• Sad day in Furman Athletics

#27980  by Fuonetime
 Mon May 18, 2020 10:29 pm
Sad day in FU athletics as we eliminate Baseball and Men’s Lacrosse and make other cost reducing moves. Wh at is the future of FU athletics and basketball in particular? Big decisions for AD, President and Board members. Hope they get it right.
gofurman liked this
 #27982  by gofurman
 Mon May 18, 2020 10:41 pm
Fuonetime wrote:
Sad day in FU athletics as we eliminate Baseball and Men’s Lacrosse and make other cost reducing moves. Wh at is the future of FU athletics and basketball in particular? Big decisions for AD, President and Board members. Hope they get it right.
VERY VERY SAD
Fuonetime liked this
 #27985  by apaladin
 Mon May 18, 2020 10:52 pm
Fuonetime wrote:
Not much hope for them getting it right as they’ve already screwed up. Unfortunately this will have a very negative Impact on FU athletics and very bad message sent across the country. I am afraid this will start a downward spiral in FU sports just when we were riding high. Very negative for recruiting. Couldn’t come at a worse time.
Fuonetime liked this
 #27989  by FUPlayer74
 Mon May 18, 2020 11:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fuonetime wrote:
Not much hope for them getting it right as they’ve already screwed up. Unfortunately this will have a very negative Impact on FU athletics and very bad message sent across the country. I am afraid this will start a downward spiral in FU sports just when we were riding high. Very negative for recruiting. Couldn’t come at a worse time.
These changes were coming without Covid. The virus just pushed the decision forward.
Affirm, Roundball liked this
 #27991  by apaladin
 Mon May 18, 2020 11:40 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fuonetime wrote:
These changes were coming without Covid. The virus just pushed the decision forward.
Still doesn’t make it right or any less tolerable. Why did they improve the baseball stadium last year? Why cut a sport that actually benefits the university,
Fuonetime liked this
 #27999  by Fuonetime
 Tue May 19, 2020 7:54 am
In the statement Furman released the position outlined was that “The university was already in the process of developing a comprehensive long-term strategy for its athletics programs...” it is a shame that this act of cutting the the athletic programs was not accompanied by a vision and commitment to our athletic programs going forward. The University must layout a plan and get the alumni to rally behind it. Basketball has been strong for 5 years and is on the cusp of new breakthroughs. Will we move forward or retreat? Where is the strategy?
 #28027  by fufanatic
 Tue May 19, 2020 10:31 am
PaladinPower wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:16 am
Jason Donnelly said on a Sports Talk radio show that there is a plan to invest in the revenue generating sports of football and basketball.

That's great news. Sounds like no scholarship reductions in football.
Fuonetime liked this
 #28033  by apaladin
 Tue May 19, 2020 10:50 am
fufanatic wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
Jason Donnelly said on a Sports Talk radio show that there is a plan to invest in the revenue generating sports of football and basketball.

Don’t count on it. The negative publicity will take a while to overcome. This is really going to hurt recruiting and overall support of all Furman teams. I really don’t think we can fathom how huge a negative impact this is going to have on Furman sports and the university itself.
 #28040  by Fuonetime
 Tue May 19, 2020 11:08 am
Excellent comments by our AD on sports talk. Recommend everyone listen to his remarks. You might also want to send him an email. FYI, the following was my email to Jason: Dear Jason,

I enjoyed your comments on sports talk. It gave better clarification after recent cuts. I suggest Furman release a vision/strategy going forward Very soon. The Furman community needs to where we are going and our priorities. I especially follow men’s basketball and want to see the program grow and not regress. We also have other programs that bring regional and national recognition and need support even though they don’t bring in revenue. I would Recommend releasing the strategy before Dins Day and use that as a time to “rally the troops” to support our future. Thanks for your leadership.
 #28043  by Roundball
 Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 am
apaladin wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:

Don’t count on it. The negative publicity will take a while to overcome. This is really going to hurt recruiting and overall support of all Furman teams. I really don’t think we can fathom how huge a negative impact this is going to have on Furman sports and the university itself.
You should come in off the ledge. Nothing you say is going to happen.
The old blue crab liked this
 #28061  by Fessor
 Tue May 19, 2020 1:27 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 am
apaladin wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:

You should come in off the ledge. Nothing you say is going to happen.
I admire his/her/its passion; however, he/she/it is consistently short-sighted and wrong.
din23 liked this
 #28064  by apaladin
 Tue May 19, 2020 1:49 pm
Fuonetime wrote:
Excellent comments by our AD on sports talk. Recommend everyone listen to his remarks. You might also want to send him an email. FYI, the following was my email to Jason: Dear Jason,

I enjoyed your comments on sports talk. It gave better clarification after recent cuts. I suggest Furman release a vision/strategy going forward Very soon. The Furman community needs to where we are going and our priorities. I especially follow men’s basketball and want to see the program grow and not regress. We also have other programs that bring regional and national recognition and need support even though they don’t bring in revenue. I would Recommend releasing the strategy before Dins Day and use that as a time to “rally the troops” to support our future. Thanks for your leadership.
Hey fuonetime, did you receive a reply? I have written JD 2 or 3 times since he has been here and he has never replied. In the past I have emailed Gary Clark and Mike Buddie several times and they always replied in a timely manor. Just wondering if this Is JD’s normal MO of ignoring supporters.
 #28066  by Affirm
 Tue May 19, 2020 1:52 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:49 pm
Fuonetime wrote:

Hey fuonetime, did you receive a reply? I have written JD 2 or 3 times since he has been here and he has never replied. In the past I have emailed Gary Clark and Mike Buddie several times and they always replied in a timely manor. Just wondering if this Is JD’s normal MO of ignoring supporters.
I expect he’s been super busy.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by FUATT

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:38 pm

User avatar TV

by MNORM

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:29 pm

Default Avatar WCU at Montana

by RoanokeGreensboro80

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:28 pm

Default Avatar WCU at Montana

by RoanokeGreensboro80

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:28 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by rangab

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:19 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.