• It is not just us - Total list of schools and sports cut:

#28364  by Furmanoid
 Wed May 27, 2020 9:33 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:32 pm
Bowling Green dropped baseball the week before Furman did.

I mentioned them in my post, another thread, May 20, 3:14.
But furmanoid replied, 2 minutes later, "didn't realize people could even play baseball in such a place."
Bowling Green is in Ohio, >21,000 students. Yes, I believe they do play some baseball in Ohio.
When the season shut down in midMarch Bowling Green had in fact played 1 of their 9 games in the state of Ohio. Even that one was at Youngstown. Their closest game before that was 10 hours away. At least 1/2 of their MAC games would have been away. Northern teams have to spend the first half of the season traveling vast distances to find thawed ground. It is understandable that northern teams would be more willing to cut baseball. Not only do they have to travel but they probably practice indoors.
apaladin liked this
 #28375  by Affirm
 Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 am
Furmanoid wrote:
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

But furmanoid replied, 2 minutes later, "didn't realize people could even play baseball in such a place."
Bowling Green is in Ohio, >21,000 students. Yes, I believe they do play some baseball in Ohio.
When the season shut down in midMarch Bowling Green had in fact played 1 of their 9 games in the state of Ohio. Even that one was at Youngstown. Their closest game before that was 10 hours away. At least 1/2 of their MAC games would have been away. Northern teams have to spend the first half of the season traveling vast distances to find thawed ground. It is understandable that northern teams would be more willing to cut baseball. Not only do they have to travel but they probably practice indoors.
Bowling Green did not cut baseball because of weather. They have played baseball 102 years.

Bowling Green has a more impressive baseball history than Furman does. In fact, Furman baseball accomplishments are very hard to find. (Don't tell me about regular season mid-week games we have won against the likes of Clemson, USC, and Georgia on a rare occasion, or other big schools, maybe every couple of years, when those teams are probably saving their better pitchers for more important games, so we are able to outscore and "upset" them. Numerous examples can be noticed, in any season, of small schools winning over large, well-know, well-supported baseball schools or big name schools that are not necessarily "baseball schools".)
Specific Furman baseball accomplishments ARE somewhat hard to find.

Bowling Green ("that 'unknown' school from the frozen tundra of the north", some might wish to call them), on the other hand, has accomplishments that are very easy to find.

After the school was first established 110 years ago, Bowling Green began varsity intercollegiate competition 102 years ago. The went on to win 12 regular-season conference championships [most recently 2013]), six MAC East Division titles and three conference tournament championships. They have reached the NCAA Tournament on four occasions, most recently 2013.

Bowling Green in its baseball history has had roughly 50 players drafted and an additional 50 sign free-agent contracts. The most famous BG baseball alum is Cy Young winner Orel Hershiser, who pitched for BG from 1977-79 and tossed no-hitter against Kent State on May 4, 1979. He was named 1988 World Series MVP when his Los Angeles Dodgers defeated Oakland in five games.

Danny Schmitz is a three-time MAC Coach of the Year and has won seven conference championships. He entered his 30th year in 2020 as the conference's active leader in all-time wins. Twice under Schmitz's leadership the program won a school-record 36 games (1999 and 2001).
Information about support for Bowling Green baseball is also easier to find. A former Bowling Green State University baseball standout who helped BG win the Mid-American Conference in 1972, and later became one of the school's most prominent donors — the baseball facility is now named for him — donated $1 million to the baseball program in 2014.

Bowling Green's AD Bob Moosbrugger is a former BG baseball player.

Bowling Green's elimination of baseball was announced on the Friday 3 days before the Furman announcement.
A group interested in "saving" baseball at Bowling Green already had $1.3 million in committed contributions by Memorial Day. The group has proposed that the money raised would be distributed during the five-year window the campaign set to find alternative sources of revenue for baseball. Organizers said 10 percent of the contributions — about $130,000 — came from the families of current Bowling Green baseball players. The campaign said that it had 140 total contributors as of Monday. While the campaign quickly surpassed the seven-figure threshold, it has significantly more work to complete in the coming weeks. Its stated goals are to raise between $3.5 and $4 million across the five-year period, establish a limited liability company to serve as a fundraising arm for the program, etc.

