• The 2020 Season

#27577  by fufanatic
 Fri May 01, 2020 2:16 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:56 am
Heard on the news there could be a vaccine as soon as September. Also some encouraging news with some drugs for treatment. We need to return to a somewhat normal situation and fight the virus too before it’s too late. We can do both IMHO.
That would be wonderful news. Would certainly save a lot of lives and keep us all from going crazy in isolation if they can get a vaccine out there this year and not have to wait until sometime in 2021.
 #27582  by Flagman
 Fri May 01, 2020 3:58 pm
People talk like a vaccine is the miracle preventative. Both my wife and I had the flu vaccine last fall, yet my wife got the flu. A $100 round of Tamiflu eased the symptoms, but it still had to run its course. Will probably be the same scenario for covid19.
 #27589  by apaladin
 Fri May 01, 2020 9:09 pm
Flagman wrote:
People talk like a vaccine is the miracle preventative. Both my wife and I had the flu vaccine last fall, yet my wife got the flu. A $100 round of Tamiflu eased the symptoms, but it still had to run its course. Will probably be the same scenario for covid19.
True, but look how many the flu vaccine prevented from getting it. A vaccine might keep people from freaking out and being scared to death.
 #27591  by tim
 Sat May 02, 2020 6:17 am
Prolly up to the NCAA. After cancelling the basketball tourney, would they want to commit suicide? Not sure that would be a bad thing.
 #27592  by The Jackal
 Sat May 02, 2020 8:25 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:09 pm
Flagman wrote:
True, but look how many the flu vaccine prevented from getting it. A vaccine might keep people from freaking out and being scared to death.
There are also plenty of maladies for which a vaccine has never been able to be found. So, there is no guarantee of anything.
dornb liked this
 #27593  by Affirm
 Sat May 02, 2020 8:45 am
Flagman wrote:
Whether it’s available 4 months from now or 16 months from now, or whenever, a Covid-19 vaccine should presumably be effective 40-60 % of the time, hopefully more but who knows.
Only about 50 % or less of population get the annual flu shot, and same probably will be true with the Covid-19 shot.
So the vaccine we are waiting for will prevent 20% to 30% of future infections.
We have to hope the “herd immunity“ creates the biggest possible herd and lasts a long time (1yr? 2, 4, 6, 8 yrs?) in individuals.
Covid-19 has spread so very rapidly in our current situation, and has made so many people so very sick; but hopefully we will learn that speed and that ability to make people so very sick is because no immunity has previously existed in the population.
[I think I remember you mentioning in a post at some time several months ago that your wife had the (“regular”) flu.”]
 #27595  by Affirm
 Sat May 02, 2020 9:00 am
Article I read last night opined that a decision about the next FB season will have to be made by late May at the latest, which is 29 days from now, or less time than that.
 #27596  by apaladin
 Sat May 02, 2020 10:35 am
Good news: Texas A&M announced yesterday that they would open all of their 11 campus’s in the fall and be ready for football. University of Iowa president said their football facilities open June 1. Someone said the virus had spread so rapidly but has it? A couple of examples: South Carolina has 5.149 million people and 6,259 cases as of May 1 which is .0012 percent. Greenville County has 523,000 and 730 cases or .0014 percent. As of May 1 there were only 300 people hospitalized in S.C. To put that into perspective, if all 300 people were in Greenville Memorial there would still be over 400 beds available. Remember also that many have very little to no symptoms so only a small percentage are seriously ill. The numbers the media keeps reporting seem alarming and they are but when you put it in perspective the numbers are very small if not tiny.
cavedweller2, dornb liked this
 #27598  by FU3
 Sat May 02, 2020 11:52 am
The numbers are so”tiny” because SC is ranked 40th in the country in tests per 10,000 people. Hospitalizations are relatively low because the vast majority of us have been avoiding each other ... well ,like the plague. Staying completely locked down is unsustainable but we are going to have to live in a much different world for a while.
Affirm, AstroDin liked this
 #27599  by Affirm
 Sat May 02, 2020 1:18 pm
apaladin wrote:
Good news: Texas A&M announced yesterday that they would open all of their 11 campus’s in the fall and be ready for football. University of Iowa president said their football facilities open June 1. Someone said the virus had spread so rapidly but has it? A couple of examples: South Carolina has 5.149 million people and 6,259 cases as of May 1 which is .0012 percent. Greenville County has 523,000 and 730 cases or .0014 percent. As of May 1 there were only 300 people hospitalized in S.C. To put that into perspective, if all 300 people were in Greenville Memorial there would still be over 400 beds available. Remember also that many have very little to no symptoms so only a small percentage are seriously ill. The numbers the media keeps reporting seem alarming and they are but when you put it in perspective the numbers are very small if not tiny.
Yes. It has spread very rapidly.
LiveScience.com, 4/30/2020: “...spreads more easily and has a higher death rate ....” than flu.
 #27600  by Furmanoid
 Sat May 02, 2020 3:59 pm
I’m afraid the NCAA will make a blanket cancellation for the entire country even though the situation is radically different in different parts of the country. And the worst Covid impacted region is the least involved in college football. It is also becoming evident that some sections of the country have a more traditional level of risk acceptance than others.
 #27601  by Roundball
 Sat May 02, 2020 4:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
No one knows the real number of cases because of the lack of testing. SCDHEC reports the possible number of cases at 5,350. I’m thankful that social distancing has worked, which hopefully will lead to some football this fall. I’m just glad I’m not responsible for deciding how to allot tickets at the big schools if social distancing is still in effect. Whether or not to play is only the beginning of huge decisions that have to be made.

