• SoCon Spring Preview

#27213  by Flagman
 Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:41 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:33 pm
Regarding Mangum and Wofford this article says Mangum HAD to transfer as Woff has no grad programs. It’s written by Shanesy who should know. Anyone?? I was told above Woff could keep football players 5 or 6 years. Maybe what I am missing is most players take 5 yrs to graduate w undergraduate? The quote I refer to is in the article right below the pic of Mangum as a Cavalier.

paraphrase ... Since Wofford has no graduate program, Mangum decided to transfer

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 869066001/

Anyone? Thanks for help
Coach Hendrix said today that these so-called "graduate" transfers are finishing graduate degrees at a rate of 17%. So much for getting that masters degree.
 #27214  by The Jackal
 Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:59 pm
Flagman wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Regarding Mangum and Wofford this article says Mangum HAD to transfer as Woff has no grad programs. It’s written by Shanesy who should know. Anyone?? I was told above Woff could keep football players 5 or 6 years. Maybe what I am missing is most players take 5 yrs to graduate w undergraduate? The quote I refer to is in the article right below the pic of Mangum as a Cavalier.

paraphrase ... Since Wofford has no graduate program, Mangum decided to transfer

Anyone? Thanks for help
Coach Hendrix said today that these so-called "graduate" transfers are finishing graduate degrees at a rate of 17%. So much for getting that masters degree.
It's tough. NDSU's start LB, Jabril Cox, just transferred to LSU.

So, instead of a player that would continue to bring accolades to FCS football, LSU gets another stud defender.
 #27223  by fufanatic
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:05 pm
It was always my understanding that college = no grad degrees, while university = grad degrees. Hence why Furman added a few to be able to be a university. But obviously didn't add enough to keep elite athletes/students on campus past their undergrad degrees.
 #27236  by gofurman
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:24 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:05 pm
It was always my understanding that college = no grad degrees, while university = grad degrees. Hence why Furman added a few to be able to be a university. But obviously didn't add enough to keep elite athletes/students on campus past their undergrad degrees.
Fanatic, That is the technical difference in a college and university as I understand it
 #27237  by gofurman
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:59 pm
Flagman wrote:
gofurman wrote:

Anyone? Thanks for help
It's tough. NDSU's start LB, Jabril Cox, just transferred to LSU.

So, instead of a player that would continue to bring accolades to FCS football, LSU gets another stud defender.
Interesting. I was going to mention NDSU w Carson Wentz etc and ask how none of their guys ever seem to leave for FBS. I guess it finally happened. May be the beginning of more change. We had it w our PK.

I’m torn. I too feel the loyalty of the FCS school that believed in the kid when the FBS school did not. As long as they get the masters degree then I think it’s fine. But if it is just a transfer to play at an FBS that didn’t believe in you originally and then a bad graduation rate ???
 #27238  by gofurman
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:55 am
GF- FU beat WC 34-14 in CCH’s second season(2018).
You are right ! My mistake. Glad to be wrong. That was a thing of beauty. I recall now they had LBs who didn’t know what the hell they were doing covering RBs etc
apaladin liked this
 #27240  by lawdog
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:26 pm
Jerasaty and Burger at Wofford are both good students who graduated, and chose to play at Illinois and Indiana on athletic scholarship while attending grad school in finance for their final year of eligibility. The same is true of Chevez Goodwin, who is a good student who is graduating and will play on basketball scholarship at Southern Cal in grad school in his film-related field. Wofford had a DB two years ago who graduated and completed his final year of eligibility on athletic scholarship at Ga Tech while in grad school. In the past there have been several who played their fifth year at Wofford on athletic scholarship, getting a second major. Wofford, and probably most schools, is supportive of students who fulfill their obligation there and take advantage of the opportunity to play and go to grad school at another school on athletic scholarship; that puts academics and the students first while giving them the chance to maximize their financial support for academic and athletic advancement.
 #27241  by gofurman
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:05 pm
lawdog wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:26 pm
Jerasaty and Burger at Wofford are both good students who graduated, and chose to play at Illinois and Indiana on athletic scholarship while attending grad school in finance for their final year of eligibility. The same is true of Chevez Goodwin, who is a good student who is graduating and will play on basketball scholarship at Southern Cal in grad school in his film-related field. Wofford had a DB two years ago who graduated and completed his final year of eligibility on athletic scholarship at Ga Tech while in grad school. In the past there have been several who played their fifth year at Wofford on athletic scholarship, getting a second major. Wofford, and probably most schools, is supportive of students who fulfill their obligation there and take advantage of the opportunity to play and go to grad school at another school on athletic scholarship; that puts academics and the students first while giving them the chance to maximize their financial support for academic and athletic advancement.
lawdog, good to have your input. Is the Terrierfans board down ??
 #27242  by lawdog
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:02 pm
Thanks GF. For some time there has been some sort of issue with some members getting on. Recently the problem has escalated; hopefully it can be fixed.
 #27286  by gofurman
 Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:14 pm
lawdog wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:02 pm
Thanks GF. For some time there has been some sort of issue with some members getting on. Recently the problem has escalated; hopefully it can be fixed.
Lawdog, that has to be tough. Hope you all get that corrected.. Without sports all I have is the occasional write-up or banter on here to keep me sane. Stay healthy ! (even if you are from the dark side :)
 #27803  by fufanatic
 Wed May 13, 2020 2:38 pm
Can't imagine VMI is taking that one especially well. I know at The Citadel grad students (at least new Citadel enrollees) don't have to play soldier. I wonder if it's the same way at VMI?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.