• Danny Manning Out At Wake

#27465  by FurmAlum
 Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:24 am
tya1 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:15 pm
Odd timing to fire Manning now. He has a guaranteed contract until 2025 and the buyout will be 15 million dollars. The size of that buyout will probably limit their choices. They probably won't try to lure a big name coach from another P5 conference. Mid-major coaches are the likely targets.

ESPN's writer thinks Steve Forbes and Wes Miller are the top two choices. He names four other regional coaches as other possibilities. Richey is one of them. Also named are Pat Kelsey of Winthrop (was an assistant at Wake for eight seasons); Ryan Odum of UMBC (son of former WF coach Dave Odum); and Earl Grant of College of Charleston (former assistant at Clemson.)

LINK

Miller would be an obvious choice. His father is a graduate of Wake Forest and the Miller family are big donors to Wake Forest. The practice court at WF has been named after Wes Miller's father.
Wake needs to be called out for spending $15 Mill to buy out a coach at a time when there is an awful lot of suffering going on in the country. If I was a Wake grad, I would be ashamed.
 #27466  by Davemeister
 Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:41 am
Wake can say they made this move in anticipation of not playing BB in 2020-21 and apply for Federal relief funding.
FurmAlum liked this
 #27467  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:25 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:24 am
tya1 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:15 pm
Odd timing to fire Manning now. He has a guaranteed contract until 2025 and the buyout will be 15 million dollars. The size of that buyout will probably limit their choices. They probably won't try to lure a big name coach from another P5 conference. Mid-major coaches are the likely targets.

ESPN's writer thinks Steve Forbes and Wes Miller are the top two choices. He names four other regional coaches as other possibilities. Richey is one of them. Also named are Pat Kelsey of Winthrop (was an assistant at Wake for eight seasons); Ryan Odum of UMBC (son of former WF coach Dave Odum); and Earl Grant of College of Charleston (former assistant at Clemson.)

LINK

Miller would be an obvious choice. His father is a graduate of Wake Forest and the Miller family are big donors to Wake Forest. The practice court at WF has been named after Wes Miller's father.
Wake needs to be called out for spending $15 Mill to buy out a coach at a time when there is an awful lot of suffering going on in the country. If I was a Wake grad, I would be ashamed.

I am sure it was a donor/donors who stepped up to buy him out
 #27468  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:26 pm
tim wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:56 am
If Wake gets any input from Mike Buddie, I've got a feeling we can kiss Bob Richey goodbye.
Bob Richey is 2-5 in postseason play, I find it hard for a P5 school to justify hiring him until he starts having postseason success
 #27472  by Affirm
 Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:56 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
tim wrote:
If Wake gets any input from Mike Buddie, I've got a feeling we can kiss Bob Richey goodbye.
Bob Richey is 2-5 in postseason play, I find it hard for a P5 school to justify hiring him until he starts having postseason success
I find it easy for Furman to want to do as much as reasonably possible to continue to hire him, and I do NOT find it hard to believe that there ARE P5 schools that could justify hiring him.
 #27476  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:29 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:56 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
tim wrote:
I find it easy for Furman to want to do as much as reasonably possible to continue to hire him, and I do NOT find it hard to believe that there ARE P5 schools that could justify hiring him.
You have to admit that when conducting a hire for an ACC salary in the millions in college hoops, postseason success will be high on the list of 'wants'
 #27480  by Roundball
 Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:25 am
This post from BucFan1990 on the ETSU fan forum sums it up for good mid major coaches, including Bob Richey.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-894408-page-5.html

90RE: Thread to talk about if/when we lose Forbes.(Use this one)
“I know that Forbes loves it here, and it's a great situation. However, I think the 1 major thing that would(will eventually) drive him away is the fact that the So-Con is a 1 bid league. It was be extremely stressful to know that year-after-year, your first 30 games mean nothing. Essentially, he could win 25 games a year, slip up in the tourney, and not go to the NCAA Tournament. If he goes to a power conference, he can win half his conference games, and still sneak in a bid.

I think this year's team was a very good team, and certainly NCAA Tourney worthy, but if they had lost the championship, I don't think they'd have made it. I thought last year would have been a good test for a So-Con at-large. I wanted to see UNCG lose the championship to see if they'd get an at-large, but they got the automatic bid with the championship.

I hope he stays, but I certainly understand the desire to go elsewhere.”
 #27484  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:12 pm
Looks like Beilein is out, probably wanted to much money

Top 4 for Wake are Steve Forbes, Thad Matta, Shaka Smart (if price is right) and Wes Miller
 #27494  by FurmAlum
 Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:47 pm
My brother is a Wake alum. He said the negotiated buyout for Manning was much less than the $15M. He has no idea who they might hire as coach but he likes Wes Miller.
 #27518  by CharlieFU
 Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:53 pm
A Wake friend of mine likes Russ Turner, ,now HC out west somewhere but was Wake asst for awhile.
 #27519  by CharlieFU
 Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:57 pm
I hope they hire Forbes, just so he leaves SoCon, though he does not seem like a good fit for Wake.

I admit I am biased against Forbes--served one year show cause suspension after being an asst to Bruce Pearl.
 #27520  by cavedweller2
 Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:05 pm
A friend of mine played middle and high school ball with Danny Manning and schooled him. Then Manning shot up to 6'10 or whatever he is and my friend stayed at 6'4 and the lessons reversed.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.