• SoCon Spring Preview

#27185  by The Jackal
 Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:28 pm
I understand that the grad transfer rules give some power back to the student athlete, but it is really tough on small schools. Smaller college spend a lot of time on limited resources recruiting and developing these kids, finally get to a finished product, and then larger institutions can sweep in and poach them.

This would be a tough loss for Wofford. Incredibly, the Terriers had incredible consistency along the offensive line last year - five guys started every game for them. Now, with graduation and this transfer, they'll have to replace their LT, LG, RG, and RT - essentially, they replace the entire unit.
 #27186  by apaladin
 Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:11 pm
The Jackal wrote:I understand that the grad transfer rules give some power back to the student athlete, but it is really tough on small schools. Smaller college spend a lot of time on limited resources recruiting and developing these kids, finally get to a finished product, and then larger institutions can sweep in and poach them.

This would be a tough loss for Wofford. Incredibly, the Terriers had incredible consistency along the offensive line last year - five guys started every game for them. Now, with graduation and this transfer, they'll have to replace their LT, LG, RG, and RT - essentially, they replace the entire unit.
That’s great. ;)
 #27187  by The Jackal
 Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:51 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:11 pm
The Jackal wrote:I understand that the grad transfer rules give some power back to the student athlete, but it is really tough on small schools. Smaller college spend a lot of time on limited resources recruiting and developing these kids, finally get to a finished product, and then larger institutions can sweep in and poach them.

That’s great. ;)
I don't follow Wofford recruiting, but I think 2020 is the first season they will really start leaning hard on the Conklin recruits. To this point, the usually strong Terrier offensive front has been anchored by veteran Ayers' recruits.
 #27192  by FurmAlum
 Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:46 pm
As much as I hate Woffart, I can't see this as good for FCS football, or any other sport at a small and/or mid major school. With all due respect to "giving power back to the student athlete", where was Illinois when Jeresaty was a senior in high school? The answer - they wouldn't give him the time of day! IMHO he should have some loyalty to Woffy.

As a former Furman player (not football), I am appreciative of the opportunity that FU gave me because I wasn't good enough to play at a bigger school (in fact I wasn't good enough to play at Furman either, but it worked out). If an ACC or SEC school had said I could come play there my senior year, I would have said FU, I'm staying at FU. It was more fun beating the ACC schools at Furman anyway, and we did, often!
apaladin liked this
 #27193  by Affirm
 Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:55 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
As much as I hate Woffart, I can't see this as good for FCS football, or any other sport at a small and/or mid major school. With all due respect to "giving power back to the student athlete", where was Illinois when Jeresaty was a senior in high school? The answer - they wouldn't give him the time of day! IMHO he should have some loyalty to Woffy.

As a former Furman player (not football), I am appreciative of the opportunity that FU gave me because I wasn't good enough to play at a bigger school (in fact I wasn't good enough to play at Furman either, but it worked out). If an ACC or SEC school had said I could come play there my senior year, I would have said FU, I'm staying at FU. It was more fun beating the ACC schools at Furman anyway, and we did, often!
If Jeresaty already has spent 4 yrs at Wofford (?), why would he come back for another year? I am guessing he will have graduated and will be pursuing a graduate degree at Illinois. I do not see the disloyalty.
 #27194  by The Jackal
 Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:48 am
FurmAlum wrote:

For good or ill, the rules have created a bit of "free agency" for college football players. On the one hand, it is hard to see a kid you've invested in leave for a program that has invested virtually nothing in them. On the other, it is difficult to tell a kid he can't pursue a grad degree at another university when the rules permit him to do so.
 #27195  by paladinfan12
 Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:53 am
If a kid graduates and the school they are playing at offers limited graduate degree options, I have a hard time pegging them for loyalty issues.
 #27196  by The Jackal
 Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:03 am
Paul C wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:47 pm
C too?

In my opinion, that is a crippling loss for Wofford. Jerasaty is the SoCon's best center and probably top overall lineman (won the Jacobs award last season).

I never like to count out Wofford, but if they can make the post season after replacing their entire offensive line, both QBs, TE, and primary running back, they'll need to build a statute of Conklin.

I've said this a number of times, but Conklin walked into a situation where the Terriers already had a really solid roster. I think in year 3 you will begin to see what his staff has been able to do in building depth behind that existing infrastructure.
 #27199  by FurmAlum
 Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:04 pm
I guess y'all are right about the no loyalty issues concerning Grad Transfers. But I bet it may change the way some coaches think about redshirting players.
 #27202  by paladinfan12
 Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:34 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
I guess y'all are right about the no loyalty issues concerning Grad Transfers. But I bet it may change the way some coaches think about redshirting players.
Agreed, especially for schools like Furman and Wofford.
 #27203  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:16 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:34 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Agreed, especially for schools like Furman and Wofford.
Prolly not that much. PT for incoming freshmen is hard to come by especially from schools whose programs are in good shape. The exeptional ones will play as freshmen anyway. You can only dress and play so many. Most coaches are not worried about 4 years down the road. That's for fans like us/ :D
 #27205  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:32 pm
Huge loss for Woff if both Jeresaty and Burger depart. Yesss ... (said like evil Mr Smithers in Simpson’s). HUGE LOSSES. And if Mangum DL transfers out too that’s really huge. Three super players transferring. Though Mikel Horton is back I think and is probably best Woff DL.

Though if it’s only year 3 of Conklin it’s still Ayers recruits as upperclassmen. I saw a post about it is now Conklins guys over there. I would say the Juniors and Seniors at Woff are still from Ayers though it may be that Conklin wants to pass more. Will be interesting to watch if indeed we have a season. I am 90% sure Woff is the only team CH hasn’t beaten’. (We beat Samford and ETSU this year! )

Everyone stay healthy
 #27206  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:33 pm
Regarding Mangum and Wofford this article says Mangum HAD to transfer as Woff has no grad programs. It’s written by Shanesy who should know. Anyone?? I was told above Woff could keep football players 5 or 6 years. Maybe what I am missing is most players take 5 yrs to graduate w undergraduate? The quote I refer to is in the article right below the pic of Mangum as a Cavalier.

paraphrase ... Since Wofford has no graduate program, Mangum decided to transfer

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 869066001/

Anyone? Thanks for help

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.