• 2021 Defense

#28876  by fufanatic
 Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:22 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:10 pm
I sure like our chances going into this season. I like our defensive crowd. We are my more physical than we have been. We are absolutely faster. I think we will be better. I sure look forward to the return of "normalcy" if there is such a thing. Go FU!
Amen to all of that. I'm so anxious for college football. I feel like I've blacked out over the last 3-4 months.
DeepPurple liked this
 #28884  by FurmAlum
 Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:30 pm
Thanks Jackal and Astro for your analysis of the defense.

From a reliable source today. Players will report to FU on 7/18!
gofurman liked this
 #28889  by AstroDin
 Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:58 am
We kinda skipped over the defensive line…
30,000-foot view:

Defensive End
Dru Seabrook 6-3 242 RSSR
Landon Lawerence 6-3 270 SR
Jack Barton 6-4 240 RSFR
Jalen Clark 6-2 230 RSFR

Incoming
Luke Clark 6-3 224 FR
Jeremiah Jackson 6-0 250 FR

Defensive Line
NG Parker Stokes 6-1 278 SR
NG Taylor Hodge 5-9 255 JR
NG Cameron Coleman 6-3 300 RSSO

Incoming
NG Seth Johnson 6-2 280 FR

DT Matt Sochovka 6-4 265 RSJR
DT London Lewis 6-4 282 RSJR
DT Trey Rogers 6-3 225 RSFR

In the spring game the Purple D-Line played stout. IMO > Coleman was the standout and received kudos from CCH about his play in the spring. I think we will see our defensive line take a step forward this season under new DL coach Kevin Lewis. Lewis has some pieces to move around on the d-line it will be interesting to watch the battles in the pre-season.

Newcomers: Jack Barton was a highly-recruited high schooler he's gained 15 pounds during his redshirt. Getting Barton PT this season IMO should be a priority in building for the future. Incoming true freshmen Clark and Jackson are two other good-looking prospects. Clark has length and room to add-on weight (btw… he chose FU over Montana) Jackson could step right in and earn PT he's very quick for a 250 pounder. Seth Johnson — there is something about this guy that tells me he could be the sleeper. Johnson plays flat-out with a high-speed motor. Could be wrong but Johnson appears to be a great fit for Furman at NG.

#28895  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:04 am
Looking through some more defensive videos. I liked this modified look.

Again, passing situation. Furman pulls an ILB for another CB. Wilkins, a SPUR, moves inside. The NG (Coleman) slides out over the guard. Furman is using 3-4 personnel to give the offense an even man front look.

Watch Gilby. Steps up to give an odd man front. Gives a little feint to engage the center and then drops into coverage. The center has to engage because he'd be responsible for the blitzing linebacker. What that does, though, is all but guarantee man to man matchups across the rest of the defensive front. By the time the center recovers to help the OG, Coleman is already past him.
AstroDin liked this
 #28984  by gofurman
 Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:33 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:58 am
We kinda skipped over the defensive line…
30,000-foot view:

Defensive End
Dru Seabrook 6-3 242 RSSR
Landon Lawerence 6-3 270 SR
Jack Barton 6-4 240 RSFR
Jalen Clark 6-2 230 RSFR

Incoming
Luke Clark 6-3 224 FR
Jeremiah Jackson 6-0 250 FR

Defensive Line
NG Parker Stokes 6-1 278 SR
NG Taylor Hodge 5-9 255 JR
NG Cameron Coleman 6-3 300 RSSO

Incoming
NG Seth Johnson 6-2 280 FR

DT Matt Sochovka 6-4 265 RSJR
DT London Lewis 6-4 282 RSJR
DT Trey Rogers 6-3 225 RSFR

In the spring game the Purple D-Line played stout. IMO > Coleman was the standout and received kudos from CCH about his play in the spring. I think we will see our defensive line take a step forward this season under new DL coach Kevin Lewis. Lewis has some pieces to move around on the d-line it will be interesting to watch the battles in the pre-season.

Newcomers: Jack Barton was a highly-recruited high schooler he's gained 15 pounds during his redshirt. Getting Barton PT this season IMO should be a priority in building for the future. Incoming true freshmen Clark and Jackson are two other good-looking prospects. Clark has length and room to add-on weight (btw… he chose FU over Montana) Jackson could step right in and earn PT he's very quick for a 250 pounder. Seth Johnson — there is something about this guy that tells me he could be the sleeper. Johnson plays flat-out with a high-speed motor. Could be wrong but Johnson appears to be a great fit for Furman at NG.

NEVER skip the OL or DL !!! the game is usually won in the trenches. Thanks for all the review Astro and Jackal !
 #29031  by The Jackal
 Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:23 am
Another interesting point looking through some defensive numbers.

