• The 2020 Season

#27635  by apaladin
 Tue May 05, 2020 1:58 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:09 pm
FU3 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:06 am
Almost every country in the world is in some form of lock down all because of fear
mongering by US media? There is no doubt that there will be people who will attempt to game data for financial incentives. It certainly won’t be unique to those who are putting a “negative”spin on it. In any event the results both medically and financially are going to be catastrophic with no short term easy way out... that is a fact. I pray we have the fortitude like previous generations of Americans who worked together to over come awful times. I miss Furman sports immensely,and as someone who still coaches at the HS level feel horrible for my team and every kid who has had to miss what many of us found to be some of the best times of our lives. I don’t know when sports can or should return but we should rely on some fact based science and not wishful thinking to decide.
I agree. Besides, the media did not lock down the economy. The virus, then science and then the government did that. All the media did was to report the facts as they were happening.
Ok, uh-huh. 😳
 #27636  by Roundball
 Tue May 05, 2020 2:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:58 pm
Roundball wrote:
FU3 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:06 am
Almost every country in the world is in some form of lock down all because of fear
mongering by US media? There is no doubt that there will be people who will attempt to game data for financial incentives. It certainly won’t be unique to those who are putting a “negative”spin on it. In any event the results both medically and financially are going to be catastrophic with no short term easy way out... that is a fact. I pray we have the fortitude like previous generations of Americans who worked together to over come awful times. I miss Furman sports immensely,and as someone who still coaches at the HS level feel horrible for my team and every kid who has had to miss what many of us found to be some of the best times of our lives. I don’t know when sports can or should return but we should rely on some fact based science and not wishful thinking to decide.
I agree. Besides, the media did not lock down the economy. The virus, then science and then the government did that. All the media did was to report the facts as they were happening.
Ok, uh-huh. 😳
Prove me wrong.
 #27637  by apaladin
 Tue May 05, 2020 3:16 pm
Just one thing they do is seek out the worst possible, most heart wrenching cases and highlight them. Do they ever interview anyone who had very mild symptoms and got over it quickly? Anyone that you might possibly ever heard of that gets it it is headline news. It was reported that singer Jackson Browne had it and he had very few symptoms and got over it quickly but that was never reported in the news. There are many other examples.
 #27638  by Roundball
 Tue May 05, 2020 3:48 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:16 pm
Just one thing they do is seek out the worst possible, most heart wrenching cases and highlight them. Do they ever interview anyone who had very mild symptoms and got over it quickly? Anyone that you might possibly ever heard of that gets it it is headline news. It was reported that singer Jackson Browne had it and he had very few symptoms and got over it quickly but that was never reported in the news. There are many other examples.
Just as I thought. You cannot prove me wrong when saying the media did not shut down the economy, nor will it shutdown football.
 #27639  by FUBeAR
 Tue May 05, 2020 7:12 pm
Roundball wrote:
All the media did was to report the facts as they were happening.
The media did not shut down the global economy...but...this is a HOOT!

I would give the 2 or 3 teeth I have remaining to find a media source that ‘all they do is report the facts.’

To try to glean those elusive facts from the various agendas (agendae?), I watch a little CNN, a little FOX, a little MSNBC, and even a little bit of OAN (I think those are the letters - production value < local cable access), try to strip away the BS & see if I can form an objective opinion of what the heck the actual ‘facts’ are/were. All 4 of those are as biased as the average TweetRager; they just cover it up better.

Someone said Reuter’s is less biased. I believe they’s ferrin though. I’d prefer to see / hear / listen to some ‘Mericans tell me the facts.
apaladin, FurmanMom60, Davemeister and 1 others liked this
 #27647  by Affirm
 Wed May 06, 2020 1:10 pm
I now believe the college football season is going to happen, with some tweaks. Also, I believe other college sports are going to proceed beginning in August or September.
At least, I believe plans and preparations are definitely moving forward even if not yet shared with the general public.
 #27649  by The Jackal
 Wed May 06, 2020 1:13 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:10 pm
I now believe the college football season is going to happen, with some tweaks. Also, I believe other college sports are going to proceed beginning in August or September.
At least, I believe plans and preparations are definitely moving forward even if not yet shared with the general public.
If they have to push the season back a few weeks, I'd love to see one of the modifications go back to a 16 team playoff.
Roundball, fufanatic, dornb liked this
 #27651  by MidlandsPaladin
 Wed May 06, 2020 3:58 pm
USC announced that they will resume in-class learning in the Fall. Students may return to campus in phases, but they will be returning to campus. If others follow suit this is a positive first step towards a 2020 season.
apaladin liked this
 #27653  by Flagman
 Wed May 06, 2020 6:50 pm
I imagine most colleges will follow the lead of these major institutions.
 #27654  by Paul C
 Wed May 06, 2020 8:38 pm
Looks like the German Bundesliga is resuming play on May 22 and Spain’s La Liga will is aiming for June 12 restart.

Just a datapoint about sports resuming.
 #27656  by apaladin
 Wed May 06, 2020 11:02 pm
MLB will announce a plan to return this week. Likely a short spring training and play beginning late June or first of July. 100 game season. :D :) :D