I think the starting five is locked in

Hunter 5'11 (senior)
Bothwell 6'3 (junior)
Mounce 6'7 (senior)
Gurley 6'8 (junior)
Slawson 6'7 (junior)

That is a good shooting athletic group, going to play a lot of minutes together

My guess at the bench '2 deep':
Anderson 6'0 (hot shot, quick frosh guard)
Pugh 6'0 (junior, hoping he becomes the deep threat we all know he has the talent to be)
Foster 6'4 (redshirt frosh, heard great things about this kids versatility)
Hien 6'9 (frosh that has a nice looking all around game)
Lawerence 6'10 (redshirt frosh, have also heard good things about him as well)

2 others in the mix of course, certainly if work their butts off this off-season anything is possible
Kenney 6'1 (sophmore)
Beeker 6'9 (sophmore)

We also have 2 available scholarships if coach Richey finds anyone this Spring/Summer for next season
 #26873  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:39 pm
Monday wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:14 pm
JMU has already had a SF and C enter the transfer portal. Two guys who Coach Johnson would know well. Just sayin’.
Guess if we do go that route it would be for someone who is eligible to play next season
 #26876  by tya1
 Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:00 pm
If you are looking at transfers, Alex O'Connell of Duke has announced a transfer. We tried to sign his older brother Shawn when Medved was here. The O'Connells are from the Atlanta area. O'Connell is an very athletic wing (6'6" 190) who averaged 5 ppg and 2 rebs. this year while starting six games. Interestingly, his shooting percentages declined each year. He hit 49% of his threes as a freshman. That dropped to 37.5% as a sophomore and 27.3% this year. His playing time was actually pretty consistent - double digit minutes each year.

More likely than a transfer is that we look for a freshman to add to the program. That seems to be the way Richey would go.
 #26879  by Monday
 Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:33 am
Daniel Love of Mercer and Maurice Commander of UTC have each transferred. Both have had success at this level and both are players we recruited. Again, just sayin’.
 #26909  by tya1
 Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:36 pm
While on the subject - Asanti Price, 6'5" freshman guard at Georgia Tech, is transferring and mentioned Furman as one of about 25 schools that have contacted him. Price averaged about 2 ppg. in 15 games as a freshman at GT. He is from Columbia, SC's Keenan HS. His Verbal Commits page lists mostly mid-major level schools on his original list of offers in HS. Furman wasn't one of them at the time. His highlights from this season at GT show a smooth, athletic player with a good looking mid-range jump shot. Georgia Tech was about the only P5 type offer in HS.

Interesting that he seems to have much more interest after a freshman season with only 15 appearances. He commented in a story that he made a mistake originally by immediately committing to GT without taking other visits. He said he didn't "see eye-to-eye" with the coach this year, and that was why he was transferring.

Another Georgia Tech player, 6'10" Evan Cole, is also leaving as a grad transfer. Furman did originally offer him a scholarship in high school. He signed with UNCW but backed out after their coach left for the N. C. State job. He then chose GT from a large number of offers.
 #26919  by Paul C
 Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:15 pm
Monday wrote:
Daniel Love of Mercer and Maurice Commander of UTC have each transferred. Both have had success at this level and both are players we recruited. Again, just sayin’.
And now Wofford F Chevez Goodwin has entered the transfer portal as grad transfer.....
 #26921  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:04 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:15 pm
Monday wrote:
And now Wofford F Chevez Goodwin has entered the transfer portal as grad transfer.....

Big loss for them, they have virtually no inside game for next season now, Woffy gonna lose 16+ games again next year possibly
 #26949  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:53 am
I feel every single one of our starting 5 has legit breakout 'potential' to be all SoCon next season, gonna be a fun group to watch

Honestly we also will have 4 superb looking freshmen that have freshmen team potential as well, we will need a few of them to step up to hold down the bench unit next season
 #26953  by paladinfan12
 Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:21 pm
I'm most curious if Bothwell runs the point or they leave Hunter at point. I'd imagine Hunter will start with it, but Bothwell is such a scoring machine with the ball in his hands. I could see Richey always leaving one of them in - Kind of like the Chris Paul / James Harden experiment in Houston last year.
fufanatic liked this
 #26960  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:55 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
I'm most curious if Bothwell runs the point or they leave Hunter at point. I'd imagine Hunter will start with it, but Bothwell is such a scoring machine with the ball in his hands. I could see Richey always leaving one of them in - Kind of like the Chris Paul / James Harden experiment in Houston last year.
Good points, our best ball handling unit this year was with both of them out there, that's kinda how we were able to kick UNCG's butt up in Greensboro late in the season
Davemeister liked this
 #27060  by Paul C
 Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:39 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
I'd guess we see Joe Anderson in the rotation at PG giving Alex more rest. While Bothwell may play some "PG" I think the backup spot will ultimately be in the hands of Anderson.

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:53 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.