Everyone is aware of Adrian Hope's productivity as a pass rusher. He's currently 3rd all time. His 2018 season was just insane and arguably the greatest pass rush season a Furman player has ever had.

Even his much more pedestrian (by his standards) 2019, Hope still notched 6.5 sacks. Put in context, Hope's less productive 2019 was still tied for the second highest sack total of any Furman player since 1997 (Gary Wilkins had 8 in 2014).

Somewhat surprisingly, Dru Seabrook has quietly moved up the ledger. He is now 12th all time with 10 sacks. Almost assuredly he will move into the top 10 this season and potentially even the top 5 all time in what will likely be his first year as a starter.

So, appreciate that aspect of the defense this year. It is a rarity to see Furman put two top 10 pass rushers on the field at the same time (it's happened only rarely, and maybe only one season since 1990). Teams are going to have their hands full dealing with Hope on one side and Seabrook on the other.
 #29063  by Paladin82
 Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:23 am
Another interesting point looking through some defensive numbers.

Everyone is aware of Adrian Hope's productivity as a pass rusher. He's currently 3rd all time. His 2018 season was just insane and arguably the greatest pass rush season a Furman player has ever had.

Even his much more pedestrian (by his standards) 2019, Hope still notched 6.5 sacks. Put in context, Hope's less productive 2019 was still tied for the second highest sack total of any Furman player since 1997 (Gary Wilkins had 8 in 2014).

Somewhat surprisingly, Dru Seabrook has quietly moved up the ledger. He is now 12th all time with 10 sacks. Almost assuredly he will move into the top 10 this season and potentially even the top 5 all time in what will likely be his first year as a starter.

So, appreciate that aspect of the defense this year. It is a rarity to see Furman put two top 10 pass rushers on the field at the same time (it's happened only rarely, and maybe only one season since 1990). Teams are going to have their hands full dealing with Hope on one side and Seabrook on the other.
It seemed like to me every time I watched Hope last year he was being double teamed, which makes the 6.5 sacks even more impressive. It's great to have two weapons like Hope and Seabrook attacking the QB.
 #29100  by AstroDin
 Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:07 pm
Interesting post from Recruiting Analytics about incoming DB Ivan Yates.
RA - lists Yates as a 77 film grade which ranks him as a FBS caliber recruit - Group of Five range from 70-80.
60-70 grade is considered FCS caliber. I would love to see them grade Kendall Thomas.
gofurman liked this
 #29107  by FUKA61
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:03 pm
Yates had 16 offers and five were from FBS schools so not surprised by the rating.
 #29110  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:28 pm
Had an old football coach that would say that if you could give him two good cornerbacks he could beat just about anyone.
 #29111  by gofurman
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:52 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Had an old football coach that would say that if you could give him two good cornerbacks he could beat just about anyone.
I completely agree with the sentiment.. and still do as it frees you up to play vs the run etc.. but last year I felt we were as loaded at CB as we have been in a long time and then I watched us play Citadel, Wofford and then Austin Peay(!) - the final one in particular. The first two had a lot to do with our offense - no doubt (esp Citadel 5/25).. but damn APeay still stings. Those guys made us look stupid with athletes in space. OVer and over they would just put their guy vs our guy and our guy would whiff at freakin air. Some of our good corners too. Just not a good look for the SoCon in the playoffs at all
 #29112  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:
When I started coaching rec ball the HS coach taught me to put your best guy at Qb, next best at corner on the weak side, 3rd best at the other corner. But you had to let those two take turns at tail back so they wouldn’t quit.
 #29118  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:13 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:52 pm
The Jackal wrote:
I completely agree with the sentiment.. and still do as it frees you up to play vs the run etc.. but last year I felt we were as loaded at CB as we have been in a long time and then I watched us play Citadel, Wofford and then Austin Peay(!) - the final one in particular. The first two had a lot to do with our offense - no doubt (esp Citadel 5/25).. but damn APeay still stings. Those guys made us look stupid with athletes in space. OVer and over they would just put their guy vs our guy and our guy would whiff at freakin air. Some of our good corners too. Just not a good look for the SoCon in the playoffs at all
Those games had far more to do with offensive ineffectiveness than anything the defense did.

No, we didn't play lights out, but we didn't play that poorly either. It's a tough go when you turn the ball over deep in your zone. A score can go from close to out of hand in a hurry.
gofurman liked this
 #29129  by AstroDin
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:42 pm
Excited about both > Ivan Yates and Micah Robinson…

Some film on Micah…
 #29130  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:55 pm
FUKA61 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:03 pm
Yates had 16 offers and five were from FBS schools so not surprised by the rating.
He’s a KillaBee from Roswell HS. No doubt he’s a Player
FUKA61 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.