• Harris wins QB Job??

#2714  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:25 pm
I assume this is the case since he has been named one of 3 captains and is the only one on the offensive side of the ball. Then again don't the players vote on the captains? I guess a captain could be a non-starter but doesn't seem likely. On the other hand Coach Dabo said he would name a QB starter app. 7 days before the first game with Furman. I felt for sure Bryant would start against us but now there is a possibility that the greatest QB in the history of college football could get his first start against the Paladins. :o
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #2715  by Paul C
 Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:15 pm
I don’t think the captain selection and starting role are necessarily correlated. From what I can tell we’ll probably see both guys play, based on matchups and situations.
Jasper liked this
 #2716  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:39 pm
I think you're probably right, both have something to offer, but don't you think it would be best to settle on one guy by the time conference season rolls around?
 #2717  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:15 am
apaladin wrote:
I assume this is the case since he has been named one of 3 captains and is the only one on the offensive side of the ball. Then again don't the players vote on the captains? I guess a captain could be a non-starter but doesn't seem likely. On the other hand Coach Dabo said he would name a QB starter app. 7 days before the first game with Furman. I felt for sure Bryant would start against us but now there is a possibility that the greatest QB in the history of college football could get his first start against the Paladins. :o

I think you are assuming incorrectly. I do not think there is any requirement that one has to be a starter to be named a captain. In fact, the press release says that Roberts is competing for the starters job.
Jasper liked this
 #2720  by Bootie
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:24 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I think you are assuming incorrectly. I do not think there is any requirement that one has to be a starter to be named a captain. In fact, the press release says that Roberts is competing for the starters job.
Had dinner with some players last night and I brought up the same question. They pretty much echoed what has been said here from PaulC and Jackal. ap, you might consider changing the subject title if the board allows it. It's misleading and inaccurate at this stage.
 #2721  by FUBeAR
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:34 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:39 pm
don't you think it would be best to settle on one guy by the time conference season rolls around?
Just me, maybe, but I’m very comfortable leaving that decision to the QB Coach/OC with a Head Coaching career record of 250-16 (.939).

He’s seen a thing or two.

MNORM, sluggo, DeepPurple and 1 others liked this
 #2723  by JohnW
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:45 am
Most recent thing from the HC in his interview with Kornblut this week was there's two guys, both could play, play calling might be different depending on who is in, and they had two young guys they were excited about who would get a chance. Asked outright if he would have a two QB system, he didn't deny it but I got the impression he hopes someone wins the job outright. Personally I think if one doesn't distinguish himself the senior starts, but there will be a short hook.
apaladin liked this
 #2724  by Davemeister
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:08 am
If I am correct, in 2016 Reese Hannon (5th-year Sr.) was a Team Captain although he was not the starting QB when we opened the season vs. Michigan St. I don't think being a Captain and being a starter go hand in hand.
Jasper liked this
 #2725  by Jasper
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:25 am
From my observations at practice yesterday and conversation with my two player dinner guests, a starter has not been name at QB. Harris took "first" snaps as he has all week but Lincoln had as many reps. The two starters I spoke with were very ambivalent on the topic. There are comfortable with either one and felt they had somewhat different skill sets with Harris a slightly better passer and Lincoln the better runner. I agree with BeAR, I think CCH will make the right decision and would not be surprised at all if he used them both.

Dujuan Bell was the star of the practice at WR. Lots of people I was watching with took notice of his burner speed in beating the defender and some sensational catches. As a matter of fact our receiving corps looks great. Teams was in pads but not full contact. Couple of early but minor injuries so far; most hamstrings and turned ankles. Enthusiasm very high. One of my guests, a RB, confirmed that Deon Sanders looks to be back to his pre injury form. That could be very big for us.

Good thread with a bad title. I agree with Bootie.
AstroDin, Paladin82 liked this
 #2727  by AstroDin
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:28 am
Jasper wrote:
From my observations at practice yesterday and conversation with my two player dinner guests, a starter has not been name at QB. Harris took "first" snaps as he has all week but Lincoln had as many reps. The two starters I spoke with were very ambivalent on the topic. There are comfortable with either one and felt they had somewhat different skill sets with Harris a slightly better passer and Lincoln the better runner. I agree with BeAR, I think CCH will make the right decision and would not be surprised at all if he used them both.

Dujuan Bell was the star of the practice at WR. Lots of people I was watching with took notice of his burner speed in beating the defender and some sensational catches. As a matter of fact our receiving corps looks great. Teams was in pads but not full contact. Couple of early but minor injuries so far; most hamstrings and turned ankles. Enthusiasm very high. One of my guests, a RB, confirmed that Deon Sanders looks to be back to his pre injury form. That could be very big for us.

I thought from day one Bell is going to make some plays in 2018… Bell was an explosive high school player - both Bell and Corey Watkins were very good kick returners too.
 #2728  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:39 am
Bootie wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:24 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Changed it to a question, which is what it was supposed to be in the first place. :)

Had dinner with some players last night and I brought up the same question. They pretty much echoed what has been said here from PaulC and Jackal. ap, you might consider changing the subject title if the board allows it. It's misleading and inaccurate at this stage.
 #2729  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:41 am
AstroDin wrote:
Can this thread title be edited???
Yes I changed it to a question, which is what it was supposed to be.
Bootie liked this
 #2731  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:02 pm
Jasper wrote:

If Bell comes as advertised, he could help elevate our offense.

Bell isn't a big guy. He's listed at 5'9 160. You watch his high school film, though, and he's an incredibly dangerous runner in the open field. One of those guys that can cut back across the defense and has enough in the tank to beat defenders to the spot.

Watching his film, the immediate comps that come to mind are GSU's Jayson Foster and App's Davon Fowlkes. Those were undersized players who were incredibly slippery and had great field vision. Those are two of the greatest offensive players in this conference over the last 20 years, and if Bell is a fraction as good as either of them, Furman will have found a big time playmaker.

Big picture, Furman could create a lot of mismatches with a WR trio of Burnette, Gordon, and Bell. It will spread defenses out, create favorable matchups, and open things up for the fullbacks.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.