• NET Rankings

#24689  by fufanatic
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:40 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:10 am
Just like the old RPI the Net is designed to screw everyone not in a big time conference. The NCAA does not want teams from non big boy leagues getting at large bids. This year teams from smaller conferences should be in line for more at large bids than ever before because of all the parity. Lunardi right now has only 3 ACC teams in the tourney which is laughable. Even though the ACC sucks this year .500;teams in the ACC will be in while much more deserving teams won’t. Very simple. Very obvious.
The Big Ten is very good this year, but Lunardi has 12 of 14 teams making the field. 12 of 14! That's crazy. Someone might be 8-12 in league play and 17-14 overall making the NCAAs. That's bonkers.
 #24690  by stonemd
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:09 am
When in a ‘big conference’ have 10+ chances to get a ‘quality win’. You get to play those teams at home and you will win a few.

SOCON teams only get a couple chances to get a quality win, on the road, with their refs. I think our big 3 would do fine in the P5+. All these ranking systems seem to be based on circular logic. >> your ranking is based on your success against other teams but is dependent on the ranking of those teams.
MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #24691  by furpep
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:56 am
The whole tournament is a sham! Stopped watching and caring about it years ago. NCAA is a joke and on the whole I am unimpressed with anything the NCAA touches.
 #24692  by CharlieFU
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:31 pm
furpep wrote:
The whole tournament is a sham! Stopped watching and caring about it years ago. NCAA is a joke and on the whole I am unimpressed with anything the NCAA touches.
That’s a shame. You have missed some great basketball.

Could it be better? Yes. But dang sure is fun to watch regardless of what the NCAA does with it.
Roundball, fufanatic liked this
 #24694  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:32 pm
stonemd wrote:
When in a ‘big conference’ have 10+ chances to get a ‘quality win’. You get to play those teams at home and you will win a few.

SOCON teams only get a couple chances to get a quality win, on the road, with their refs. I think our big 3 would do fine in the P5+. All these ranking systems seem to be based on circular logic. >> your ranking is based on your success against other teams but is dependent on the ranking of those teams.
Its a rigged system for sure
 #24699  by apaladin
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:17 pm
stonemd wrote:

The thing is they only have to win one or 2. They always say, they have “a” quality win and with 31 games they should have one quality win with so many chances. I see Lunardi now has 4 ACC teams in. Wanna bet it will be up to their normal 8-10 before it’s over? They are already talking about teams like Clempson and UNC getting in. :o
 #24700  by fufanatic
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:35 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:33 pm
Lunardi has Furman as a #13 Seed
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

Auburn as a #5
Winthrop as a #14

ETSU and Alabama are both listed as first four out
Pretty weak year in college basketball as a whole, and ETSU with its impressive resume is still out of the field as of today. That's a shame. Not sure what the SoCon is going to have to do to get 2 teams in the field.

Who wants a rematch with LSU in round 2? :mrgreen:
 #24701  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:06 pm
fufanatic wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Auburn as a #5
Winthrop as a #14

Pretty weak year in college basketball as a whole, and ETSU with its impressive resume is still out of the field as of today. That's a shame. Not sure what the SoCon is going to have to do to get 2 teams in the field.

For sure LSU we owe them ;) Or if Auburn can get to the 4 seed
And give me Kanasa in the sweet 16 I hear we have been looking pretty good in our martial arts training of late :D
 #24711  by Affirm
 Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:52 am
fufanatic wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Auburn as a #5
Winthrop as a #14

Let’s focus on getting to Round 1, then 2.
 #24712  by Affirm
 Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:55 am
furpep wrote:
The sham part may be right. But still we care, and still we strive.
 #24714  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:35 am
affirm wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:59 am
DungeonRealm wrote:

Auburn as a #5
Winthrop as a #14

Alabama. USF.
Regret we were not able to beat both. No looking back, though.
Just looking at the game we are in, then the next one.
Agree. WC and VMI are the worst team performances so far but Alabama and USF are right behind. USF could be the most disappointing. Absolutely should have been a W.
 #24839  by FurmAlum
 Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:12 pm
We're 83 in the Net. I'm having a hard time believing there are 82 teams better than FU. On a positive note, we are ranked higher than 5 ACC and 3 SEC teams.

Just to illustrate the unfairness of that ranking system, ETSU beat LSU at LSU and the Tigers are 22 and the Bucs 53. Too big a spread. And we beat ETSU.

UNCG beat Georgetown on the road too, and G-town is 48, and UNCG 71.

Shewed way too much in favor of P5. All of us know that. Just had to vent. SoCon deserves two teams in this year.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:32 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Bothwell

by PeterGrif

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:19 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.