I have not found any information about any similar level of successful organization by persons who are vocally opposed to the elimination of Furman baseball.
 #28378  by Furmanoid
 Thu May 28, 2020 12:31 pm
affirm wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Bowling Green did not cut baseball because of weather. They have played baseball 102 years.

Bowling Green has a more impressive baseball history than Furman does. In fact, Furman baseball accomplishments are very hard to find. (Don't tell me about regular season mid-week games we have won against the likes of Clemson, USC, and Georgia on a rare occasion, or other big schools, maybe every couple of years, when those teams are probably saving their better pitchers for more important games, so we are able to outscore and "upset" them. Numerous examples can be noticed, in any season, of small schools winning over large, well-know, well-supported baseball schools or big name schools that are not necessarily "baseball schools".)

Bowling Green ("that 'unknown' school from the frozen tundra of the north", some might wish to call them), on the other hand, has accomplishments that are very easy to find.

After the school was first established 110 years ago, Bowling Green began varsity intercollegiate competition 102 years ago. The went on to win 12 regular-season conference championships [most recently 2013]), six MAC East Division titles and three conference tournament championships. They have reached the NCAA Tournament on four occasions, most recently 2013.

Bowling Green in its baseball history has had roughly 50 players drafted and an additional 50 sign free-agent contracts. The most famous BG baseball alum is Cy Young winner Orel Hershiser, who pitched for BG from 1977-79 and tossed no-hitter against Kent State on May 4, 1979. He was named 1988 World Series MVP when his Los Angeles Dodgers defeated Oakland in five games.

Danny Schmitz is a three-time MAC Coach of the Year and has won seven conference championships. He entered his 30th year in 2020 as the conference's active leader in all-time wins. Twice under Schmitz's leadership the program won a school-record 36 games (1999 and 2001).
Information about support for Bowling Green baseball is also easier to find. A former Bowling Green State University baseball standout who helped BG win the Mid-American Conference in 1972, and later became one of the school's most prominent donors — the baseball facility is now named for him — donated $1 million to the baseball program in 2014.

Bowling Green's elimination of baseball was announced on the Friday 3 days before the Furman announcement.
A group interested in "saving" baseball at Bowling Green already had $1.3 million in committed contributions by Memorial Day. The group has proposed that the money raised would be distributed during the five-year window the campaign set to find alternative sources of revenue for baseball. Organizers said 10 percent of the contributions — about $130,000 — came from the families of current Bowling Green baseball players. The campaign said that it had 140 total contributors as of Monday. While the campaign quickly surpassed the seven-figure threshold, it has significantly more work to complete in the coming weeks. Its stated goals are to raise between $3.5 and $4 million across the five-year period, establish a limited liability company to serve as a fundraising arm for the program, etc.

I have not found any information about any similar level of successful organization by persons who are vocally opposed to the elimination of Furman baseball.
Didn’t say they cut it because of the weather! But if they, like many other schools, were looking for savings opportunities in their athletic budgets then the travel budget for baseball probably jumped off the page. They, like many northern schools, can’t play without extreme travel. Our travel budget doesn’t need to be all that crazy.

It sounds like the main thing that kills us is our scholarship costs which are really high on paper because our tuition is so high. But that is sort of imaginary since an empty seat in a classroom costs the same as one holding up an athlete and the empty seat isn’t going to fork out $55k either.
 #28380  by paladinfan12
 Thu May 28, 2020 2:12 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:31 pm
affirm wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Didn’t say they cut it because of the weather! But if they, like many other schools, were looking for savings opportunities in their athletic budgets then the travel budget for baseball probably jumped off the page. They, like many northern schools, can’t play without extreme travel. Our travel budget doesn’t need to be all that crazy.

It sounds like the main thing that kills us is our scholarship costs which are really high on paper because our tuition is so high. But that is sort of imaginary since an empty seat in a classroom costs the same as one holding up an athlete and the empty seat isn’t going to fork out $55k either.
Tuition does work this way when you add 5 kids to a school, but tuition does not work this way when you add 50 or so kids to the school. Furman has to increase budgets across the board proportionally for an increased enrollment. The single largest metric for school rankings is student faculty ratio. When you add students faculty numbers increase, staff numbers increase, room and board expenses increase, utility bills increase, and student activities funding increases.

