#28451  by Flagman
 Sat May 30, 2020 10:34 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:46 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:38 am
affirm wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:30 pm
Today Greenville County has tied Richland County for leading the state in number of positive Covid-19 cases.
Not good news for the desire to have a normal football season.
Then again, it appears the Gamecocks are planning to plow ahead. So I guess Furman (and Wofford, Citadel, etc.) might do likewise.
I mean, those are also the two most populated counties in the state. It would surprise me if they didn't have the highest numbers of cases.
Correct, according to google there are over 100k more people in Greenville County than Richland County so going by that its more of a problem in Richland than Greenville if they have app. the same amount of cases.:
Greenville app. 524,000
Richland app. 414,000
What does this have to do with our 2020 football season? Move this to the Covid thread, please.
 #28463  by Affirm
 Sun May 31, 2020 2:15 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:34 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:46 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:38 am
affirm wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:30 pm
Today Greenville County has tied Richland County for leading the state in number of positive Covid-19 cases.
Not good news for the desire to have a normal football season.
Then again, it appears the Gamecocks are planning to plow ahead. So I guess Furman (and Wofford, Citadel, etc.) might do likewise.
I mean, those are also the two most populated counties in the state. It would surprise me if they didn't have the highest numbers of cases.
Correct, according to google there are over 100k more people in Greenville County than Richland County so going by that its more of a problem in Richland than Greenville if they have app. the same amount of cases.:
Greenville app. 524,000
Richland app. 414,000
What does this have to do with our 2020 football season? Move this to the Covid thread, please.
The 2 topics are intricately related. There is still doubt regarding how the 2020 football season will have to change because of Covid-19, and whether there will even be a season. I think there will be a season, but what it will look like is still a big question.
So, I have answered your question.
The Covid thread will probably be killed soon anyway. If we pretend it is not a problem, some people think it will go away, whereas in truth, if we pay better attention to it and act right, there is a better chance of it going away sooner and a better chance of having a normal and complete 2020 football season.
 #28464  by apaladin
 Sun May 31, 2020 2:23 pm
Just an FYI. Liberty University took some heat when they resumed normal classes after spring break. They were expected to turn into a hot spot for COVID-19. They have not had a single case. Imagine that.
Rokawaylifer liked this
 #28467  by Roundball
 Sun May 31, 2020 3:45 pm
apaladin wrote:
Just an FYI. Liberty University took some heat when they resumed normal classes after spring break. They were expected to turn into a hot spot for COVID-19. They have not had a single case. Imagine that.
Falwell does the reporting. Enough said.
 #28473  by Fessor
 Sun May 31, 2020 11:14 pm
apaladin wrote:
FYI: They've tested 8 students. As in 8 out of 1600 living in the dorms since Spring Break.
 #28474  by apaladin
 Sun May 31, 2020 11:44 pm
Fessor wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FYI: They've tested 8 students. As in 8 out of 1600 living in the dorms since Spring Break.
Source?? Regardless it doesn't change the fact that LU was supposed to be ground zero and it didn't happen. BTW Italian doctors said today the virus has lost it's potency in Italy so much that it virtually no longer exists in Italy.
 #28475  by soconjohn
 Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:07 am
Certain countries are starting to show "herd immunity" in Europe...Soccer has been going on 3 weeks now in Germany, albeit without fans...Spain's La Liga's return is projected for June 11..Italy will be back on June 20 with fans...Premier League has targeted a date of return, as has the French Open....I think we're going to see football this fall..If these go well in terms of the virus not firing up again...It will be good news for football season I think.

https://www.chiesaditotti.com/2020/5/28 ... eturn-date
 #28477  by Fessor
 Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:24 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:44 pm
Fessor wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Source?? Regardless it doesn't change the fact that LU was supposed to be ground zero and it didn't happen. BTW Italian doctors said today the virus has lost it's potency in Italy so much that it virtually no longer exists in Italy.
The majority of people in that age group are likely asymptomatic carriers; so, testing does matter if you're going to claim no infections.

