• The 2020 Season

#27610  by Furmanoid
 Sun May 03, 2020 10:05 am
This article isn’t reassuring. Going by the last few sentences it doesn’t sound like they are even thinking about having fans present. It sounds like they may ignore the fact that the vast majority of teams don’t play in packed 90,000 seat stadiums. Their focus seems to be on testing players-some of the least vulnerable people on the planet. I just wonder if it really makes sense to stress so much about protecting the players for 3 hours on Saturday afternoons when they are at college all week. Do we really think that everybody is going to social distance at college? I’m afraid it will spread enough through normal college stuff that large numbers of players will test positive right off the bat and shut the season down before it starts. I think the real choice is have the rona and play or have it and don’t play. But I think college kids are mostly gonna get it. Unless the transmissibility is less than we’ve been told.
 #27611  by apaladin
 Sun May 03, 2020 11:29 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:05 am
This article isn’t reassuring. Going by the last few sentences it doesn’t sound like they are even thinking about having fans present. It sounds like they may ignore the fact that the vast majority of teams don’t play in packed 90,000 seat stadiums. Their focus seems to be on testing players-some of the least vulnerable people on the planet. I just wonder if it really makes sense to stress so much about protecting the players for 3 hours on Saturday afternoons when they are at college all week. Do we really think that everybody is going to social distance at college? I’m afraid it will spread enough through normal college stuff that large numbers of players will test positive right off the bat and shut the season down before it starts. I think the real choice is have the rona and play or have it and don’t play. But I think college kids are mostly gonna get it. Unless the transmissibility is less than we’ve been told.
Don’t get too excited about one opinion.
 #27612  by apaladin
 Sun May 03, 2020 11:33 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:09 am
The NCAA already canceled their basketball tournament, which I can only imagine was a massive financial hit. So, I’d guess they’d be willing to do the same with football.
This is a good reason they cannot afford to cancel football. Yes the NCAA basketball tourney is a huge money maker but schools really rely on football to support other sports(especially large schools). The season may be altered by some form or fashion but no way it gets cancelled. If it does the country will be in turmoil. If you think people or upset and protesting now, you ain’t seen nothing yet.
 #27614  by Roundball
 Sun May 03, 2020 2:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:33 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:09 am
The NCAA already canceled their basketball tournament, which I can only imagine was a massive financial hit. So, I’d guess they’d be willing to do the same with football.
This is a good reason they cannot afford to cancel football. Yes the NCAA basketball tourney is a huge money maker but schools really rely on football to support other sports(especially large schools). The season may be altered by some form or fashion but no way it gets cancelled. If it does the country will be in turmoil. If you think people or upset and protesting now, you ain’t seen nothing yet.
If people protest and cause violence over no football, then this country is in big trouble. Now, if college basketball is canceled, I am protesting! Priorities people.
 #27622  by apaladin
 Mon May 04, 2020 3:12 pm
Has everyone filled out their parking pass request? First time season ticket holders have had to do this. It was due a May 1st but I just submitted mine today.
 #27623  by Flagman
 Mon May 04, 2020 10:39 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:12 pm
Has everyone filled out their parking pass request? First time season ticket holders have had to do this. It was due a May 1st but I just submitted mine today.
Completed and acknowledged.
 #27624  by FUBeAR
 Tue May 05, 2020 1:14 am
NCAA floated this out on Friday. Seems to be laying the groundwork for how College Football will be played this Fall or not.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... ports-look
http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-inst ... iate-sport

Numero Uno is the “Gating Criteria” - Number of New REPORTED COVID19 Cases Daily in the state - must be on “downward trajectory for 14 days” ...and a few other metrics...

Anyway - read it & discuss - my initial thought - not looking good my brothers - College Football season (or not) lies (initially) in the hands of those collecting / reporting state-level data, who MAY (read DO, IMO) have financial incentives and/or an agenda for this data to reflect and continue to reflect negative results. That can be debated, of course, but if you can’t see/understand what their incentive/agenda is, you aren’t trying hard enough and/or are refusing to be objective. And, if you don’t think data can be manipulated to tell whatever story you would like it to tell, then you have not been paying attention to FUBeAR’s & Jackal’s internet-wide debates over the past 8 years. :twisted:

