• Baseball Dropped (Updated)

#28603  by FGT
 Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:08 pm
I would not be surprised at all to see Furman move to D3 within 6-7 years. I believe that is the plan. I think you can sponsor 1 or 2 sports at the D1 level with this approach. So a program like XC could conceivably stay D1 while every other sport is not. Examples would be Augusta St. golf and Dallas Baptist baseball. I think they are D2 in all other sports. Field Hockey and LaCrosse have examples of this as well.
 #28604  by Roundball
 Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:14 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:14 pm
Very sad. I truly believe Furman will live to regret this decision. It will haunt them for years to come. They have turned off the Greenville community at a time when it seemed the Greenville community was starting to finally embrace the university. Many people were just starting to discover FU. Many if not most are now lost.
Let’s be real. The Greenville community has not supported the athletic programs in years. There are signs that basketball might get some support. If we keep winning, that support will continue to build, with or without baseball. We might as well move on and push for support for the rest of our student athletes. They should not be punished because of what happened to baseball. I will continue to support these great young men and women through the Paladin Club.
FUKA61, Affirm, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #28607  by apaladin
 Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:53 pm
I used to think that this kind of talk was pure non-sense.
Last edited by apaladin on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #28610  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:38 pm
FGT wrote:
I would not be surprised at all to see Furman move to D3 within 6-7 years. I believe that is the plan. I think you can sponsor 1 or 2 sports at the D1 level with this approach. So a program like XC could conceivably stay D1 while every other sport is not. Examples would be Augusta St. golf and Dallas Baptist baseball. I think they are D2 in all other sports. Field Hockey and LaCrosse have examples of this as well.
You are right about AU. DI in golf and DII in everything else. Never heard of a DI/DIII hybrid though.
 #28611  by Affirm
 Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:49 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:38 pm
FGT wrote:
You are right about AU. DI in golf and DII in everything else. Never heard of a DI/DIII hybrid though.
Maybe Johns Hopkins with men's lacrosse D-1 and everything else D-3? But I believe that was somehow allowed due to "grandfathering".
 #28612  by apaladin
 Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:03 pm
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Very sad. I truly believe Furman will live to regret this decision. It will haunt them for years to come. They have turned off the Greenville community at a time when it seemed the Greenville community was starting to finally embrace the university. Many people were just starting to discover FU. Many if not most are now lost.
Let’s be real. The Greenville community has not supported the athletic programs in years. There are signs that basketball might get some support. If we keep winning, that support will continue to build, with or without baseball. We might as well move on and push for support for the rest of our student athletes. They should not be punished because of what happened to baseball. I will continue to support these great young men and women through the Paladin Club.
It’s not just about the baseball team. I agree about supporting these young men and women but this has cast a giant shadow over the entire athletic program at FU. How much longer will the PC exist in its current format.?These young men and women will always have to look over their shoulder now. Other teams will be using this against us in recruiting(they already have). This is just the beginning of a long spiral down in competitiveness at FU. The current leadership has told us where they stand in regards to athletics.
 #28615  by The Jackal
 Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
It’s not just about the baseball team. I agree about supporting these young men and women but this has cast a giant shadow over the entire athletic program at FU. How much longer will the PC exist in its current format.?These young men and women will always have to look over their shoulder now. Other teams will be using this against us in recruiting(they already have). This is just the beginning of a long spiral down in competitiveness at FU. The current leadership has told us where they stand in regards to athletics.
I do not think it is that simple. Greenville doesn't exist to support Furman athletics. That's the job of Furman alumni and supporters. If Greenville comes too, that's great.

Cutting a program isn't a great look. It is a PR problem, financial problem, alumni problem, and student problem all rolled into one decision. The decision is neither nothing nor everything.
FU3, Affirm liked this
 #28618  by Paul C
 Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:02 am
apaladin wrote:

This is just the beginning of a long spiral down in competitiveness at FU. The current leadership has told us where they stand in regards to athletics.
I can assure you that specific events/announcements in the near future will prove you very wrong
Roundball, MidlandsPaladin, FUKA61 and 2 others liked this
 #28629  by Affirm
 Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:12 am
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
No.
The world is not ending.
Furman Athletics is only one part of Furman University (an extra-curricular activity for students, many would say, Affirm acknowledges it’s a little bigger than that in actuality).
Furman University is not ending; not even Furman Athletics, much less the whole world.
 #28630  by Affirm
 Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:15 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I do not think it is that simple. Greenville doesn't exist to support Furman athletics. That's the job of Furman alumni and supporters. If Greenville comes too, that's great.

Cutting a program isn't a great look. It is a PR problem, financial problem, alumni problem, and student problem all rolled into one decision. The decision is neither nothing nor everything.
Affirm will add that Furman does not exist to support Furman Athletics.
 #28632  by apaladin
 Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:19 am
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:

This is just the beginning of a long spiral down in competitiveness at FU. The current leadership has told us where they stand in regards to athletics.
I can assure you that specific events/announcements in the near future will prove you very wrong
I prey that you are correct and I am totally wrong.
MetroMizzy liked this
 #28633  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:31 am
apaladin wrote:
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Have they backed away from chopping the other 20 scholarships?
 #28636  by Affirm
 Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:01 pm
apaladin wrote:
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Please do not prey, but I do want you to please PRAY. Typos are OK, I know it was a typo. It just made me smile 😊
 #28640  by FGT
 Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:00 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:31 am
apaladin wrote:
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Have they backed away from chopping the other 20 scholarships?
The scholarship reduction did not include those in the sports that have been contracted. The 45 scholarship reduction was happening regardless of whether or not sports were being eliminated.

Furman’s high tuition with smaller enrollment is backing itself into a corner. More and more people are looking at ROI on spending for a college education. There are lower priced alternatives that provide just as good or better value. What is the paying customer getting for $67,000 or whatever they end up paying.