• The 2020 Season

#27879  by FUBeAR
 Fri May 15, 2020 8:59 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:59 pm
Anyone know how FUBeAR can set his DVR for this?

Friday night - I’ll be OUT at an OPEN Mexican restaurant in the great state of GA throwin’ back mucho margaritas! #TequilaKillsCovid #WoodwindsImmunity

Caught a little of this between sips of my $16 (ouch!) margarita...

NCAA Football man said we don’t need to make a decision until mid-July...and IF that decision happens to be a shortened (Fall) season, we’ll start figgerin’ it out then.

So...us groundhogs can go back into our holes; ain’t no feetsball decision comin’ for 6 weeks.
 #27889  by apaladin
 Sat May 16, 2020 4:38 pm
I am beginning to dislike the media more and more with their sensationalism headlines. SI “Missouri St. planning on not playing opener at Oklahoma” What he said was he could not count on that money in his budget but was hoping the game would still be played. The SI headline made it sound like they were definitely planning on not playing. Gessh! BTW I ate AT Waffle House this morning. 😁😁I was so excited. 😂😂
 #27891  by Affirm
 Sat May 16, 2020 5:54 pm
apaladin wrote:
I am beginning to dislike the media more and more with their sensationalism headlines. SI “Missouri St. planning on not playing opener at Oklahoma” What he said was he could not count on that money in his budget but was hoping the game would still be played. The SI headline made it sound like they were definitely planning on not playing. Gessh! BTW I ate AT Waffle House this morning. 😁😁I was so excited. 😂😂
I know, I said I would not be continuing to post about this topic. But this is an exception.
I understand what you are saying about the slant that media takes with headlines. I dislike that practice also.
However, if someone interviewed Jason Donnelly, he might let it slip information that would lead to a headline "Furman planning on not playing game at Tennessee." The interviewer might pry that out of Jason by asking Jason a question like "how do you envision the pandemic affecting Furman's athletics budget?", and Jason saying something along the lines of "we still definitely plan to play that game, but we are looking at various budgeting scenarios including one that would include our expected revenue if we cannot play Tennessee and get the payout which we very much need but would not get due to a 'force majeure' clause in the contract."
 #27892  by Roundball
 Sat May 16, 2020 6:19 pm
apaladin wrote:
“Report: Missouri State AD Budgeting to Not Play OU Game on Sept. 5” Seems like a logical headline to me.
 #27897  by The Jackal
 Sat May 16, 2020 10:34 pm
This is just me, but I have a difficult time believing that our athletic department would not be at least someone prepared for the eventuality that a "money game" would be cancelled. Games are cancelled seemingly every year for one reason or another. If we put all our eggs in one basket, then shame on us.

I do not know how the finances work, but we did play two FBS games last season and had 6 home games. Maybe playing two FBS games eases the burden if the UT game gets called.
 #27900  by apaladin
 Sun May 17, 2020 3:39 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
“Report: Missouri State AD Budgeting to Not Play OU Game on Sept. 5” Seems like a logical headline to me.
Agree that would have been better.
 #27901  by Roundball
 Sun May 17, 2020 6:27 am
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
That was the headline. https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/foo ... t-oklahoma
 #27902  by apaladin
 Sun May 17, 2020 10:03 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
That was not the original headline. They changed it. The original is what I posted. Must have gotten some heat over it.
 #27903  by 76MrMoto
 Sun May 17, 2020 12:11 pm
Good article on this subject in today's "Louisville Courier Journal" at https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 076132001/ .

Here is quote from the article "Among FCS football programs, 98% lose money each year. In fact, those that lose money — all but three teams — have a median deficit of $2.4 million. Their benefits from football instead are more intangible: exposure and school pride. Those programs would miss out on those aspects, and there would be lost revenue without a season, but that financial loss could be made up in saved expenditures like travel and operation costs across all fall sports ".
 #27904  by Affirm
 Sun May 17, 2020 12:45 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:03 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
That was not the original headline. They changed it. The original is what I posted. Must have gotten some heat over it.
They obviously pay close attention to gopaladins.com.
Rokawaylifer liked this
 #27905  by apaladin
 Sun May 17, 2020 12:47 pm
Prolly more likely OU and Mo. St. took exception to the headline. ;)
 #27918  by Flagman
 Mon May 18, 2020 3:51 pm
Surely, SoCon AD's are having similar daily conversations.