Some people on this board keep acting like the tuition these non-scholarship students were paying was straight profit and enough to prop up the lacrosse and baseball programs. Be honest with yourself - it wasn't, because if it was the accountant who is our president would not have cut these programs.
 #28382  by Furmanoid
 Thu May 28, 2020 4:19 pm
I don’t think taking 20 guys out of the dorms will impact utilities more than a few hundred bucks. I doubt the food services will detect their absence. I’m sure it would have been unnoticed in the days of Coach Food. Getting rid of them may make it possible to can a part time professor. The school will also get to pocket more of the activity fee.

Nonscholarship guys aren’t pure profit. They are paying customers. If they leave, you have to find replacements (which isn’t easy) or you lose lots of money (unless you can more professors).

I wouldn’t say this cut won’t save money. But I thinks it’s really odd to suffer all this hate and discontent to save such a trivial amount (for a $1B outfit).
FU3 liked this
 #28394  by FUBeAR
 Thu May 28, 2020 10:11 pm

We just need better ‘Spin Doctors’...

New initiative to reshape, improve competitiveness in Brown varsity and club athletics

The Excellence in Brown Athletics Initiative will revise the University’s roster of varsity sports teams, invest in club sports and enhance recruitment, squad sizes, coaching, training and facilities.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. [Brown University] — With the goals of improving the competitiveness of varsity athletics teams, enhancing the strength of club sports and upholding its commitment to providing equal opportunities in athletics for women and men, Brown University has launched a bold plan to reshape its athletics program.

[WOW...Sounds AWESOME!]

7 paragraphs later...

Effective immediately for the 2020-21 academic year, the University will transition 11 varsity teams to club status. Brown will cease training, competition and operations at the varsity level for men's and women’s fencing; men's and women’s golf; women’s skiing; men's and women’s squash; women’s equestrian; and men’s track, field and cross country (which are three varsity sports under federal Title IX rules governing access to opportunities in sports).

....oh, THAT kind of “Excellence.”
Rokawaylifer, Fessor liked this
 #28403  by The Jackal
 Fri May 29, 2020 7:46 am
Club sports can be fun. I played club baseball at Furman. It was all the fun parts of baseball without the grind. Unsurprisingly, we were not particularly good.

One downside is that contrary to most varsity sports, the more veteran the player and the further removed from your more regimented high school days, the worse you got.

Club cross country sounds awful, though.
 #28423  by Affirm
 Fri May 29, 2020 5:38 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:11 pm

We just need better ‘Spin Doctors’...

New initiative to reshape, improve competitiveness in Brown varsity and club athletics

The Excellence in Brown Athletics Initiative will revise the University’s roster of varsity sports teams, invest in club sports and enhance recruitment, squad sizes, coaching, training and facilities.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. [Brown University] — With the goals of improving the competitiveness of varsity athletics teams, enhancing the strength of club sports and upholding its commitment to providing equal opportunities in athletics for women and men, Brown University has launched a bold plan to reshape its athletics program.

[WOW...Sounds AWESOME!]

7 paragraphs later...

Effective immediately for the 2020-21 academic year, the University will transition 11 varsity teams to club status. Brown will cease training, competition and operations at the varsity level for men's and women’s fencing; men's and women’s golf; women’s skiing; men's and women’s squash; women’s equestrian; and men’s track, field and cross country (which are three varsity sports under federal Title IX rules governing access to opportunities in sports).

....oh, THAT kind of “Excellence.”
Brown University is one of THE top-rated universities in the nation.
I give Brown the benefit of any doubt regarding what they want to do with athletics.
Many other schools may be following Brown’s model, and it may be the best model to follow.
 #28927  by gofurman
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 am
full list that I know of:

Furman is discontinuing its baseball and men’s lacrosse programs.
Cincinnati is eliminating its men’s soccer program.
Bowling Green is cutting its baseball program.
Old Dominion is pulling the plug on its wrestling program.
Akron is eliminating men’s cross country, men’s golf and women’s tennis.
FIU is cutting its men’s indoor track and field program.
Wisconsin-Green Bay is suspending its men’s and women’s tennis programs.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2020 ... -list.html

- Central Michigan track and field.
-East Carolina University is eliminating men's swimming and diving, women's swimming and diving, men's tennis and women's tennis.
-App State cut men's tennis, men's soccer, and men's indoor track and field.
 #29103  by gofurman
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:03 am
Interesting.. the athletic cuts have really slowed more than I thought. There were a lot early on and then very few lately. Bowling Green even reinstated baseball ! I would have expected at least 10 more on here by now. Not sure what to make of the slow down. Glad for the athletes that this has slowed though !

