• 2020 commitments

#24782  by Yadkin
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:51 am
Wondering if this is the son of former baseball Paladin Rob Goecker?
 #24783  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:53 am
I know it was a position of need, but in the last month or so we've added Henderson, Hughes, Gunn, and Goecker at WR. Shiflett also appears to be moving out that way as well.
 #24785  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:55 am
Yadkin wrote:
Just a google search pulls up a physician of the same name from the same town in Florida. The website lists him as a Furman grad.

So, I would assume the same guy.
 #24786  by AstroDin
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:40 am
Yadkin wrote:
You called it Dr. Robert Goecker lives in South Brandeton, FL - I'm sure he's a busy podatrist serving the Sarasota area.
 #24788  by Davemeister
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:02 am
Let me get this straight: we signed a 4-star kicker? If true, that's huge . . . HUGE.
 #24789  by paladinfan12
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:13 am
I don't see Spencer Pankratz anywhere on 247 or Rivals. He is not a 4* per the recruiting services. Hopefully he plays like one.
 #24790  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:20 am
Davemeister wrote:
Let me get this straight: we signed a 4-star kicker? If true, that's huge . . . HUGE.
I have no inside knowledge of this, but I think the kickers are often rated by their own services and kicking coaches. Their four star/five star ratings were not 247 or Rivals as best I can tell.

Kicker is also sort of a strange position to evaluate for recruiting. The size of the school, competition level, physical stature, etc. aren't particularly relevant questions. The question is whether the ball goes through the uprights, how consistently, and at what distance.

I'd expect a D1 kicker at just about any program to have a leg to hit beyond 50 and convert 70-80% of their kicks.
 #24808  by 76MrMoto
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:32 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Not a four star but a kicker in a very tough league. More info about him can be found at https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/spence ... /stats.htm . Also a swimmer which means he is an real athlete.

Furman also is signing a softball player from Valor.
 #24817  by FUBeAR
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
I have no inside knowledge of this, but I think the kickers are often rated by their own services and kicking coaches. Their four star/five star ratings were not 247 or Rivals as best I can tell.

Kicker is also sort of a strange position to evaluate for recruiting. The size of the school, competition level, physical stature, etc. aren't particularly relevant questions. The question is whether the ball goes through the uprights, how consistently, and at what distance.

I'd expect a D1 kicker at just about any program to have a leg to hit beyond 50 and convert 70-80% of their kicks.
Certainly not referencing anyone in particular, but I think it would be VERY interesting for someone to do a statistical correlation analysis between K/P/LS Rankings & the total Lifetime $’s spent by the Player attending each of these gurus camps / lessons / competitions.

I’ve been eyeing these entities with a (perhaps too) cynical eye for quite a few years now.

I’m sure aqualung, a renowned Kicking Coach, will have an informed opinion on this topic, most likely differing from FUBeAR’s suspicions.

Remove your greasy fingers from your shabby clothes, place them upon your keyboard & let us know how you see it from your angle on the park bench, sir.
 #24824  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:29 am
So, this interview confirms a few of my suspicions regarding our focus on recruiting several "bigger" slot receivers - https://gridironscouting.com/2020/02/02 ... es-furman/
“I am coming into Furman as a wide receiver but talking with the staff, they plan to give me the ball in several ways,” said Hughes.

“They want to use me in the slot, giving me the chance at 1 on 1 opportunities and using my athletic abilities to create mismatches. They also plan to hand the ball off to me too. Whether that be at running back, special teams or in other ways, they just want the ball in my hands as much as possible.”
MNORM, AstroDin, FUKA61 liked this
 #24826  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:57 am
Just looking back through some video - here's an example of what I think Furman is trying to do with some of these new recruits. An example from the Point game:

Furman is showing a 3WR look with Chase Abshier, a TB, lined up in the slot. Ben Page, a TE, is in the backfield along with Dominic Roberto, a RB. Abshier comes in motion to the backfield. Now Furman has moved into a two back set. You can see the pickle Point is in - Furman has 8 men to Point's 7 inside the box.

Furman does this sort of thing a lot. To this point, though, most of the slot guys have been WRs (Gordon and Armstrong) who are very unlikely to run the ball. They'll move the TB outside - like they did with Abshier - but outside of Wayne Anderson, they are not really guys that are running WR routes. While our offense throws a lot at a defense, it can be predictable at times because you know some guys aren't going to run the ball and some guys aren't going to beat you deep.

Players like Gunn and Hughes may give Furman more flexibility. They are big enough and physical enough to come into the backfield and run the ball. They are also fast enough to pressure a defense downfield.

Wofford actually got pretty good at this in 2019. Their second leading receiver was D'mauriae VanCleave, who is technically listed as a running back. His ability to come across the formation and pressure defenses both running and catching made Joe Newman that much more difficult to deal with. Example:

#24827  by AstroDin
 Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:12 am
Jackal makes some great points - I'd add Kendall Thomas into the mix as a slotback too.
On film - I think it's obvious Thomas brings a lot at tailback.
 #24895  by aqualung
 Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:09 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Davemeister wrote:

Certainly not referencing anyone in particular, but I think it would be VERY interesting for someone to do a statistical correlation analysis between K/P/LS Rankings & the total Lifetime $’s spent by the Player attending each of these gurus camps / lessons / competitions.

I’ve been eyeing these entities with a (perhaps too) cynical eye for quite a few years now.

I’m sure aqualung, a renowned Kicking Coach, will have an informed opinion on this topic, most likely differing from FUBeAR’s suspicions.

Remove your greasy fingers from your shabby clothes, place them upon your keyboard & let us know how you see it from your angle on the park bench, sir.
I would not get too excited about Pankratz at this point. I would assume that he's a PWO. There is no correlation between Chris Sailer star rankings for kickers and the other recruiting services that rate other positions. This kid is rated 4 stars by Sailer which is NOT good. He's ranked 285. That means 284 are above him. In Sailer world, all 5 stars are D-1 level kickers and a handful of 4.5 stars. After that, the rest of the 4.5's are D2 and lower with of course exceptions here and there. Also, there are 115 4 star rated kickers and Pankratz is 83rd... so he's at the bottom of the 4 star class, most all of which will never see a college field at any level. For perspective, Grayson Atkins was a late bloomer. He was rated 45th by Sailer and he was rated 4.5 stars. He obviously developed into a 5 star performer very quickly at FU.

I'm not impressed with his video either. Very slim stats. Highlight reel shows weak KO's with ~3.5ish hang. Also did not kick off of the ground in HS. So not impressed if these are his highlights. Now for the upside, he looks like a big athletic kid who could be another late bloomer. He certainly could develop into a fine kicker for FU at some point in the future. I just do not think he's ready for prime time yet and I would not expect anything from him in 2020. Hopefully I'm wrong... It's happened many times before...

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.