• The 2020 Season

#27809  by apaladin
 Wed May 13, 2020 9:56 pm
“Safe” is now a catch phrase. We were never “safe” before the virus. We won’t be safe after the virus. We will never be “safe”.
tim, fupaladin01, dornb liked this
 #27812  by Roundball
 Thu May 14, 2020 6:42 am
Interesting article in the USA Today and in today’s Greenville News about how no football would affect non P5 schools. Most of the emphasis is on FCS schools. Especially noteworthy is the comment that 98% of FCS teams lose money. Check out this article from USA TODAY:

What about the little guy? How no fall football could affect non-Power 5 schools

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 114986001/
 #27813  by tim
 Thu May 14, 2020 8:01 am
The most accurate things in the article are 1. It is impossible to predict things 3-4 months in the future and 2.The greatest benefit of FCS is exposure and school pride. Its intangible. If it was all about ROI, Furman should drop athletics period. I would suggest paying some attention to the number of major school donors connected with the football program first though.
 #27814  by tim
 Thu May 14, 2020 8:10 am
FU3 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:19 pm
People are going to go to the bathroom (as we all know not exactly state of the art filtration and air flow system in our facilities) move thru narrow tunnels between the concourse and seats etc. I will be happy to make a bet that Furman will absolutely require masks and make significant changes to seating should games be played. The really tough question is how to keep players, coaches and staff safe in an environment where any social distancing by the nature of the game is impossible. Add to the fact that college age kids in general and sports teams specifically are going to spend lots of time together outside of formal settings no matter what rules are put in place. I assume countless hours are being spent trying to figure out how to accomplish all this while minimizing risks.
Whats the bet?
 #27816  by apaladin
 Thu May 14, 2020 8:18 am
Cruise bookings for August are up 600 percent from last year. If people can go on a cruise in August we should be able to go to a football game in September IMHO.
 #27817  by Roundball
 Thu May 14, 2020 8:19 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:18 am
Cruise bookings for August are up 600 percent from last year. If people can go on a cruise in August we should be able to go to a football game in September IMHO.
Those people going on a cruise are foolish. I hope they stay away from football games.
 #27819  by Furmanoid
 Thu May 14, 2020 9:44 am
Virginia seems like a state to watch close. VMI is the only team in our conference that looks really iffy simply because they are in VA. The ACC schedule would also be hosed if VA shuts down(it’s already probable that Syracuse and BC are toast). I wonder if FU would replace VMI with Clemson or UNC and turn this season into a real moneymaker.
 #27820  by apaladin
 Thu May 14, 2020 9:49 am
Heard Mickey say on the radio that if you are under the age of 24 you have a less than 1 in a million chance of dying from the virus. You have a better chance of being struck and killed by lightning and they want to cancel college classes and football. “Makes sense to me” he said, lol.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #27821  by Furmanoid
 Thu May 14, 2020 10:28 am
Yep there is much talk about testing schemes to keep the players safe when they are already pretty safe. I would only be concerned about obese players. I would sit them if they are too fat. But even that doesn’t make much sense because they will probably get it anyway (most of us will), so it would be better just to make sure they aren’t fat. If there is some testing scheme, then what about high school? There’s no way there will capacity for weekly HS testing.
 #27823  by FU3
 Thu May 14, 2020 10:49 am
How many Furman professors and staff are either over 60 or have pre existing medical conditions ?Does Micky have those stats handy? The CDC now has explicit recommendations on school returns and how to do them as “safely “ as possible. If Furman returns I have confidence they have developed a plan other than hope.
 #27824  by FU3
 Thu May 14, 2020 10:54 am
Tim I will bet a $50 donation to the Paladin Club.. since you asked you are in right?
 #27826  by Furmanoid
 Thu May 14, 2020 11:53 am
Now you are talking about operating the school which is different from running an outdoor fb game. Old and infirm Profs will not suit up. Actually I would expect that old professors will probably consider retirement. They are grown and have at least average intelligence so they should be able to evaluate the risk. There is a ton of unused space at FU so tweaking the schedule a little bit will keep classes small. Don’t see how you fully open without the dorms though, so you just have to accept that there will be lots of rona. K-12 is a much, much bigger problem, and we aren’t going to shut that down.
 #27827  by Roundball
 Thu May 14, 2020 12:19 pm
We should know by the end of this month. I expect some sort of football, but with few fans and no concessions. No tailgating. No Paladin Walk. Pee before you come to the game.