• Woffy at Furman (BSW) - February 22

#25711  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:50 pm
I agree, the defense won the game. It was good the whole day. In fact the defense won the UTC game too. We of course are a 3 point shooting team but we have been in a slump the last 3 games 14-64 under 22%. We have been a good 3 point shooting team all year so we need to get back to normal and I think we will.

Not a big thng but didn't the PA mess up by introducing Bothwell as a starter? Like I said not a big thing but it did end our same starting lineup streak.
 #25713  by FurmAlum
 Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:24 pm
First the Negatives:

1. Lyons,Mounce,Hunter 0-15 from 3. How can we shoot so bad? Maybe a little tight due to the hype of the game? I think our players might have been trying too hard. You could tell how much that game meant to them after reading Bothwell's quotes after the game. Playing in the the big arena? Who knows? Gotta learn to shoot in hyped up games in big arena's if we want to win an NCAA game.

2. Gurley and Slawson need to learn to make their short shots. They miss way too many layups.

3. Why do we give up so many offensive rebounds in the second half? I don't have the answer to this one.

4. Really missed Clark. Hope his injury is not serious and can play against UNCG.

Now the POSITIVES:

1. Thank God for Mike Bothwell. And Gurley played great,too. Made all his 3's! Played great defense. Had some steals.

2. That game was won at the defensive end of the court. The whole team played great on defense. The players that did not shoot well contributed with defense, assists, steals, rebounds, and hustle. It says a lot about the grit of a team that can win when it shoots poorly.

3. All the class of 2022 came up with big plays when we needed them. Slawson with those late game steals. Pugh hit a big 3 right when we needed it. It's not easy to come off the bench, cold, late it the game and hit a big shot! And Bothwell. My goodness. He'll be All SoCon, and maybe an All American before he is done.

4. 6,000 at the Well! We give up a little home court advantage by playing there, but last time I checked you can't get 6K in Timmons. Eventually as we get used to it, it may become a bigger home court advantage. Bet no P5 school wants to play us there.

That was a hard game to watch because of all the shooting miscues, but the ending MADE ALL THE PAIN GO AWAY!!
Huge win!
 #25714  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:56 pm
Arena IMHO had nothing to do with the poor shooting. We have played 3 times at the well plus other(Auburn, Alabama etc. Read my post above. We are in a shooting slump for 3 games in a row including one game at Timmons. We will get the shooting touch back. Agree about everything else, defense won the game.
 #25716  by furpop16
 Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:39 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:43 pm
Can you imagine the uproar against playing at The Well if we had dropped 2 of the 3 we played there?

Had Hoover hit that three at the buzzer The Well would've been snake-bit. But he didn't.

Jason Donnelly deserves a huge atta-boy ... I bet he spends all day tomorrow in church.
 #25721  by Roundball
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:55 am
The guys on our radio network were saying, “foul them” during that last 11 seconds. It does not matter now, but I wonder if there was any thought of fouling during Wofford’s last possession. We had 4 fouls to give and could have almost run the clock down by fouling, especially before they reached half court.
FUpaladin08 and 1 others liked this
 #25728  by CharlieFU
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:12 am
Good to see Rafferty, Acox and Beans in the house. Other players included Nick Sanders.

The Well draws people who don’t normally attend games at Timmons. The “experiment” has worked, in my view. It’s something we can build on.

There is no quit in this team. Just kept fighting.

Sure wish we could steal one at UNCG.
 #25730  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:23 am
Roundball wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:40 pm
I find it funny that some say we cannot win with shooting so many 3 pointers, and then say when we can't win without the 3 pointers. Well, we seem to find a way to win either way. Kudos to the Paladins to finding a way to pull this one out.
For me it is all about shot selection. I have no problem with 3 pointers that work through our offense. My problem is dribbling down the court and jacking one up without anyone else touching the ball, and earlier in the year we seemed to do that even more when the shots weren’t falling. We’ve gotten away from that lately, and coach BR on the post game mentioned that even though they weren’t falling yesterday all of our threes were coming after paint touches. I’ve got no problem with those.
bj93 liked this
 #25731  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:28 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:12 am
Good to see Rafferty, Acox and Beans in the house. Other players included Nick Sanders.

The Well draws people who don’t normally attend games at Timmons. The “experiment” has worked, in my view. It’s something we can build on.

There is no quit in this team. Just kept fighting.

Sure wish we could steal one at UNCG.
Agreed - the experiment was a huge success. That was a big time atmosphere and everyone associated with Furman should be proud of what we did yesterday. FU did everything possible to hype the game and it paid off. Now if we can replicate even half of that in Asheville we may be on to something. Let’s get it done!
 #25734  by MNORM
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:47 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:21 pm
Whew!! So glad we somehow pulled that one out. A loss would have been hard to swallow after missing so opportunities. Gurley was 3-3 from 3 and everyone else 2-21. Gotta start shooting the 3's better. Lyons with no 3's. Lyons, Hunter and Mounce with 15 total points. How did we win? Is anyone else starting to get concerned about Hunter seemingly not wanting to shoo?. We need points from him. Did anyone notice the PA annoncer screwed up the starting lineup by introducing Bothwell? The starting 5 was sitting on the bench as usual and Bothwell was standing up and acted shocked when they called his name. Hunter immediately came into the game when it started. Once you are introduced you have to start. That broke our string of starting the same 5 all year. I hope Tre Clark is back Wednesday. Bothwell was POTG. Love the BB team reaction above. One other thing Pugh hit a big 3.
Hunter had one of the best defensive performances I've seen out of a Furman player (not named Tre Clark) in years.
He may not have shot the ball but he kept Woff from getting easy scores and disrupted their game flow almost every time down the court.
 #25790  by Paul C
 Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:16 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:50 am
Anybody know if any recruits were there? Bet it would have gone a long way toward selling them.
Yes we had a couple 2021 targets there...

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by The Jackal

Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:38 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.