• Baseball Dropped (Updated)

#29099  by Roundball
 Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:21 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:28 pm
Really strange stuff coming from that office these days. "will look not for lazy rivers....?"

Nothing strange at all, if she means students will not look for laziness or for just floating or drifting through life. Good stuff.
Rokawaylifer liked this
 #29101  by cavedweller2
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:15 am
Ask not what the lazy river can do for you but what you can do for the lazy river.
 #29108  by MetroMizzy
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:23 pm
Had lunch with a three year starter who has transferred for his final year last week. SMH. The zoom meeting that JD had with the parents sounded like a real treat. Parents were offering millions of dollars on the spot to capitalize the program which was meet with a significant amount of back peddling from JD. That dude has excuses for days.

If i could post EVERYTHING that I know has transpired and been said by the admin from 5/18/20 through now it wouldn't do any good. The Admin is slow playing a financial path to reinstatement in hopes that the fight for the program dies out...and it will. But how hard is it to say to alumni, "if you raise $20M we'll endow the program?" Throw out some number that is extremely tough to obtain but they won't even do that, yet.

And whoever said it earlier is spot on. I'm not going to support FU just to support FU. Isn't one of the goals of higher education to develop critical thinkers that ask why and come up with solutions to problems? It would seem as though that reasoning doesn't apply here...so FU can pound sand.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to DM me. :D :D
apaladin, freebird, Sad Din liked this
 #29113  by cavedweller2
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:23 pm
Furman has quit turning out critical thinkers. It has become an indoctrination station.
Furmanoid, freebird, Rokawaylifer and 1 others liked this
 #29122  by Sad Din
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:14 pm
This baseball thing is one of the most bizarre FU sports events in recent time. Might even over take Timmons as the worst sports blunder during the last 50 years (aside from the hiring of certain coaches)

Which would make a good poll! Worst sports blunder in the last 50 years?

1. Stage design of Timmons (not intended to offend Timmons Fam for generosity)
2. Baseball termination
3, Hiring Coaches
4. Artificial grass on FB field
5. Firing certain coaches
6. Lax plus baseball termination
7. Add as needed...
Last edited by Sad Din on Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #29123  by paladinfan12
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:32 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:14 pm
This baseball thing is one of the most bizarre FU sports events in recent time. Might even over take Timmons as the worst sports blunder during the last 50 years (aside from the hiring of certain coaches)

Which would make a good poll! Worst sports blunder in the last 50 years?

1. Timmons
2. Baseball termination
3, Hiring Coaches
4. Artificial grass on FB field
5. Firing certain coaches
6. Lax plus baseball termination
7. Add as needed...

As far as blunders go I would say adding lax and then killing it 7 years later.
Sad Din liked this
 #29126  by Affirm
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:23 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:23 pm
Had lunch with a three year starter who has transferred for his final year last week. SMH. The zoom meeting that JD had with the parents sounded like a real treat. Parents were offering millions of dollars on the spot to capitalize the program which was meet with a significant amount of back peddling from JD. That dude has excuses for days.

If i could post EVERYTHING that I know has transpired and been said by the admin from 5/18/20 through now it wouldn't do any good. The Admin is slow playing a financial path to reinstatement in hopes that the fight for the program dies out...and it will. But how hard is it to say to alumni, "if you raise $20M we'll endow the program?" Throw out some number that is extremely tough to obtain but they won't even do that, yet.

And whoever said it earlier is spot on. I'm not going to support FU just to support FU. Isn't one of the goals of higher education to develop critical thinkers that ask why and come up with solutions to problems? It would seem as though that reasoning doesn't apply here...so FU can pound sand.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to DM me. :D :D
You did not follow my advice. I told you in post in this thread on June 2, 6:28 PM, that you would be able to do what you want for $44,000,000, and I told you why it takes that amount. I told you you could try to get negotiations started by offering $25,000,000. I told you that YOU have to throw out a number, not passively wait around for Furman admin to “throw out some number”. You said parents were offering millions, but you did not say THEY (parents) were offering $44,000,000 or even $20,000,000 or $25,000,000.
Baseball & men’s lacrosse had to be dropped in order to be able to:
1. Better support football and men’s basketball in order to be more successful competitively.
2. Meet Title IX compliance requirements for balance.
3. Avoid greatly cutting support to all other men’s sports, including golf, tennis, soccer, track & field, cross country, to such an extent that all of those sports, plus “reinstated baseball“, would be far below mediocre.
4. Avoid transitioning all sports to D-3 or D-2.
I have nothing against baseball.
Baseball is great.
However, I believe that doing #1 & #2 are very important, and I believe that not doing #3 and #4 (I.e., not avoiding cutting support, and not avoiding transitioning) would cause far more dissatisfaction than the baseball decision caused.
I have told you how to get baseball reinstated in my June 2, 6:28 PM post, and I have told you what it will cost you: $44,000,000.
Last edited by Affirm on Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monday liked this
 #29127  by Monday
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:27 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:21 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:28 pm
Really strange stuff coming from that office these days. "will look not for lazy rivers....?"

Nothing strange at all, if she means students will not look for laziness or for just floating or drifting through life. Good stuff.
Pretty sure she means not spending on crap like this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/caranewlon ... 49f2474883

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lsus-lazy- ... 1513381917
 #29131  by Rokawaylifer
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:40 pm
That’s all great. I love people that throw the numbers around. Trying to make the sheep just shake their heads and move on. Baffling with bullshi$. Your post is nonsensical. try these numbers on for size. Furman has found a way to support baseball for over 100 years. Multiple depressions, world wars, won’t even go through the rest Of all the real or perceived crises...but thank you for your pablum.
apaladin, FurmAlum liked this
 #29133  by Affirm
 Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:47 am
Rokawaylifer wrote:
That’s all great. I love people that throw the numbers around. Trying to make the sheep just shake their heads and move on. Baffling with bullshi$. Your post is nonsensical. try these numbers on for size. Furman has found a way to support baseball for over 100 years. Multiple depressions, world wars, won’t even go through the rest Of all the real or perceived crises...but thank you for your pablum.
Sympathy for your anger and grief.
My numbers and thoughts are realistic.
 #29139  by JohnW
 Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:35 am
Saw a tweet yesterday that indicated communication between the AD and the "save" folks is still open. Mentioned that the group hoped to raise 5 million. Maybe that's the buy in. Realistically though what would 5 million do, seems woefully inadequate to the task.
 #29141  by bigpurple75
 Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:53 am
my largest issue is this kind of discussion should have held on the front end, not after the fact. We failed to learn any lesson from the golf program a few years ago. Now, IF this does work, we are basically starting all over again.
 #29143  by MetroMizzy
 Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:35 pm
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Thank you. My God. Just out here spewing nonsense in the third party.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.