I believe that was "AN Italian doctor" and it was based on anecdote, not on analysis of viral genome for mutation. Share the link.
hypercycloid liked this
 #28478  by Fessor
 Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:34 am
soconjohn wrote:
Certain countries are starting to show "herd immunity" in Europe...Soccer has been going on 3 weeks now in Germany, albeit without fans...Spain's La Liga's return is projected for June 11..Italy will be back on June 20 with fans...Premier League has targeted a date of return, as has the French Open....I think we're going to see football this fall..If these go well in terms of the virus not firing up again...It will be good news for football season I think.

Can you share your source?

Most reasonable definitions of herd immunity are for 60% of population to have neutralizing antibodies. Even the hardest hit cities are far from achieving herd immunity:

NYC 19.9%
London 17.5%
Barcelona. 7.1%

Chelsea outside of Boston, which has been very hard hit, only has 10%.
Stockholm, where there was no stay-at-home, only has 7%.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... d=tw-share
 #28479  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:13 am
Fessor wrote:
soconjohn wrote:

Most reasonable definitions of herd immunity are for 60% of population to have neutralizing antibodies. Even the hardest hit cities are far from achieving herd immunity:

NYC 19.9%
London 17.5%
Barcelona. 7.1%

But where do these low estimates come from? Serology tests. When Stanford and USC used serology and came up with high infection rates that embarrassed east coast experts, they were viciously attacked as a bunch of right wing morons.

Regarding Liberty, it is at least worth noting that the national press did not attack UCLA or Arizona State for following similar policies. The NYT did not violate those schools’ lockdowns by sneaking onto campus and did not print anecdotal stories about outbreaks. Just because Falwell is paranoid, it doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get him.

By the way, if we for some reason expect college students to be infected, why is it beneficial to scatter them to the winds instead of keeping them on campuses?
 #28483  by apaladin
 Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:32 pm
Just got an email for Dins Day that looks like it is for academics only? No sports? Am I wrong?
 #28484  by Fessor
 Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Bullshit. They've had cases. They're lying saying they've had none.

"Lead physician Thomas W Eppes Jr confirmed in the report that nearly a dozen Liberty students showed symptoms of Covid-19 since returning to campus.

According to Eppes, of three off campus students tested, one was positive, one negative and the results are pending for the third. Eight other students were told to self-isolate.

“We’ve lost the ability to corral this thing,” Eppes told Falwell before the school’s reopening.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... falwell-jr
Last edited by Fessor on Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #28486  by Fessor
 Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:57 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:13 am
Fessor wrote:
soconjohn wrote:

NYC 19.9%
London 17.5%
Barcelona. 7.1%

But where do these low estimates come from? Serology tests. When Stanford and USC used serology and came up with high infection rates that embarrassed east coast experts, they were viciously attacked as a bunch of right wing morons.

Regarding Liberty, it is at least worth noting that the national press did not attack UCLA or Arizona State for following similar policies. The NYT did not violate those schools’ lockdowns by sneaking onto campus and did not print anecdotal stories about outbreaks. Just because Falwell is paranoid, it doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get him.

By the way, if we for some reason expect college students to be infected, why is it beneficial to scatter them to the winds instead of keeping them on campuses?
An issue with inferring from any sample is representativeness of the sample. The concerns with the Stanford test, as I recall, and with the NYC pregnant females and the recents "people while shopping" testing was sampling bias (i.e., the sample was not representative of the whole).

Liberty is not testing suspected covid cases. They're lying if they say they've not had cases. They're either sending students to the ED or just not testing for SARS-cov-2. In the Spring, there's no way they've had only 8 students present to their infirmary with fever and flu-like symptoms.
 #28489  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:14 pm
UCLA claims 2 I believe. Bunch of damn Trump train liars.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:25 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by bj93

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.