remember cuts were in the works at least a year ago. What happened to make that necessary? Nobody has said. The current program just “wasn’t sustainable”. OK, but it was a few years ago, so what happened?

I doubt she can veto but they can’t afford to tick her off too bad or she might walk, and then they really look like bozos.
 #29169  by MetroMizzy
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:25 pm
She has the power and she used it. I'm not the fake news. My conscious is telling me not to identify the other sports but it is true. Baseball at the Furman level is completely sustainable on it's own regardless of the number of baseball scholarships being awarded by the university and the $600K operating budget. It's simple math. Let's not forget the cash in the 1076 Club account that was procured by the staff via private donations. There was enough in that account to at least play 2021 season.

It's my opinion that cutting any sports wasn't actually "necessary" on 5/18/20.
apaladin liked this
 #29170  by Paul C
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:26 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:25 pm
It's my opinion that cutting any sports wasn't actually "necessary" on 5/18/20.
Strategic decisions like are rarely "necessary" on any given date. There's always a reason to keep trying....

My life in business has given my insight into the process of making difficult decisions, and the biggest mistake I ever made was NOT making a tough call analagous to this one.
Mr. Taggart liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.