• The 2020 Season

#27663  by Roundball
 Thu May 07, 2020 9:08 am
Coach Hendrix will be on WCCP 105.5 this morning. I think I heard the live interview was going to be at the 10:00 hour.
 #27664  by Affirm
 Thu May 07, 2020 9:29 am
IF there has to be a season of only 6 games, here are the ones that I would wish for Furman’s schedule to include.
HOME:
Wofford
WCU
Presbyterian
AWAY:
Tennessee
Citadel
ETSU
What combination of 6 games, or other number, would others like to see happen? My first alternative to the above (but my second choice) would be to play only the SoCon teams as scheduled, so
HOME:
Wofford
WCU
Samford
Chattanooga
AWAY:
VMI
Mercer
Citadel
ETSU
That’s an 8-game schedule, and the 2 I’d remove if necessary to pare down to only 6 but only SoCon would be Samford and VMI.
All the above would be in a fall-only schedule, and I do realize split season part in fall and remainder after New Years is being mentioned.
****What would other posters here possibly like to suggest if we have to have a shortened season?****
(Wondering: If we do not play at UT, would it be due to their cancellation, and would we get the full payout?)
 #27667  by apaladin
 Thu May 07, 2020 11:31 am
To me a 6 or 8 game season is not an option and really don’t even want to think about it. At least 8 SEC schools have said that classes will begin in the fall(August) on campus and they will be ready for football. That is encouraging.
 #27669  by apaladin
 Thu May 07, 2020 1:13 pm
Roundball wrote:
Coach Hendrix will be on WCCP 105.5 this morning. I think I heard the live interview was going to be at the 10:00 hour.
I missed the interview. Can anyone post a review? I did hear the guys on wccp say CCH said he disagreed with other coaches, including Muschamp that said they need 6-8 weeks to get their teams ready. He did he only needed 4 weeks to get his team ready to play.
dornb liked this
 #27670  by apaladin
 Thu May 07, 2020 1:14 pm
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
I missed the interview. Can anyone post a review? I did hear the guys on wccp say CCH said he disagreed with other coaches, including Muschamp that said they need 6-8 weeks to get their teams ready. He said he only needed 4 weeks to get his team ready to play.
 #27672  by FUBeAR
 Thu May 07, 2020 2:32 pm
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
I missed the interview. Can anyone post a review? I did hear the guys on wccp say CCH said he disagreed with other coaches, including Muschamp that said they need 6-8 weeks to get their teams ready. He did he only needed 4 weeks to get his team ready to play.
He could do it in 3 weeks if the NCAA modifies their restrictions on 2-a-days, days offs, back-to-back days in full pads, etc. They might make a few allowances, but I doubt they’ll go too far afield from what they have in place - 4 weeks in plenty of time. 3 weeks of beating on each other (only) seemed like 3 months. Kids want to PLAY GAMES. If both Teams have an equal amount of time to prepare, ain’t no kid wanna go 6 to 8 weeks with no games. That’s cruel & unusual punishment TBH.
Rokawaylifer liked this
 #27677  by Affirm
 Thu May 07, 2020 5:05 pm
apaladin wrote:
To me a 6 or 8 game season is not an option and really don’t even want to think about it. At least 8 SEC schools have said that classes will begin in the fall(August) on campus and they will be ready for football. That is encouraging.
We may have to do a reduced schedule, based upon reality. It's time to think about it, if you want to spend any of your time and any of your brain thinking about 2020 college football. If USC and Clemson have to limit their attendance to 15,000-20,000, then Furman (if we have any kind of season, full schedule or part-schedule), would probably have to limit our attendance to 4,000-5,000. Actually, we'd probably be fortunate to have 4,000 come. Might be difficult to get 5,000 attendees. Social distancing requirements would necessitate, if we have 4,000-5,000, spreading people all over the entire visitor stands as well as all over the entire home stands. I imagine seating of individuals, or couples, or small groups of perhaps a family group of 6 or less, each such “unit” being separated from the next “unit” by 6+ feet in all directions. Also, I can imagine no one being allowed to sit any closer than 3 seats from either side of any aisle.
 #27679  by apaladin
 Fri May 08, 2020 2:25 am
All these scenarios are based on the current situations so I really don’t pay much attention to them. Today the governor of Oregon said they prolly won’t allow large gatherings thru September. Really? Is she some sort of a soothsayer? I guess I am in the minority but I believe things will improve in the next 4 months. There are many positive results on vaccines and treatments already. If there is no improvement by football I will be very disappointed in the worlds best minds.
dornb liked this
