• Early 2021 SoCon 'predict the standings'

#26923  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:49 pm
1) Furman (locked and loaded)
2) UNCG (Miller and some nice other pieces)
3) UTC (they have potential to be solid)
4) ETSU (will Forbes stay until next season and find more transfers for ETSU?)
5) WCU (some talent forming in the Whee)
6) Mercer (also a team with some talent)
7) VMI (will be an improved VMI team)
8) Wofford (not much at all coming back for the rat dogs who lost 16 games last year)
9) Samford (new coach, they will struggle)
10) Citadel (what can you say, last year for Duggar)
 #26931  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:49 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:51 pm
This announcement will send Woffy down another notch or two.
Indeed, I already factored that in, Woffy will be battling Citadel and Samford at the very bottom of the conference to see who can avoid finishing last place
 #26934  by tya1
 Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:54 pm
These days it is harder than ever to make early predictions. There are so many potential changes with transfers, especially because the NCAA has been allowing immediate eligibility in many cases.

ETSU has a recently announced transfer, 6'7" 210 lb. Tyron Brewer, who averaged about 15 ppg. and 8 rebounds for Southeastern Louisiana last year joining the team. It is possible he may get immediate eligibility. ETSU had Tyron's brother, 6'5" 200 lb wing Ledarius Brewer, sitting out this year after transferring from Southeast Missouri. Tyron Brewer lead his team in scoring, rebounding, and steals last year. ESPN rates him the #14 transfer. ETSU also returns some of their top players like Bo Hodges and Patrick Good. Throw in some top Jucos and they will be right in the first place battle again.

UTC lost their point guard to transfer but should have most of the team back. They had a touted 6'3" transfer guard sitting out this year. Trey Doomes got a sudden increase in playing time and was very productive late in the season. He could be the wild card.
UNCG appears to have some good young players to help Miller - if they can get decent play from the replacements for Dickey and Galloway up front. That is the big question for them. They look very strong at guard and wing.
Western Carolina has good players coming back. Do they have a replacement for Carlos Dotson? I don't know.
Wofford will take a big hit if Goodwin leaves. He would be making a mistake by leaving. The Terriers' system is a very good one for him. I don't think he would be nearly as successful for most teams. He didn't do much at College of Charleston.
The Citadel may be better than people think. They had multiple injuries that hampered them this year. That included their top scorer, Hayden Brown, who missed most of the season. Their freshmen played well.
 #26948  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 am
tya1 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:54 pm
These days it is harder than ever to make early predictions. There are so many potential changes with transfers, especially because the NCAA has been allowing immediate eligibility in many cases.

ETSU has a recently announced transfer, 6'7" 210 lb. Tyron Brewer, who averaged about 15 ppg. and 8 rebounds for Southeastern Louisiana last year joining the team. It is possible he may get immediate eligibility. ETSU had Tyron's brother, 6'5" 200 lb wing Ledarius Brewer, sitting out this year after transferring from Southeast Missouri. Tyron Brewer lead his team in scoring, rebounding, and steals last year. ESPN rates him the #14 transfer. ETSU also returns some of their top players like Bo Hodges and Patrick Good. Throw in some top Jucos and they will be right in the first place battle again.

UTC lost their point guard to transfer but should have most of the team back. They had a touted 6'3" transfer guard sitting out this year. Trey Doomes got a sudden increase in playing time and was very productive late in the season. He could be the wild card.
UNCG appears to have some good young players to help Miller - if they can get decent play from the replacements for Dickey and Galloway up front. That is the big question for them. They look very strong at guard and wing.
Western Carolina has good players coming back. Do they have a replacement for Carlos Dotson? I don't know.
Wofford will take a big hit if Goodwin leaves. He would be making a mistake by leaving. The Terriers' system is a very good one for him. I don't think he would be nearly as successful for most teams. He didn't do much at College of Charleston.
The Citadel may be better than people think. They had multiple injuries that hampered them this year. That included their top scorer, Hayden Brown, who missed most of the season. Their freshmen played well.

Wonder how many total classes those ETSU players actually take, and better yet how many of them actually graduate?

Possible that is something holding Forbes back from getting a P5 job
 #26954  by paladinfan12
 Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:38 pm
I want Wofford to suck so bad. I want them to be terrible. And after they lost Jackson, Magee, and Aluma last year I thought for sure we would mop the floor with them.... but they still outplayed us in all 3 games against them this year.

Now they lose Stump, Hoover, and Goodwin. They have no players with any real size who have contributed in the past few seasons. They have to be terrible... right?
 #26957  by Roundball
 Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:58 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
I want Wofford to suck so bad. I want them to be terrible. And after they lost Jackson, Magee, and Aluma last year I thought for sure we would mop the floor with them.... but they still outplayed us in all 3 games against them this year.

Now they lose Stump, Hoover, and Goodwin. They have no players with any real size who have contributed in the past few seasons. They have to be terrible... right?
I just want to beat them.
Affirm liked this
 #26959  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:52 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:

Yes they will suck, for the 4th time in the past 6 years they will be a .500 type team at best, probably a losing record though honestly
 #27025  by Davemeister
 Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:48 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:52 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:

Yes they will suck, for the 4th time in the past 6 years they will be a .500 type team at best, probably a losing record though honestly
They are losing Hoover, but they will still "Hoover" big-time. And they will still be a thorn in our side.
 #27051  by gofurman
 Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:13 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:

Not to mention losin' MIKE YOUNG AT HEAD COACH to the ACC ! and they still beat us. good grief.

Recent Topics

User avatar TV

by MNORM

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:29 pm

Default Avatar WCU at Montana

by RoanokeGreensboro80

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:29 pm

by RoanokeGreensboro80

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:28 pm

by RoanokeGreensboro80

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:28 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by rangab

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:19 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.