apaladin wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:29 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:32 pm
tim wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:25 pm
So much for that nice fairly new baseball facility. Hard to be impressed with the financial management
Not to mention the stadium update. Terrible just terrible. I bet Dan Scott is very upset. Baseball is his favorite. Furman is getting ripped a new one on social media. Very bad pub.
What exactly and realistically would you have done if you were the President, the AD, or a member of the Board of Trustees?
I am proud of the courageous decision-making in the context of a very difficult, very real situation.
NOTHING! Furman is not a poor school. What is cutting these sports going to accomplish? Will this keep the doors open? Won’t even be noticeable to the bottom line. Funny Wofford, PC CSU, Erskine, can afford baseball but FU can’t.
PC is going non-scholarship in football. Erskine is D2. CSU is awful in just about every sport. Wofford has historically been awful in most sports outside football and men's basketball. What I will say though is Wofford has 20 sports and is much smaller than Furman. How are they keeping the lights on? My guess is they spend substantially less than Furman in most sports outside of the top two. I'm sure that model was considered, but I get not wanting to just have warm bodies in a number of sports and actually wanting to be competitive.
If there’s one thing I agree with in this decision it’s to not sacrifice the success the other non-core sports are having to keep 20 teams. Soccer, tennis, golf, XC, and track are all very competitive. They just don’t generate any revenue and it wouldn’t make sense to cut any of those programs with return it would offer. I’m sure the decision came down to cutting baseball or cutting three of those successful sports. That would also be bad publicity. Just wish there had been enough planning, foresight, or patience to avoid this cut in the first place.
fufanatic liked this
 #28030  by The Jackal
 Tue May 19, 2020 10:39 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:35 am
fufanatic wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:14 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:29 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:32 pm
tim wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:25 pm
So much for that nice fairly new baseball facility. Hard to be impressed with the financial management
Not to mention the stadium update. Terrible just terrible. I bet Dan Scott is very upset. Baseball is his favorite. Furman is getting ripped a new one on social media. Very bad pub.
What exactly and realistically would you have done if you were the President, the AD, or a member of the Board of Trustees?
I am proud of the courageous decision-making in the context of a very difficult, very real situation.
NOTHING! Furman is not a poor school. What is cutting these sports going to accomplish? Will this keep the doors open? Won’t even be noticeable to the bottom line. Funny Wofford, PC CSU, Erskine, can afford baseball but FU can’t.
PC is going non-scholarship in football. Erskine is D2. CSU is awful in just about every sport. Wofford has historically been awful in most sports outside football and men's basketball. What I will say though is Wofford has 20 sports and is much smaller than Furman. How are they keeping the lights on? My guess is they spend substantially less than Furman in most sports outside of the top two. I'm sure that model was considered, but I get not wanting to just have warm bodies in a number of sports and actually wanting to be competitive.
If there’s one thing I agree with in this decision it’s to not sacrifice the success the other non-core sports are having to keep 20 teams. Soccer, tennis, golf, XC, and track are all very competitive. They just don’t generate any revenue and it wouldn’t make sense to cut any of those programs with return it would offer. I’m sure the decision came down to cutting baseball or cutting three of those successful sports. That would also be bad publicity. Just wish there had been enough planning, foresight, or patience to avoid this cut in the first place.
Just jumping back to look through the Commissioner's cup standings, the only men's sport where I think we don't have a top 3 program is baseball.

We technically have a top 3 lacrosse program, but there are only three.
 #28074  by Paladin91
 Tue May 19, 2020 2:52 pm
So Donelley states "Moving forward, Furman Athletics will operate as an 18-sport varsity program that supports academic and athletic excellence, financial stability, gender equity and sustainable competitive success with an emphasis on revenue generation and philanthropy."...

We're talking about gender equity, but won't we now have 7 men's sports (with lacrosse and baseball gone), and 9 women's sports? Is that equitable? Or is he talking exclusively from the standpoint of scholarships?
 #28079  by The Jackal
 Tue May 19, 2020 3:28 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
So Donelley states "Moving forward, Furman Athletics will operate as an 18-sport varsity program that supports academic and athletic excellence, financial stability, gender equity and sustainable competitive success with an emphasis on revenue generation and philanthropy."...

We're talking about gender equity, but won't we now have 7 men's sports (with lacrosse and baseball gone), and 9 women's sports? Is that equitable? Or is he talking exclusively from the standpoint of scholarships?
I mean, one of the men's sports has like triple or quadruple the number of scholarship spots.
paladinfan12 liked this
 #28087  by fufanatic
 Tue May 19, 2020 4:09 pm
Paladin91 wrote:

Looks like Furman is 59% female and 41% male according to U.S. News and World Report's yearly roundup. Couldn't find the info on Furman's website to confirm. So having 10 women's sports and 8 men's actually lines up pretty well with the actual breakdown on campus.

Also, as Jackal mentions, football has 63 scholarships, which is not easily replicable on the women's side without a sport like rowing. It takes a few extra sports to help even the playing field on that front.
Affirm liked this
 #28088  by fufanatic
 Tue May 19, 2020 4:15 pm
The website below will answer all questions on Title IX, which is more complicated than you might think. Basically a university is compliant when it meets three Title IX points, including at least 1 of 3 prongs of the first point. Guessing Furman hit prongs 1 and 2 of the 1st point.

"An institution must meet all of the following requirements in order to be in compliance with Title IX:

- For participation requirements, institutions officials must meet one of the following three tests. An institution may:
  • Provide participation opportunities for women and men that are substantially proportionate to their respective rates of enrollment of full-time undergraduate students;

Demonstrate a history and continuing practice of program expansion for the underrepresented sex;

Fully and effectively accommodate the interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex; and,
- Female and male student-athletes must receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation; and,

- Equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the eleven provisions as mentioned above."

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inc ... -questions
 #28142  by Davemeister
 Wed May 20, 2020 2:53 pm
Title IX is obsolete.

Who's to say anymore whether a student athlete is male or female? Should gender be determined by genitalia? That's Neanderthal! DNA testing? Too binary! It's "gender identity" that matters.

If we can get half of our football players to identify as female, then the problem is solved and the numbers will work out nicely.
 #28144  by Affirm
 Wed May 20, 2020 3:00 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:53 pm
Title IX is obsolete.

Who's to say anymore whether a student athlete is male or female? Should gender be determined by genitalia? That's Neanderthal! DNA testing? Too binary! It's "gender identity" that matters.

If we can get half of our football players to identify as female, then the problem is solved and the numbers will work out nicely.
If we can get half to identify as F, the other half would all quit; and/or our level of competitiveness would decline.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.