Praying for Health & Safety for ALL; praying for the souls & families/friends of those lost to this #RottenRona, praying for the Healthcare workers & those on the ‘front line’ dealing with this ish; praying for an eventual return to (old) normal; praying for honor/integrity among those collecting/reporting data, and praying we have College Football this Fall!
Roundball, Davemeister liked this
 #27625  by Roundball
 Tue May 05, 2020 6:09 am
The key to a fall football season is whether or not the schools begin on campus classes on time. No fall semester means no fall college football. It’s that simple. Article in today’s P&C says Furman will have details for possible on campus fall classes in place my mid to late June. As I’ve said before, July 1 is the deadline for the beginning of fall football.
https://www.postandcourier.com/health/c ... 1e9c3.html
 #27628  by The Jackal
 Tue May 05, 2020 8:56 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:14 am
NCAA floated this out on Friday. Seems to be laying the groundwork for how College Football will be played this Fall or not.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... ports-look
http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-inst ... iate-sport

Numero Uno is the “Gating Criteria” - Number of New REPORTED COVID19 Cases Daily in the state - must be on “downward trajectory for 14 days” ...and a few other metrics...

Anyway - read it & discuss - my initial thought - not looking good my brothers - College Football season (or not) lies (initially) in the hands of those collecting / reporting state-level data, who MAY (read DO, IMO) have financial incentives and/or an agenda for this data to reflect and continue to reflect negative results. That can be debated, of course, but if you can’t see/understand what their incentive/agenda is, you aren’t trying hard enough and/or are refusing to be objective. And, if you don’t think data can be manipulated to tell whatever story you would like it to tell, then you have not been paying attention to FUBeAR’s & Jackal’s internet-wide debates over the past 8 years. :twisted:

Praying for Health & Safety for ALL; praying for the souls & families/friends of those lost to this #RottenRona, praying for the Healthcare workers & those on the ‘front line’ dealing with this ish; praying for an eventual return to (old) normal; praying for honor/integrity among those collecting/reporting data, and praying we have College Football this Fall!
Technically, that was the same criteria for Georgia to being "reopening," but that didn't stop anyone.
 #27630  by apaladin
 Tue May 05, 2020 10:09 am
FUBEAR, You are so correct about the reporting and financial incentives. The financial incentives are mind boggling. The media has really got the whole country scared out of their mind.
 #27631  by tim
 Tue May 05, 2020 10:30 am
My guess is that those Tigers and Gamecocks will take the field come hell or high water or somebody will pay. Not sure if that trickles down to any FCS teams. I'd hate to be the SC politician that stood in the way of those two.
 #27632  by FU3
 Tue May 05, 2020 11:06 am
Almost every country in the world is in some form of lock down all because of fear
mongering by US media? There is no doubt that there will be people who will attempt to game data for financial incentives. It certainly won’t be unique to those who are putting a “negative”spin on it. In any event the results both medically and financially are going to be catastrophic with no short term easy way out... that is a fact. I pray we have the fortitude like previous generations of Americans who worked together to over come awful times. I miss Furman sports immensely,and as someone who still coaches at the HS level feel horrible for my team and every kid who has had to miss what many of us found to be some of the best times of our lives. I don’t know when sports can or should return but we should rely on some fact based science and not wishful thinking to decide.
hypercycloid liked this
 #27633  by The Jackal
 Tue May 05, 2020 1:09 pm
FU3 wrote:
Almost every country in the world is in some form of lock down all because of fear
mongering by US media? There is no doubt that there will be people who will attempt to game data for financial incentives. It certainly won’t be unique to those who are putting a “negative”spin on it. In any event the results both medically and financially are going to be catastrophic with no short term easy way out... that is a fact. I pray we have the fortitude like previous generations of Americans who worked together to over come awful times. I miss Furman sports immensely,and as someone who still coaches at the HS level feel horrible for my team and every kid who has had to miss what many of us found to be some of the best times of our lives. I don’t know when sports can or should return but we should rely on some fact based science and not wishful thinking to decide.

I promptly ignore anyone that chalks this up to some media-imposed scare campaign. That's nonsense.

If the NBA shut down their season, the MLB shut down theirs, and the NCAA already scuttled the men's basketball tournament, you can bet your biscuit they are willing shut down college football too. The NBA and MLB are financial monsters far bigger (like, ten times larger) than SEC football.

Besides, I doubt this is just about the NCAA. The student athletes are students, and the coaches are employees of the University, so I would assume that the decision to play is also left up to the individual bodies that govern those institutions (who very likely may not be as interested in restarting football in a pandemic as the general fanbase).
Last edited by The Jackal on Tue May 05, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNORM liked this
 #27634  by Roundball
 Tue May 05, 2020 1:09 pm
FU3 wrote:
I agree. Besides, the media did not lock down the economy. The virus, then science and then the government did that. All the media did was to report the facts as they were happening.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.