• The 2020 Season

#27938  by gofurman
 Mon May 18, 2020 5:14 pm
http://news.furman.edu/2020/05/18/furma ... -lacrosse/

There’s your answer
We are apparently cutting baseball and lacrosse completely for the time being. And Cutting 45 scholarships overall. We may see a real dip in our quality of football soon. Say they cut 7 football scholarships. 63 to 56. Whose to say that those 7 didn’t include Dakota Dozier or someone. Man this stinks.
 #27966  by apaladin
 Mon May 18, 2020 8:31 pm
gofurman wrote:

There’s your answer
We are apparently cutting baseball and lacrosse completely for the time being. And Cutting 45 scholarships overall. We may see a real dip in our quality of football soon. Say they cut 7 football scholarships. 63 to 56. Whose to say that those 7 didn’t include Dakota Dozier or someone. Man this stinks.
Not only does it stink but it smells funny.
 #27981  by gofurman
 Mon May 18, 2020 10:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:31 pm
gofurman wrote:

There’s your answer
Not only does it stink but it smells funny.
My concern is that even if other SoCon schools do likewise if the NDSUs of the world do not ... then the SoCon isn't likely to field a competitive football team for the playoffs. And we have to hear from the KSUs of the world who might have a 7 scholarship advantage which is HUGE. Not that it can't be overcome but (using 7) 56 scholarships allows for almost no injuries in football. Or a bunch of partial scholarship players. Without a doubt you are starting from behind the less scholarships you have. 62.. ok. But 60 or less is a killer
 #27983  by gofurman
 Mon May 18, 2020 10:43 pm
The 2 quotes that concern me the most "The university was already in the process of developing a comprehensive long-term strategy for its athletics programs in alignment with its investment in its academic mission and vision, The Furman Advantage. The financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic accelerated this process."

Could be we were already planning to do something similar? Which is a very SCARY thought to the few of us that try to attend games and support FU athletics.

And then this - as you all have pointed out... I don't quite know what to make of it. 45 MORE scholarships? 45 to INCLUDE the baseball and LAX teams? 45 MORE would be a killer to most everything. I don't want a Davidson model of football-for-fun. PLLLLLEEASE no. "Discontinuing the baseball and men's lacrosse programs immediately, and reducing the total number of athletics scholarships by 45 over the next five years, with the reductions spread across multiple sports.
 #27984  by gofurman
 Mon May 18, 2020 10:50 pm
Jason Donnelly said this in his statement "While we were in the final stages of deciding on a path forward, the COVID-19 pandemic struck, and the necessity for more immediate action was clear, as revenues for both the university as a whole as well as for the athletics department have already – and will continue to – decline significantly. The university retained national consultants, including athletics finance experts, to advise us on how best to move forward. In the end, the decision was made to no longer sponsor Baseball and Men's Lacrosse, and to reduce the number of athletics scholarships offered from 200 to 155 over a five-year period, which will save the University up to $5 million annually in future years but continue to allow our remaining 18 athletic programs to be competitive. The Board of Trustees, President Davis and I all support this decision."

