• Success

#2658  by MNORM
 Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:23 pm
I'm curious to hear what some of your expectations are for this upcoming season given the progress the program made in 2017. How would you define success (aside from just Ws and Ls)?
For me:
- Beat the bellhops and Wofford
- 14th SoCon Championship
- Home field for at least one playoff game (haven't had one since '05)
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #2664  by Jasper
 Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:22 pm
MNORM wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:23 pm
I'm curious to hear what some of your expectations are for this upcoming season given the progress the program made in 2017. How would you define success (aside from just Ws and Ls)?
For me:
- Beat the bellhops and Wofford
- 14th SoCon Championship
- Home field for at least one playoff game (haven't had one since '05)
1. Win the SoCon
2. Beat the snot out of Wofford
3. Win 2 playoff games including a home game
4. Shut out Citadel
5. Compete against Clemson
6. Don't suffer any season ending injuries
7. Get better every game
Bootie, dornb, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #2665  by Paul C
 Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:53 pm
"The Borat" (Great Success)
1. Win a National Championship

"The Austin Powers" (Yeah Baby! Yeah!)
1. Win the SoCon
2. Win 2 playoffs games, 1 at home

"The Mick Jagger" (Satisfaction)
1. Finish in top top 3 of SoCon but no more than 1 game out of the top spot
2. Win a playoff game

"The Gamecock Special" (almost, almost, so close)
1. Winning record
2. Squeak into playoffs but out in first round

"The Statesboro Blues" (we think we're great but we went 2-10 in 2017)
1. Anything less than above.....
Davemeister, FUBeAR liked this
 #2668  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:08 pm
I want to see our defense surrender less than 20 ppg and lead the league in scoring defense and set a school record for sacks.
furman88, MNORM liked this
 #2669  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:08 pm
I want to see our defense surrender less than 20 ppg and lead the league in scoring defense and set a school record for sacks.
So you don’t have any specific measures of success in mind, then?
 #2671  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:31 pm
Editing Jasper's list:
1. Win the SoCon
2. Beat ... Wofford
3. Beat Mercer
4. Avoid getting embarrassed against Clemson, neither by the score nor by the performance overall
5. Don't suffer any season ending injuries
6. Be ranked no lower than #15 in FCS after the season including playoffs
PaladinDad liked this
 #2686  by AlValonge
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:49 pm
I want us to post another successful year by at least matching our win total (8 games including playoff W) from last year. If we can improve our win total to 9 games this year with a SoCon championship and play off victory thrown in, then I will consider this season a great success. Of course, this includes victories over the Terriers & Citadel and winning ALL of our home games. High expectations I know, but dang it, that is what FU football used to be and will be again!
 #2688  by tya1
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:05 pm
Win so often and by so much that apaladin becomes an optimist.

OK - realistically, another trip to the playoffs will be a successful season. With an unproven QB and some offensive replacements to break in that is a good goal. Not easy but doable.
FUBeAR, Paul C, Bootie and 3 others liked this
 #2689  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:27 pm
A bit of a different angle on the subject at hand, but folks...this really is SUCCESS...and makes me very proud.

The Jackal, furman88, Paladin82 and 7 others liked this
 #2690  by cavedweller2
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:13 am
Urban Meyers’ players say the same thing about him.
 #2691  by paladinduece
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:22 am
Continue the solid recruiting and signing kids away from FBS programs and the likes of JMU
fufanatic liked this
 #2693  by fufanatic
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 am
Beating Wofford and making the playoffs again would be amazing with still a fairly young team, new QB and the fact that we won't sneak up on anyone this year. I'm hopeful for a lot more.
Jasper, Davemeister liked this
 #2697  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 am
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 am
Beating Wofford and making the playoffs again would be amazing with still a fairly young team, new QB and the fact that we won't sneak up on anyone this year. I'm hopeful for a lot more.
We aren't sneaking up on anyone, but we didn't really sneak up on anyone last year either (in my opinion).

We started 0-3, and then went on a tear, hammering Colgate, ETSU, UTC, and VMI. None of those teams were particularly impressive. By that time, with the meat of the conference schedule still in front of us, the rest of the SoCon was firmly on notice of how good Furman was.

Good news this season is Samford has been getting most of the preseason press in the SoCon. They have front runner status and extremely high expectations (and hype).
 #2710  by Davemeister
 Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:23 am
Any road map to a successful season MUST include a victory over Wofford.
Jasper liked this
 #2711  by gofurman
 Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:15 pm
In order

1). National champ - unlikely

2). SoCon Champ and playoff run of two games... including Furman stepping up to pay for a home game - c’mon people.

( VERy Tough to do this w Samford and Woff and if you do the math we probably have no better than a 30% chance at this. Why that number? *Clemson has been calculated at a 19% chance of going undefeated despite ACC easy division . It’s math. Say we have a .5 chance to beat Samford, .5 to beat Woff, .5 to beat Mercer. Right there is a .125 chance to go through those three without a loss. Three coin flips that have to all hit heads - now we can have other teams lose which helps and moves the meter back towards us)

3. At-large bid with wins over Citade and Wofford. - would be super happy to get this. We owe Wofford now. Been 3 in a row for them plus knocking us out of playoff

4. At-large to make playoffs. Would be Very happy with this. After so many years of no playoffs to hit this would be great to do twice in a row

5. Winning season. Beat one of Wofford or Citadel. Moderately pleased. I would expect we should be favored in more games than not.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.