NCAA D1 Schools eliminating varsity teams
Akron – Men’s Cross Country, Men’s Golf, Women’s Tennis
Appalachian State – Men’s Soccer, Men’s Tennis, Men’s Indoor Track & Field
Bowling Green – Baseball (program reinstated with private funding on 6/3)
Brown – Men’s + Women’s Fencing, Men’s + Women’s Golf, Women’s Skiing, Men’s + Women’s Squash, Women’s Equestrian, Men’s Track & Field, Men’s Cross Country (all downgraded to club sports)
Central Michigan – Men’s Track & Field
Cincinnati – Men’s Soccer
East Carolina – Men’s + Women’s Tennis, Men’s + Women’s Swimming and Diving
Florida International – Men’s Indoor Track & Field
Furman – Baseball, Men’s Lacrosse
Old Dominion – Wrestling
Winthrop – Men’s + Women’s Tennis
Wisconsin-Green Bay – Men’s + Women’s Tennis
Wright State – Softball, Men’s + Women’s Tennis

as of 6/19 for D1 school
 #29104  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:02 am
Tennis is really getting pounded. But it had gotten sort of weird at lots of schools in that almost none of the scholarship players were Americans. I always wondered why schools should give scarce scholarship money to Brits and Russians to come play a sport nobody really follows.
 #29659  by gofurman
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:08 am
UPDATE with a single big addition in terms of the endowment and name- Stanford.

NCAA D1 schools eliminating varsity teams
Akron – Men’s Cross Country, Men’s Golf, Women’s Tennis
Appalachian State – Men’s Soccer, Men’s Tennis, Men’s Indoor Track & Field
Boise State – Baseball, Swimming & Diving
Bowling Green – Baseball (program reinstated with private funding on 6/3)
Brown – Men’s + Women’s Fencing, Men’s + Women’s Golf, Women’s Skiing, Men’s + Women’s Squash, Women’s Equestrian, Men’s Track & Field, Men’s Cross Country (all downgraded to club sports)
Central Michigan – Men’s Track & Field
Chicago State – Baseball (NOTE: CSU has ADDED men’s soccer)
Connecticut – Men’s Cross Country, Women’s Rowing, Men’s Swimming & Diving, and Men’s Tennis *Will all be cut following 20-21
Cincinnati – Men’s Soccer
East Carolina – Men’s + Women’s Tennis, Men’s + Women’s Swimming and Diving
Florida International – Men’s Indoor Track & Field
Furman – Baseball, Men’s Lacrosse
Northern Colorado – Men’s + Women’s Tennis
Old Dominion – Wrestling
Southern Utah – Men’s + Women’s Tennis
Western Illinois – Men’s + Women’s Swimming & Diving (SUSPENDED)
Winthrop – Men’s + Women’s Tennis
Wisconsin-Green Bay – Men’s + Women’s Tennis
Wright State – Softball, Men’s + Women’s Tennis

UPDATE - Stanford cuts 11 varsity sports: mens and womens fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, mens rowing, co-ed and womens sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, mens volleyball and wrestling. (gofurman thought - its not so much the sports here.. its the P5 name of Stanford. I think this is the first P5 to hit the board)
 #29665  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:55 pm
Stanford sponsored 36 sports and is now down to 25. Of course all of the “sports” they cut are laughable and are attributable to Stanford’s snobbish, elitist attitude. For example there are only 2 field hockey teams on the west coast.
Where are all those other SoCon sports being cut as we were told to expect?
aqualung liked this
 #29678  by gofurman
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:55 pm
Stanford sponsored 36 sports and is now down to 25. Of course all of the “sports” they cut are laughable and are attributable to Stanford’s snobbish, elitist attitude. For example there are only 2 field hockey teams on the west coast.
Where are all those other SoCon sports being cut as we were told to expect?
We may yet see them but I agree I thought we would have see a few already

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.