 #27680  by Roundball
 Fri May 08, 2020 6:24 am
affirm wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:05 pm
apaladin wrote:
We may have to do a reduced schedule, based upon reality. It's time to think about it, if you want to spend any of your time and any of your brain thinking about 2020 college football. If USC and Clemson have to limit their attendance to 15,000-20,000, then Furman (if we have any kind of season, full schedule or part-schedule), would probably have to limit our attendance to 4,000-5,000. Actually, we'd probably be fortunate to have 4,000 come. Might be difficult to get 5,000 attendees. Social distancing requirements would necessitate, if we have 4,000-5,000, spreading people all over the entire visitor stands as well as all over the entire home stands. I imagine seating of individuals, or couples, or small groups of perhaps a family group of 6 or less, each such “unit” being separated from the next “unit” by 6+ feet in all directions. Also, I can imagine no one being allowed to sit any closer than 3 seats from either side of any aisle.
We can’t get 5,000 fans to a game, with or without the virus.
 #27681  by Roundball
 Fri May 08, 2020 6:28 am
apaladin wrote:
All these scenarios are based on the current situations so I really don’t pay much attention to them. Today the governor of Oregon said they prolly won’t allow large gatherings thru September. Really? Is she some sort of a soothsayer? I guess I am in the minority but I believe things will improve in the next 4 months. There are many positive results on vaccines and treatments already. If there is no improvement by football I will be very disappointed in the worlds best minds.
You better start paying attention to these possible scenarios. Decisions have to be made based on current situations. Those in charge cannot wait until September to make these difficult decisions. It’s going to be different this season. We might as well get ready for the drastic changes that are coming to college football this year. Then, the discussion turns to basketball. I anticipate losing my front row on the court seats this year. I’m inches from the players and referees.
 #27682  by Affirm
 Fri May 08, 2020 8:12 am
apaladin wrote:
So you are the soothsayer?!
Everyone should pay attention to your predictions and ignore all the scientists except the ones, if there are any, who are as optimistic as you wish all of them to be?!
Yes, things may improve and get much better by May 25 as VP Pence says they will, or by July 4, or by August 29.
We all hope they do. But they may get better and then worse again several times before any of those dates.
... I typically am more pessimistic than many others who post in regard to Furman football and basketball game predictions. So maybe I am just too pessimistic in general. But I will say also that what happens with Coronavirus sickness and deaths is far more important to be cautious about than college sports.
Roundball, Jasper, 76MrMoto and 1 others liked this
 #27683  by Furmanoid
 Fri May 08, 2020 9:11 am
I kind of wonder if they will stick to the 6 ft thing. I know the standard rule for infectious disease control in icu or bone marrow transplant settings was always 3 ft in my experience (Augusta and Atlanta). Closer than 3ft you wear a mask. That’s for stuff just as contagious as rona though not as deadly for most of us. But for a bmt patient everything is deadly hence the need for a rule. Then the distance in public morphed to 6 ft during this crisis then 6 plus a mask. It seems like public health doctors overruling doctors who work in hospitals. But anyway there is clearly a dispersion difference between indoors and outdoors so maybe they’ll use a more realistic spacing especially if masks are being worn and the sick stay home. They could also have maybe one really spread out section for the old and compromised. I don’t see the point in spreading out the student section since they will immediately unspread after the game.
 #27686  by gofurman
 Fri May 08, 2020 11:28 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:13 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:10 pm
I now believe the college football season is going to happen, with some tweaks. Also, I believe other college sports are going to proceed beginning in August or September.
At least, I believe plans and preparations are definitely moving forward even if not yet shared with the general public.
If they have to push the season back a few weeks, I'd love to see one of the modifications go back to a 16 team playoff.

maybe this year... but we have been the direct beneficiary of having 24 teams in the playoff. Without a 24 team scenario CCH would have no playoff appearances if I recall correctly. And the extra week or 2 of play and practice helps the younger players for the next year!

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.