https://scdhec.gov/infectious-diseases/ ... e-covid-19
Last edited by Roundball on Sat May 02, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #27602  by Affirm
 Sat May 02, 2020 6:24 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
No one knows the real number of cases because of the lack of testing. SCDHEC reports the possible number of cases at 5,350. I’m thankful that social distancing has worked, which hopefully will lead to some football this fall. I’m just glad I’m not responsible for deciding how to allot tickets at the big schools if social distancing is still in effect. Deciding whether or not to play is only the beginning of huge decisions that have to be made.

https://scdhec.gov/infectious-diseases/ ... e-covid-19
Decisions may have to include how to keep tailgaters beyond a 2-mile radius of the stadium if they do not have tickets for entry to the stadium. People make it a huge, non-socially-distanced PARTY whether they ever go in or not.
Decisions may have to include also how to limit attendees to only each of the 2 schools bona fide current students and school faculty/staff/trustees/other official boards, plus people “working (paid or unpaid) in a bona fide” capacity (whether concessions people, ushers and ticket people, security and safety, coaches and related team staff, officials, and media).
 #27603  by FUBeAR
 Sat May 02, 2020 9:09 pm
Can the rona be transmitted via sweat? Players will get sweat (and possibly other bodily fluids) of the opposing Team and their Teammates on them & in their mouths & noses during practice, games, etc.

If we (our gubmint & many non-gubmint peeps) are in the same mindset in July/Aug that they are in now, there is no way the NCAA is going to sanction a contact sport. Cuz you know, the NCAA’s #1 priority is the welfare of collegiate student athletes. Well, unless lining their coffers with cash is involved.

Going to be very interesting how this goes down; so many competing interests & ideologies & all fighting for the (perceived) ethical high ground.

Hope we play!

I’d a-played / wanted to play even if it meant swimming in a vat of Covid, back in the day, but can’t claim that using common sense was even an afterthought in those same days. Nope - not at all!!
 #27607  by The Jackal
 Sun May 03, 2020 7:09 am
The NCAA already canceled their basketball tournament, which I can only imagine was a massive financial hit. So, I’d guess they’d be willing to do the same with football.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.