• SoCon Tournament (Asheville March 6-9)

#25720  by Monday
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:53 am
The plus side to having to play Wofford on Saturday is that they might have already played the run 'n gun Citadel. But I'd rather not play them at all until the tournament finals. A slate of Wofford, UNCG, and ETSU is one we'd likely not survive.
 #25738  by Roundball
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:38 am
I am not giving up on first place. Assuming we win the next 2 games, if Wofford beats ETSU, we will be tied for first place, right? Anyone know which team gets the number 1 seed if we are tied with ETSU?

I read the SoCon tie-break rules (below). My head hurts now.

From SOCONSPORTS.COM :

Tie-Breaking Formula
In the event of a tie for a particular seed, the seed will be determined as follows:
If one team has defeated the other team a greater number of times, that team shall be awarded the
higher seeded position;
If each team has won one game against the other, the higher position will be awarded to the team
that has the best won-loss record against the highest-seeded team not involved in the tie;
If each team has the same record against the highest-seeded team not involved in the tie, then the
won-loss record against the next highest-seeded team not involved in the tie would be
considered and so on down the line until the tie is broken;
If the won-loss records are the same against all teams, then the tie would be broken by
comparing each team’s NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) ranking as published by NCAA.com after
the completion of the regular season;
In the event of a three-way tie, the won-loss record of the tied teams against each other is first
considered;
If the teams are still tied, the teams’ records against the highest-seeded team not involved in the
tie would be considered and so forth until the tie is broken;
If there is still a tie, then the tie would be broken by comparing each team’s NET rankings as
published by NCAA.com after the completion of the regular season;
For multiple ties larger than a three-way tie, the same procedure will be applied as used to break
a three-way tie;
For all multiple ties, the tie is broken by first deciding the highest-seeded team involved in the tie
before other seeding positions are determined.
 #25743  by fufanatic
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:50 pm
So ETSU clinches 1 seed with a win in one of its last two games. Furman would have to go 2-0 and ETSU 0-2 to get 1 seed. Winner between Furman - UNCG gets 2 seed. Loser gets 3 seed.
 #25746  by purplehorse
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:57 pm
Our chance for #1 essentially ended when Samford blew a late 4 point lead against ETSU yesterday. It still would have taken a FU win over UNCG and Wofford win over ETSU but that would have at least been possible. The door to # 1 seed and playing against a lesser # 8 team at noon and then playing a middle tier team in the second round has closed. Maybe there will be some upsets.
 #25747  by Paul C
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:07 pm
I feel like if we play Wofford again we win by 20.

More worried about Mercer and their shooters than anyone outside the T3.
 #25767  by fufanatic
 Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:21 am
Paul C wrote:
Anything in particular that gives you that much confidence? I genuinely believe that our starting 5 is better than their starting 5 as evident by SoCon records. But for whatever reason, it is never easy against those guys. Especially this year. Get blown out in game one and need a near buzzer beater to win game two after trailing for much of the game. I would be sweating bullets playing them again.
 #25770  by Davemeister
 Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:21 am
To beat the Ankle-biters by 20 we would have to rebound and shoot a lot better than we did last Saturday. We should do better on the boards against a team that is essentially our size.
 #25771  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:24 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:57 pm
Our chance for #1 essentially ended when Samford blew a late 4 point lead against ETSU yesterday. It still would have taken a FU win over UNCG and Wofford win over ETSU but that would have at least been possible. The door to # 1 seed and playing against a lesser # 8 team at noon and then playing a middle tier team in the second round has closed. Maybe there will be some upsets.
ETSU has to go to Wofford and then gets Western at home. No cakewalks there. Certainly nice for them to get the final game at home (especially if they slip up at Wofford), but the door is certainly not closed until the last game on Saturday.
 #25779  by tim
 Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:31 pm
If we are playing our game, hitting our shots, we are at least 15 points better than Woffy. You could see that in the 2nd half Saturday. With Clark in there, no way they get the offensive boards they got. No way Woffy gets the lucky bounces and Sports Center saves ever again. They were at their absolute best Saturday, and they lost.
Roundball, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #25785  by Paul C
 Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:30 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:21 am
Paul C wrote:
Anything in particular that gives you that much confidence? I genuinely believe that our starting 5 is better than their starting 5 as evident by SoCon records. But for whatever reason, it is never easy against those guys. Especially this year. Get blown out in game one and need a near buzzer beater to win game two after trailing for much of the game. I would be sweating bullets playing them again.
because Jordan, Clay, Bothwell and Alex won't go 1-19 from 3 again.....
Roundball liked this
 #25789  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:09 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:00 pm
Furman is going to shoot about 60% in some game really soon...Don't know which one it will be, but they're too good of shooters to shoot the way they have been for a long duration.
Hope your on to something here!!

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by The Jackal

Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:38 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.