• SoCon announces cost containment measures for 2020-21

#27842  by apaladin
 Thu May 14, 2020 2:44 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:00 pm
Wasn’t sure where to post this. https://soconsports.com/news/2020/5/14/ ... 20-21.aspx
Another over-reaction and way too soon to make these kind of decisions, Reducing the baseball weekend series from 3 to 2 days? How is that a cost savings. Pretty sure the vast majority will still require a 2 night stay. Is Furman going to bus to Birmingham, Greensboro, Birmingham, Charleston etc the day of a game and then play? Didn’t they just save a lot of money by not having spring sports? Why go messing with sports a year away? Just more we got to get on the band wagon and announce something hogwash!
 #27843  by Roundball
 Thu May 14, 2020 2:55 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:44 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:00 pm
Wasn’t sure where to post this. https://soconsports.com/news/2020/5/14/ ... 20-21.aspx
Another over-reaction and way too soon to make these kind of decisions, Reducing the baseball weekend series from 3 to 2 days? How is that a cost savings. Pretty sure the vast majority will still require a 2 night stay. Is Furman going to bus to Birmingham, Greensboro, Birmingham, Charleston etc the day of a game and then play? Just more we got to get on the band wagon and announce something hogwash!
Many of the other conferences have already announced similar measures. Get used to and accept it. Have a glass half full attitude. Just be glad sports are coming back.
MNORM liked this
 #27876  by fufanatic
 Fri May 15, 2020 5:39 pm
All those measures make a ton of sense. Bummer that only top 4 make it to conference tourney in many sports, but understand why they have to do it. Thankfully they are only scheduled for one year at this time.

As far as baseball, my guess is the team will leave on Friday for most road trips, play Saturday and Sunday and come back. Saves a night in a hotel and also limit amount of class time missed. Whichever day is the doubleheader will be long, but oh well. The guys are used to them.
 #27894  by apaladin
 Sat May 16, 2020 8:08 pm
IF these decisions “have” to be made, why do it now? A year in advance? No one knows what next spring will be like. Like I said they just saved a bunch of money this spring by not having spring sports.
 #27898  by The Jackal
 Sat May 16, 2020 10:34 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:08 pm
IF these decisions “have” to be made, why do it now? A year in advance? No one knows what next spring will be like. Like I said they just saved a bunch of money this spring by not having spring sports.
I would think that you can't just rent one of these venues on a few weeks notice.
 #27951  by apaladin
 Mon May 18, 2020 6:32 pm
tim wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:25 pm
So much for that nice fairly new baseball facility. Hard to be impressed with the financial management
Not to mention the stadium update. Terrible just terrible. I bet Dan Scott is very upset. Baseball is his favorite. Furman is getting ripped a new one on social media. Very bad pub.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #27964  by Affirm
 Mon May 18, 2020 8:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
tim wrote:
So much for that nice fairly new baseball facility. Hard to be impressed with the financial management
Not to mention the stadium update. Terrible just terrible. I bet Dan Scott is very upset. Baseball is his favorite. Furman is getting ripped a new one on social media. Very bad pub.
What exactly and realistically would you have done if you were the President, the AD, or a member of the Board of Trustees?
I am proud of the courageous decision-making in the context of a very difficult, very real situation.
 #27965  by apaladin
 Mon May 18, 2020 8:29 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
tim wrote:
What exactly and realistically would you have done if you were the President, the AD, or a member of the Board of Trustees?
I am proud of the courageous decision-making in the context of a very difficult, very real situation.
NOTHING! Furman is not a poor school. What is cutting these sports going to accomplish? Will this keep the doors open? Won’t even be noticeable to the bottom line. Funny Wofford, PC CSU, Erskine, can afford baseball but FU can’t.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.