• UTC @ Furman (Feb. 15)(Championship Push)

#25385  by Roundball
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:48 pm
Disappointed in the crowd last night. A lot of empty seats, especially in the second half. I don’t get it. What does it take to get Furman folks excited about this team?
 #25387  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:58 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:41 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:13 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:37 am
We essentially have 7 starters. They are all sharing the minutes.

While I would love to see Pugh more, I trust the coaches to do the right thing. As I said elsewhere teams now know Pugh is a shooter and he won’t get the looks he got at Auburn—or at least not as easily. Kenney by contrast seems more comfortable overall while in the court. Just 5-8 minutes a game helps.
You honestly think Kenney seems comfortable on the court? That is not what I see. The fact that teams may be aware that Pugh is a shooter does not mean that we cannot create shot opportunities for him with screens and corner throw outs from drivers. Lets see if he has a hot hand while he is eating those 5 minutes. We sure could have used some made 3 pointers last night. We shot 17% on 3 of 18 and that is what kept Chattanooga in the game. I cannot conceive of FU beating ETSU, Wofford or UNCG with a repeat of that statistic.
However, you are entitled to your opinion.
Thanks for letting me have an opinion! 😀

Notice I said “more comfortable.” More than others. By comparison. He is not ready for prime time and neither is Pugh. But it’s clear to me that the players who perform better in practice earn the right to play. And right now that’s Kenney and not Pugh.
Here's the point in our broadcast where I remind the masses that Furman is currently being led by perhaps our most successful head coach ever.

If he likes Kenney over Pugh off the bench, I'm sure there's a reason.
 #25392  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:51 pm
I looked up JP's stats. Didn't realize he has not scored since the N.Greenville game. He has only played 41 minutes since then and is 0-8. I agree with CharlieFU, niether Pugh or Kenney are ready(yet).
 #25393  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:59 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:48 pm
Disappointed in the crowd last night. A lot of empty seats, especially in the second half. I don’t get it. What does it take to get Furman folks excited about this team?
Attendance was 2,430 which is near capacity but I was most disappointed that the student section was not completely full.
 #25399  by Jasper
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:55 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:58 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Jasper wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:

While I would love to see Pugh more, I trust the coaches to do the right thing. As I said elsewhere teams now know Pugh is a shooter and he won’t get the looks he got at Auburn—or at least not as easily. Kenney by contrast seems more comfortable overall while in the court. Just 5-8 minutes a game helps.
You honestly think Kenney seems comfortable on the court? That is not what I see. The fact that teams may be aware that Pugh is a shooter does not mean that we cannot create shot opportunities for him with screens and corner throw outs from drivers. Lets see if he has a hot hand while he is eating those 5 minutes. We sure could have used some made 3 pointers last night. We shot 17% on 3 of 18 and that is what kept Chattanooga in the game. I cannot conceive of FU beating ETSU, Wofford or UNCG with a repeat of that statistic.

Notice I said “more comfortable.” More than others. By comparison. He is not ready for prime time and neither is Pugh. But it’s clear to me that the players who perform better in practice earn the right to play. And right now that’s Kenney and not Pugh.
Here's the point in our broadcast where I remind the masses that Furman is currently being led by perhaps our most successful head coach ever.

If he likes Kenney over Pugh off the bench, I'm sure there's a reason.
I forgot where I was there for a minute. Mea culpa, I have blasphemed by having the audacity to question your leader’s infallible judgement as to who is the correct 8th man on the team. And even worse to question the opinion of his loyal followers. I will leave you to your fawning bliss
 #25401  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:58 pm
Hunter, Mounce and Lyons scored 113 points in the 2 previous games. Saturday they combined for 13. Hard to believe we won in that situation but thankfully the others stepped up. Hunter only took one shot, Mounce 5 and Lyons 7. Obviously it was UTC's gameplan to limit possessions and they did a good job of doing just and keeping the score loe. They really milked the shot clock on about every possession and had 4 or 5 shot clock violations.
 #25404  by MNORM
 Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:13 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Jasper wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:

Until Pugh can play defense like Kenney he'll remain out of the rotation...doesn't matter how good of an outside shot he has.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:32 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Bothwell

by PeterGrif

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:19 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.