Can someone smarter than me read into the numbers/tea leaves and help me understand is that meaning the reduction of 45 scholarships INCLUDES baseball and LAX? or will we be cutting 45 more scholarships? thanks in advance
 #27987  by apaladin
 Mon May 18, 2020 11:01 pm
Some on here have advocated non-scholly football and it looks like we are headed in that direction. I am afraid this is just the start and the end of FU sports that I have enjoyed and supported my entire life. I am really depressed over this decision.
 #28003  by Affirm
 Tue May 19, 2020 8:55 am
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:59 pm
Endowment losses? Huh. Who is running the endowment...Bernie madoff? Wake up sheep.
I believe the President, the administration (including the athletics director), and the Furman University Board of Trustees (which UNANIMOUSLY approved the cuts) are all very smart, wise, thoughtful people.
It is time for everyone who cares about Furman to stop the criticism and to renew and increase the levels of support, in every possible way.
The totality of everything I have read makes me believe that correct and necessary decisions were made and need to be implemented.
MidlandsPaladin, Roundball, Fuonetime and 2 others liked this
 #28010  by Flagman
 Tue May 19, 2020 9:18 am
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Endowment losses? Huh. Who is running the endowment...Bernie madoff? Wake up sheep.
My endowment (aka retirement fund) took a similar % hit because of the virus. And it never goes back up as quickly as it drops. It has nothing to do with management.
Affirm, Roundball liked this
 #28012  by Affirm
 Tue May 19, 2020 9:24 am
Flagman wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:18 am
Rokawaylifer wrote:
My endowment (aka retirement fund) took a similar % hit because of the virus. And it never goes back up as quickly as it drops. It has nothing to do with management.
The like that I gave is for your post and statement, not for your (all of our) financial loss. 😞
 #28025  by fufanatic
 Tue May 19, 2020 10:28 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:50 pm
Jason Donnelly said this in his statement "While we were in the final stages of deciding on a path forward, the COVID-19 pandemic struck, and the necessity for more immediate action was clear, as revenues for both the university as a whole as well as for the athletics department have already – and will continue to – decline significantly. The university retained national consultants, including athletics finance experts, to advise us on how best to move forward. In the end, the decision was made to no longer sponsor Baseball and Men's Lacrosse, and to reduce the number of athletics scholarships offered from 200 to 155 over a five-year period, which will save the University up to $5 million annually in future years but continue to allow our remaining 18 athletic programs to be competitive. The Board of Trustees, President Davis and I all support this decision."

Can someone smarter than me read into the numbers/tea leaves and help me understand is that meaning the reduction of 45 scholarships INCLUDES baseball and LAX? or will we be cutting 45 more scholarships? thanks in advance
" reduce the number of athletics scholarships offered from 200 to 155 over a five-year period"

This makes me think that the 45 is inclusive of baseball and lax. At least I'm hoping so. Sounds like between the two sports there were about 22ish scholarships offered. That gets you halfway there.
din23 liked this
 #28031  by apaladin
 Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 am
affirm wrote:
Rokawaylifer wrote:
I believe the President, the administration (including the athletics director), and the Furman University Board of Trustees (which UNANIMOUSLY approved the cuts) are all very smart, wise, thoughtful people.
It is time for everyone who cares about Furman to stop the criticism and to renew and increase the levels of support, in every possible way.
The totality of everything I have read makes me believe that correct and necessary decisions were made and need to be implemented.
Easier said than done. A lot of people are very upset with this decision. No one loves Furman more than me and I have a sour taste in my mouth right now in regards to Furman. Twitter and other social media have blown up with negative comments. Our former QB Blaze said “something else could have been done and that he had never been so disappointed in his university”. The little bit of money they might save is a drop in the bucket. In the long run it will cost them more. This is really going to hurt recruiting in all sports.
 #28034  by The Jackal
 Tue May 19, 2020 10:54 am
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Easier said than done. A lot of people are very upset with this decision. No one loves Furman more than me and I have a sour taste in my mouth right now in regards to Furman. Twitter and other social media have blown up with negative comments. Our former QB Blaze said “something else could have been done and that he had never been so disappointed in his university”. The little bit of money they might save is a drop in the bucket. In the long run it will cost them more. This is really going to hurt recruiting in all sports.
I mean, maybe? Why would they willingly shoot themselves in the foot?

My guess is the writing was on the wall for the baseball program. You look at the players transferring out and this year's schedule, and it's hard for me to believe that wasn't a Hail Mary.
 #28038  by Roundball
 Tue May 19, 2020 11:03 am
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
Rokawaylifer wrote:
It is not going to hurt recruiting in all sports. If it does, then we have a much bigger issue. The other sports will be just fine. Students and athletes will still be thrilled to receive an offer from Furman.
 #28044  by apaladin
 Tue May 19, 2020 11:23 am
Roundball, we will have to disagree on the recruiting. The perception now is that Furman athletics is in financial stress. What sport will be next? Do I want to sign with a school that does not support their teams. Will the sport I play be the one cut next? Besides losing baseball I was under the impression that Furman was behind and dedicated to athletics. That was apparently delusional and is no longer the case. That hurts. I tell you right now I have been worrying a lot about the upcoming football season and really looking forward to and hoping football plays. Right now I’m not nearly as fired up about it after yesterday. Like I said I know I take this stuff way too seriously and it’s hard to change now but right now I am really down and disappointed with Furman. I don’t think I am alone.

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:11 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.