• SoCon Tournament (Asheville March 6-9)

#25816  by fufanatic
 Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:45 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:30 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:21 am
Paul C wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:07 pm
I feel like if we play Wofford again we win by 20.
Anything in particular that gives you that much confidence? I genuinely believe that our starting 5 is better than their starting 5 as evident by SoCon records. But for whatever reason, it is never easy against those guys. Especially this year. Get blown out in game one and need a near buzzer beater to win game two after trailing for much of the game. I would be sweating bullets playing them again.
because Jordan, Clay, Bothwell and Alex won't go 1-19 from 3 again.....
I doubt they will either, but in two games played against Wofford, the Paladins are 12-52 (23%) from 3. I agree that if they shot lights out from 3 they would win by 20, but that hasn't come close to happening against the Terriers this year. We are due if we meet them in Asheville.
 #25817  by apaladin
 Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:28 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:09 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:00 pm
Furman is going to shoot about 60% in some game really soon...Don't know which one it will be, but they're too good of shooters to shoot the way they have been for a long duration.
Hope your on to something here!!
you’re not your. :lol:
 #25935  by furpop16
 Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:42 pm
I figure we get 24 hrs after a big win to revel & dream & make far-reaching posts; fwiw, here's what's running through my head regarding the NCAA tournament & a 2-bid SoCon:

If I were a SuperSeven (P5 + American & BigEast), I've gotta be rooting hard for ETSU in particular and a one-bid SoCon in general. At first blush a casual fan might hope for a 2-bid SoCon with the expectation that another mid-major would be additional easy pickings. But more nuanced observers know better. As Auburn's coach said of us "nobody wants to play 'em" and I've gotta think that applies now more than ever. The KenPom & NET rankings up to now have totally favored the bigs - what with the sparse OOC opportunities and even those requiring us to fly all over creation just to nab what we can - but that very process also carries a couple of double-edged swords: first, while our coming up short in OT against Auburn doesn't get reflected in the rankings, it nevertheless builds-in "sandbagging" in our favor. Moreover, by forcing us to always play in their venues the power conferences themselves are the ones who've molded us into Raging Road Warriors - which any would be loathe to face on neutral turf.

Yeah, they'd better hope we don't get in, else they'll be hoisted with their own petards.
 #25946  by dinhead
 Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:26 am
Furman Sports Report wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:57 am
The way VMI has been playing lately, all four higher seeds better bring it on that Saturday (assuming the No. 7 wins and VMI wins the 8/9 Friday).
VMI could be an interesting spoiler.
-They only trailed Virginia Tech by 6 with under a minute to go despite getting zero free throw attempts in the entire game ! First time that's happened since SoCon realignment in 1958 !
- Lost to ETSU by 5 at home and 6 at Johnson City
- Took Furman to OT in Greenville
- Lost by 3 to UNCG
 #25947  by dinhead
 Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:36 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:25 pm
I drove up from Atlanta last year and it was quite disappointing to see the lack of Furman fans. ETSU and Wofford fans were abundant - there is no reason that Wofford should be drawing more fans than us to the tournament. I mean it's 62 miles from Greenville to Asheville - Furman should have that place packed.
Furman basketball fans just don't travel well. I've been to games at Wofford , Davidson, UNCC as well as the annual pilgrimage to Asheville. All venues within a two hour drive of Greenville yet very little fan support. Yet in football we've had great turnouts in games I've gone to in Pittsburgh, Gainesville , Elon and Wofford. Maybe the Furman football fans are just more passionate.
 #25948  by dinhead
 Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:40 am
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:13 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
I drove up from Atlanta last year and it was quite disappointing to see the lack of Furman fans. ETSU and Wofford fans were abundant - there is no reason that Wofford should be drawing more fans than us to the tournament. I mean it's 62 miles from Greenville to Asheville - Furman should have that place packed.
Wofford was 18-0 in conference last year and by most accounts had their best team in school history. Also had been in NCAA tourney 4 times since 2010. Also had Magee the So Conf player of the year. Wofford also bused students to the tournament.

No comparison in why they had more fans than Furman. Unfortunately Furman needs to WIN in the tournament to get a good turnout year after year.

If we are consistent enough to end up being the # 1 seed this year, that in and of itself would boost the Furman attendance.
It certainly helps if you know you have a good chance to get to the finals. ETSU turnout last year was what really impressed me.
 #25949  by dinhead
 Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:45 am
Roundball wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:52 am
It seems to me that the answer is to get the SoCon to pressure Asheville to improve the facility, or move the tournament. I love Asheville as the host city, but improvements to the arena have to be made. It's a dump.
Sadly, it was renovated years ago in order to get the tournament back there. I doubt the city is going to invest in any improvements. It's just an old, dirty building but the location is fantastic.
 #25950  by Roundball
 Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 am
dinhead wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:45 am
Roundball wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:52 am
It seems to me that the answer is to get the SoCon to pressure Asheville to improve the facility, or move the tournament. I love Asheville as the host city, but improvements to the arena have to be made. It's a dump.
Sadly, it was renovated years ago in order to get the tournament back there. I doubt the city is going to invest in any improvements. It's just an old, dirty building but the location is fantastic.
It was renovated? The city should ask for a refund.
apaladin liked this
 #25955  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:50 pm
dinhead wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:36 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Furman basketball fans just don't travel well. I've been to games at Wofford , Davidson, UNCC as well as the annual pilgrimage to Asheville. All venues within a two hour drive of Greenville yet very little fan support. Yet in football we've had great turnouts in games I've gone to in Pittsburgh, Gainesville , Elon and Wofford. Maybe the Furman football fans are just more passionate.
As pitiful and on a decline as home football attendance has been I don't think it makes alot of sense to compare the two, certainly football has some passionate fans, but I've noticed the vast majority of those that are at the 6 or so road football games per year are player parents these days.

Much more energy in the basketball fan base lately, especially with students, you will see the traveling base continue to grow in hoops with each passing successful season, the administration has done a better job this year being active and getting the message out. As far as the tournament is concerned we just need to get the student spring break date changed in the future and boom, the sky is the limit!
bj93, QCGlue, Affirm liked this
 #25961  by Flagman
 Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:10 pm
My record of football attendance has been well documented. A few years ago, we added season basketball tickets to our budget, as well as membership in the Roundball Club. This year we attended away games at Elon (2), citadel, Chattanooga, and VMI. You're right that most of the fan support on the road has been player-parents and coaches wives, but there has been regular fan support, as well. And generally, away fans are way more vocal, although, even us old folks have gotten into things at Timmons this year.
 #25962  by Paul C
 Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:33 pm
A football game is an "event", while a basketball game is a "game".

As someone who has a busy personal life with family and work I know that out of our 11/12 football games per year, I'll probably get to see maybe 5 in person. So yeah, when we play at Wofford, I go. Every year.

But I also know, with the same work/fam schedule, that I'll get to 12 or so basketball games/year. So when we play at Wofford I always SAY "I should go this year" but then I look at my schedule and say "aw hell, I'll just watch on espn3 because we have a home game on Sat that I'll go to".

But next year I promise I'll go to Woffy :)

And I always make it to at least one tourney game....

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by FUTex

Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:26 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.