• "spring" practice

#26049  by FUBeAR
 Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:38 am
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:16 am
Seriously, no one has a single update on spring practice that they can share publicly? It's never been this quiet.
Wishbone successfully implemented; Spring ‘Game’ passing game ruse perfectly executed.
Paladin82 liked this
 #26050  by AstroDin
 Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:49 am
I was at the practice > spring game. Random Thoughts and Such…

Probably one of the more physical, vocal, energetic spring games I've seen. Several running backs were out (see release), not concerned by the running game performance.

Defense. The defensive line did play very well, Cujo and Sochovka played very well. We're going to love the DL coach. Hope was very disruptive, great to see him having fun. The linebacking corps looks very good Gilby, one thing I noticed Gilby is listed (6-2 233) Agbenou is listed (6-2 235) both are big dudes - but - Gilby IMO is a really big dude. I think those two are going to be special. Jalen Miller appears to be a great fit at ILB.

Backfield… Dimarcus Clay played very well, he made a few highlight pass breakups. Concerning the defensive backfield, we have some serious depth. The Dins rotated heavily, Rhodes and Richards saw a bunch of PT often together. Very nice size bump at safety, adding two 6-1 185 safeties. When you add Hugh Ryan 6-1 190 we've got some length.

Offense. I'll start with the O-Line. Appearance-wise the offensive linemen looked very long and in shape - no big bellies out there. It will be curious to see what happens when the 2020 class joins this group. Running game - a lot going on here. If you were at the practice part, we're solid. Tight ends, glad to see Walker looks completely recovered from his knee injury. Ryan. Miller had a big catch for a long TD. CCH made the statement that the receivers have become one of the strengths of this class. The play on the field backed that up, lots of moving parts. Bell played in high gear the whole scrimmage, Bell is a weapon in many ways. I thought Kimmelman had a great game, Furman now has a bigger corps of receivers- Kimmelman 6-2 185, Shiflett 6-2 205, Peterson 6-2 187, Henderson 6-1 200. A nice contrast to the quick guys Bell and Deluca. Incoming signee Kelton Gunn was at the game. When you add Gunn and Hughes joining the receivers in the summer. The Dins suddenly have a budding young dynamic group.

OK, quarterbacks… Grainger and Sisson looked crisp, confident, and especially in Grainger's case played loose and relaxed. Sisson kicked off the first big play with a beautiful pass to Miller for a TD. Then Grainger let it rip on a picture-perfect bomb to Bell. I'd say both played well but I'd give the nod to Grainger. We're in good shape with three very good quarterbacks.

Final note - Saturday was also Junior Day - tons of excited to be there high schoolers and their families. Several highly recruited players were in attendance. If your interested who was there - may I suggest you follow the hashtag #purpledrip21 as well @PaladinFootball lots of photos and such will fill up your twitter stream. I know I shouldn't have to say this - but if you do follow the hashtags and the players, please don't comment. It's ok to like a tweet but I'd refrain from posting a comment.
MNORM, 76MrMoto liked this
 #26051  by FurmAlum
 Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:21 am
My theory on the lack of run production was that the defense was set up to stack the box and shut down the run similar to what a lot of teams did to us last year,especially near the end of the season in order to force us to throw.

That will be what teams next year will do. Our ability to be able to pass effectively when we have to is the key to high level success next year. If we can do that, then we will be able to run it down anybody's throat which is the ultimate goal.

Seems like we passed the test. Is this accurate Astro?
 #26054  by AstroDin
 Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:48 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:21 am
My theory on the lack of run production was that the defense was set up to stack the box and shut down the run similar to what a lot of teams did to us last year,especially near the end of the season in order to force us to throw.

That will be what teams next year will do. Our ability to be able to pass effectively when we have to is the key to high level success next year. If we can do that, then we will be able to run it down anybody's throat which is the ultimate goal.

Seems like we passed the test. Is this accurate Astro?
great point - I would say so. I'm guessing here — I think in 2020 we will finally see more of what CCH and GQ have wanted to do with the offense.

We had two redshirt freshmen QBs lead us to the playoffs, from my POV they've worked hard, they've improved and they both can make the throws. Next — who's going to catch the ball.

We have a lot of men with the skill set to run and catch.
All of the DINS runningbacks can catch the ball - adding Thomas in the fall will add another dimenson.
We have some size now that can also better fit the ability to block.
Back to dynamic players. Bell is a prototype dynamic player… we had two games where we didn't seem to get seperation - Wofford and APSU. Henderson and Shiflett are dynamic big receivers. Deluca will benefit from defenses having to scheme for Bell.
 #26097  by DeepPurple
 Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:23 pm
We all know in this group that FU can run the football. Looks like our receivers have stepped us and could now be a strength. I look forward to toe meeting leather in a few months!
QCGlue liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.