• SoCon Tournament (Asheville March 6-9)

#25471  by Roundball
 Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:52 am
It seems to me that the answer is to get the SoCon to pressure Asheville to improve the facility, or move the tournament. I love Asheville as the host city, but improvements to the arena have to be made. It's a dump.
Last edited by Roundball on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #25472  by fufanatic
 Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:25 am
MNORM wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:42 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:31 pm
Was in Asheville last night at Harrah's Cherokee-Asheville. The area is dark and dirty. Facility is not in good condition. There are better facilities, cities available. Tourney needs to move from Asheville IMHO.
It has been attended for Semis and Finals well past few years, but yes its an older arena

Downtown Greenville at Bon Secours is nicer and basically the only other central location the SoCon should consider to have the tournament if its going to upgrade and move locations
I agree, I think Greenville would be a great option. But I would really miss traveling, and I do think the rest of the league might view it as a Furman Advantage (see what I did there... hehe).
Love the Asheville location. That said, if it were to move I think the Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte would be a good venue. 8600 seats...plenty of hotels...5 minutes from the central business district...and shouldn't be any complaints about the proximity to a SoCon school.
Second this suggestion. Especially now that Davidson and App are out of the league.
 #25474  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:29 am
MNORM wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Was in Asheville last night at Harrah's Cherokee-Asheville. The area is dark and dirty. Facility is not in good condition. There are better facilities, cities available. Tourney needs to move from Asheville IMHO.
It has been attended for Semis and Finals well past few years, but yes its an older arena

Downtown Greenville at Bon Secours is nicer and basically the only other central location the SoCon should consider to have the tournament if its going to upgrade and move locations
I agree, I think Greenville would be a great option. But I would really miss traveling, and I do think the rest of the league might view it as a Furman Advantage (see what I did there... hehe).
Love the Asheville location. That said, if it were to move I think the Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte would be a good venue. 8600 seats...plenty of hotels...5 minutes from the central business district...and shouldn't be any complaints about the proximity to a SoCon school.

Going Bojangles in Charlotte would make zero sense over moving it to Greenville, Bojangles is also a crappy old arena and in a not so great section of town. Also Charlotte would have zero interest in bidding, they only did it one year that steph was suppose to be a senior but he bounced on them anyway lol.
Greenville is nicer arena right in downtown and better proximity to more socon schools.
 #25477  by paladinfan12
 Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:40 am
MNORM wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I went to the one in BoJangles back in 2010. AS far as traveling goes - I prefer Asheville much more to Charlotte.
 #25480  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:50 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:40 am
MNORM wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I went to the one in BoJangles back in 2010. AS far as traveling goes - I prefer Asheville much more to Charlotte.

Charlotte is much much nicer city than Asheville, but the Bojangles facility is not located downtown which makes it less than ideal, being able to walk around from hotel, arena, restaurants, ect. is a must!
 #25576  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:12 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:09 pm
You could also move the tournament to the Infinite Energy Center in Gwinnett - 13,000 seat arena, just north of ATL. Would be more direct for Mercer, Samford, and UTC, with 1 1/2-2 hr drive from Greenville/Spartanburg. Lots of hotels nearby as well as Mall of GA.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WiTg_I4ryNM/V ... 143608.jpg

That's 2 hours from Furman, we have a hard enough time getting people to go 1 hour to Asheville

Also Samford gets zero say in anything, they have about 200 fans for home games and never more than 30 people at the tournament :lol:
 #25579  by Paladin91
 Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:20 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
You could also move the tournament to the Infinite Energy Center in Gwinnett - 13,000 seat arena, just north of ATL. Would be more direct for Mercer, Samford, and UTC, with 1 1/2-2 hr drive from Greenville/Spartanburg. Lots of hotels nearby as well as Mall of GA.

That's 2 hours from Furman, we have a hard enough time getting people to go 1 hour to Asheville

Also Samford gets zero say in anything, they have about 200 fans for home games and never more than 30 people at the tournament :lol:
It's an easy 2 hr drive, if that long from Greenville. 1 hr 54 min at speed limit. I imagine SOCON wants a fairly neutral location. You also might get a bigger student contingent since probably half of FU students are from Atlanta.
fufanatic liked this
 #25580  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:24 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:20 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:

It's an easy 2 hr drive, if that long from Greenville. 1 hr 54 min at speed limit. I imagine SOCON wants a fairly neutral location. You also might get a bigger student contingent since probably half of FU students are from Atlanta.

Give me 1 legitimate reason moving it there over Greenville makes more sense?

The simple answer is it would not be close to anything, which would make it a disaster in a smaller league like the SoCon
 #25582  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:30 pm
Also its a 100% fact that the only way you will ever get Furman students to the SoCon tournament is that 1) school will have to be in AND 2) Furman will have to be organized in busing the students to the tournament
Facts
 #25589  by Roundball
 Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:20 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Also its a 100% fact that the only way you will ever get Furman students to the SoCon tournament is that 1) school will have to be in AND 2) Furman will have to be organized in busing the students to the tournament
Facts
Spring break begins on Saturday, March 7. There will be very few students on campus to bus.
 #25590  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:25 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:20 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Facts
Spring break begins on Saturday, March 7. There will be very few students on campus to bus.

Which is obviously my entire point, Step 1 is to get spring break to fall 1 week later (for 2021), Step 2 is to bus them to the tournament

There is no other scenario which will yield Furman students at the tourney, ever

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:24 pm

Default Avatar Bothwell

by PeterGrif

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:19 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by bj93

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.