• The 2020 Season

#27688  by apaladin
 Fri May 08, 2020 1:26 pm
GF-Agree. If it went back to 16 teams all the teams in the SoCon would more than likely be out except for the champion. One of the reasons for expanding was to give more conferences auto bids such as non-scholarships leagues. IIRC when it went from 16 to 24, of the 8 new slots 5 went to auto bids and 3 to at-large. The auto qualifiers went from 9 to 14 and the at-large went from 7 to 10. If it went back to 16 I think there would only be 2 at-large bids. If you’re a SoCon or just an FCS fan 16 teams makes no sense now.
 #27689  by Affirm
 Fri May 08, 2020 4:40 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:11 am
I kind of wonder if they will stick to the 6 ft thing. I know the standard rule for infectious disease control in icu or bone marrow transplant settings was always 3 ft in my experience (Augusta and Atlanta). Closer than 3ft you wear a mask. That’s for stuff just as contagious as rona though not as deadly for most of us. But for a bmt patient everything is deadly hence the need for a rule. Then the distance in public morphed to 6 ft during this crisis then 6 plus a mask. It seems like public health doctors overruling doctors who work in hospitals. But anyway there is clearly a dispersion difference between indoors and outdoors so maybe they’ll use a more realistic spacing especially if masks are being worn and the sick stay home. They could also have maybe one really spread out section for the old and compromised. I don’t see the point in spreading out the student section since they will immediately unspread after the game.
I respect the experience you have evidently had in infectious disease control and bone marrow transplant settings. I respect you in general. At the same time, I also believe that the 6 feet distance separation should be a clear rule and should be respected. Actually, even where it is a rule, it seems to be disobeyed very often. And I have read that 8-10 feet separation is what is truly needed for effectiveness. I think in a football game spectator setting, where people are jumping up and down and yelling/chanting loudly and continuously (well, supposedly, though maybe not quite so much at Furman football games), 8-10 feet would be definitely necessary because droplets carrying the contagious virus from people’s mouths and noses travel through the air for farther than just 5-6 feet.
Four months from now, the way that many people have already been so lackadaisical about being cautious, I can imagine people will act like 6 feet is more like 2 feet, and 3 feet more like 1 foot. In any case, I hope that Furman University will choose to be a leader and role model in the direction of having an abundance of caution.
76MrMoto liked this
 #27690  by Furmanoid
 Fri May 08, 2020 6:21 pm
Yes that’s a good point about yelling. But I think mandatory masks would entirely mitigate that. I’ve seen some college logo masks already. I wonder if FU has ordered any yet. They would be cool though somewhat macabre collectors items 50 years from now.
 #27692  by Affirm
 Sat May 09, 2020 8:35 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:21 pm
Yes that’s a good point about yelling. But I think mandatory masks would entirely mitigate that. I’ve seen some college logo masks already. I wonder if FU has ordered any yet. They would be cool though somewhat macabre collectors items 50 years from now.
Yes to masks, and to logo masks.
Yet, I have concerns as follows.
Many of our games are played at HOT times and dates, so probably if required at the gate, masks are going to be moved or removed by most attendees.
Even now, 17 weeks before our first scheduled game, when I venture out to grocery store or to Home Depot, I am amazed that there are large numbers of people wearing masks but also large numbers NOT wearing masks. 1/3 of a year from now, the proportion NOT wearing them, even if the situation is same as now, will probably be higher. Of course, we can HOPE that the situation is much better - but HOPE is not a PLAN.
 #27693  by Fred Garvin
 Sat May 09, 2020 9:06 am
We will have football at all levels. Just an FYI, at least one of the Power 5 conferences has a plan in place to just play everyone in their conference. No OOC games that require major travel and no FCS games. This is a plan B if needed. They could go 50% attendance and still market some good games.

Not that I give a squirt of urine but enclosed sports like basketball are going to be the bigger risk.
tim liked this
 #27694  by paladinfan12
 Sat May 09, 2020 10:23 am
You have to think that if larger conferences cancel long travel it would bode well for Furman. We can bus to nearly all of our games, and schools like Georgia, South Carolina, and Georgia Tech would be hungry to replace an away game to Syracuse or A&M with a home game from anyone within 2-3 hours.
 #27696  by cavedweller2
 Sat May 09, 2020 10:41 am
If I am required to wear a mask to an outdoor football game I won’t go.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #27700  by apaladin
 Sat May 09, 2020 10:53 am
Everyone seems to be expecting that many at the games will be infected. If you’re sick or have a fever or any symptoms stay home. Chances of getting infected in an open air stadium are very minimal. I think I am with Cavedweller, if it is so bad a mask is required I will stay home.
 #27701  by FUBeAR
 Sat May 09, 2020 11:48 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
I might be willing to wear a mask like this one...

Davemeister, 76MrMoto, apaladin and 1 others liked this
 #27703  by Affirm
 Sat May 09, 2020 4:27 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Suppose they are NOT required: Will you go (or stay) if NO ONE ELSE is wearing a 😷 mask?
Last edited by Affirm on Sat May 09, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #27704  by Affirm
 Sat May 09, 2020 4:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:53 am
Everyone seems to be expecting that many at the games will be infected. If you’re sick or have a fever or any symptoms stay home. Chances of getting infected in an open air stadium are very minimal. I think I am with Cavedweller, if it is so bad a mask is required I will stay home.
Same question to YOU: what will YOU do if NO ONE ELSE is wearing a non-required mask ... leave? ...stay?
 #27705  by FU3
 Sat May 09, 2020 5:28 pm
If someone who sneezes or coughs at a game and they are not wearing a mask the droplets are going to spread a whole lot farther than 6 feet. This virus doesn’t give a rats ass what your opinion is whether you or someone you know will be infected by it. Because it is novel there is much that is unknown but it is factual that it is highly contagious. While the young have generally been spared there have been several deaths of young children the past week and dozens more hospitalized after testing for the disease and developing a rare infection. I believe Furman will require masks if there is a season because it is the rationale thing to do and a small ask for reducing the risk of sickening others.
FUKA61, 76MrMoto, Roundball and 1 others liked this
 #27706  by Roundball
 Sat May 09, 2020 8:33 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
If masks are not required, I won’t go.
 #27719  by apaladin
 Sun May 10, 2020 11:02 am
FU3 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:28 pm
If someone who sneezes or coughs at a game and they are not wearing a mask the droplets are going to spread a whole lot farther than 6 feet. This virus doesn’t give a rats ass what your opinion is whether you or someone you know will be infected by it. Because it is novel there is much that is unknown but it is factual that it is highly contagious. While the young have generally been spared there have been several deaths of young children the past week and dozens more hospitalized after testing for the disease and developing a rare infection. I believe Furman will require masks if there is a season because it is the rationale thing to do and a small ask for reducing the risk of sickening others.
You’re assuming that anyone that sneezes or coughs is infected. To answer the question if masks are not required I would go. I respect the rights of others to go or stay home as they choose.