#28298  by aqualung
 Mon May 25, 2020 10:59 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:52 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:32 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:24 pm
At least on the surface it looks like ECU got it right. FU did not. I know there are differences in the 2.
Go tell that to the ECU athletes that got cut.
Agreed no cuts are good. There may be and prolly are more cuts to come. So far of the 350+ D1 schools only a very few have found it necessary to go the chopping block route.
Exactly. Out of ~350 D1 schools only a handfull have made cuts. I'm shocked by all the apologists on here. Is it too much to ask that Furman be a top notch institution in all respects? But no, we're on this short list of unfortunate schools that made cuts to athletics. As stated in prior posts, this is either a result of poor financial management or lack of vision/shortsightedness/bad judgement. Either case is not what I expected from Furman. 124 year tradition of playing BB down the drain. I loved following the team and watching them take down a couple of "Big Schools" every year. Such pride those victories provided to students and alumni...now gone. Really a bad decision. Apparently the admins could not properly calculate the true ROI BB and LAX provided.
apaladin liked this
 #28328  by Paul C
 Tue May 26, 2020 12:45 pm
In this debate you either agree or disagree that the current state of FU sponsoring more sports, having more athletic scholarships, and the largest athletic budget in the SoCon (despite getting no public funding and being one of the smallest schools in the conf) was not sustainable.

We can go back and use hindsight to say taking $5m from David Trone to start lacrosse maybe a bad move. But those decision makers are long gone, and the current Admin had to deal with the hand they were dealt, and deal with it in a Title IX compliant way. That left little choice.
 #28330  by apaladin
 Tue May 26, 2020 1:44 pm
We will just have to disagree that this was the only choice. Wheter or not FU kept baseball and/or Lacrosse Furman would/will survive and flourish. Cutting 2 sports is not the difference in keeping the doors open or not. What difference does it make if Furman's net worth is a couple of million less? it is still a very rich school by most standards. Speaking of the Trone brothers I wonder if they would kick in some to save these. Prolly not, I guess FU has burnt that bridge with last week's decicions. I am afraid FU will regret these decisions if for no other reason than the bad publicity and far more reachimg aspects down the road. The Greenville community, the stare, regionally and nationally as a whole Furman is not in good standing. BTW we are still waiting on that flood of other schools cutting sports. :D
aqualung liked this
 #28331  by Affirm
 Tue May 26, 2020 1:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
We will just have to disagree that this was the only choice. Wheter or not FU kept baseball and/or Lacrosse Furman would/will survive and flourish. Cutting 2 sports is not the difference in keeping the doors open or not. What difference does it make if Furman's net worth is a couple of million less? it is still a very rich school by most standards. Speaking of the Trone brothers I wonder if they would kick in some to save these. Prolly not, I guess FU has burnt that bridge with last week's decicions. I am afraid FU will regret these decisions if for no other reason than the bad publicity and far more reachimg aspects down the road. The Greenville community, the stare, regionally and nationally as a whole Furman is not in good standing. BTW we are still waiting on that flood of other schools cutting sports. :D
I choose to trust the wisdom of the administrators and Board of Trustees who unanimously approved the cuts. I think they know a lot more than any of us know about whether the cuts were/are needed for Furman to succeed, particularly within the parameters of Furman’s strategic plan.
 #28332  by apaladin
 Tue May 26, 2020 2:25 pm
On channel 4 last night, Wofford's Richard Johnson said it well. He said they would cut costs by doing what is needed instead of what you would like to do. He mentioned traveling the day of a game instead of the day before. Saves many hotel rooms, meals etc. There are ways to cut costs without cutting your throat.
aqualung liked this
 #28333  by aqualung
 Tue May 26, 2020 2:52 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I choose to trust the wisdom of the administrators and Board of Trustees who unanimously approved the cuts. I think they know a lot more than any of us know about whether the cuts were/are needed for Furman to succeed, particularly within the parameters of Furman’s strategic plan.
Boy, that Kool-Aid must taste great.
apaladin liked this
 #28343  by Paul C
 Tue May 26, 2020 9:02 pm
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/appalachi ... /19115063/

Sounds like they lifted this straight from our release....they can’t support 20 sports either. And dropped all men’s sports too.

“After careful and thoughtful review, we determined that we could no longer sustain 20 program offerings in a fiscally responsible manner.”
 #28347  by JohnW
 Tue May 26, 2020 11:11 pm
apaladin wrote:
On channel 4 last night, Wofford's Richard Johnson said it well. He said they would cut costs by doing what is needed instead of what you would like to do. He mentioned traveling the day of a game instead of the day before. Saves many hotel rooms, meals etc. There are ways to cut costs without cutting your throat.
Gonna make the rifle teams sleep in the car instead of Motel 6.
 #28351  by The Jackal
 Wed May 27, 2020 8:03 am
Paul C wrote:

Sounds like they lifted this straight from our release....they can’t support 20 sports either. And dropped all men’s sports too.

“After careful and thoughtful review, we determined that we could no longer sustain 20 program offerings in a fiscally responsible manner.”
Curiously, they appear to cut indoor track and field, but not outdoor track and field.

I'm not a track guy, but wouldn't these largely be the same athletes? If you cut indoor track, but not outdoor track or cross country, how much are you actually saving?
 #28352  by Affirm
 Wed May 27, 2020 10:46 am
JohnW wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:11 pm
apaladin wrote:
Gonna make the rifle teams sleep in the car instead of Motel 6.
Gonna have rifle competition via Zoom.
 #28353  by Affirm
 Wed May 27, 2020 10:48 am
aqualung wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:52 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Boy, that Kool-Aid must taste great.
Yes, it is just right. Purple.
 #28356  by Fred Garvin
 Wed May 27, 2020 11:24 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:03 am
Paul C wrote:

Same athletes but cutting travel costs. Most of the indoor schools run at places like the new indoor facility at USC. They took the 40 year old indoor football building and turned it into the fastest indoor track going right now. Some great times being posted.

Furman still the only school in the south to drop baseball?

Curiously, they appear to cut indoor track and field, but not outdoor track and field.

I'm not a track guy, but wouldn't these largely be the same athletes? If you cut indoor track, but not outdoor track or cross country, how much are you actually saving?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.