• What do you think?

#24801  by Monday
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:25 pm
Provided every current non-senior stays, we should be preseason conference favorites next year.
 #24802  by paladinfan12
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:28 pm
Agreed. The only one who might move on is Mounce. I bet that dude could get a sweet gig on a larger team and get his grad degree. Might even have a chance to get drafted.
 #24803  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:56 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Agreed. The only one who might move on is Mounce. I bet that dude could get a sweet gig on a larger team and get his grad degree. Might even have a chance to get drafted.
Would completely defeat the purpose of us red-shirting guys if this type thing happened

Mounce will be back, he is a Paladin!
FUKA61, FurmAlum liked this
 #24809  by paladinfan12
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:34 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
Would completely defeat the purpose of us red-shirting guys if this type thing happened

I'd love to have Mounce back too, but if you remember him as a freshman, there was no way he was physically ready to play college ball when he arrived. That year he had in the weight room had to happen. It also wasn't Clay's decision to redshirt, and he's given Furman everything he promised: 4 solid years and earned a degree.

When kids graduate and go on to do big things (like play basketball for a premier college program) we should be happy for them. If any of our kids have a shot at the NBA, a season playing in the ACC would do wonders for their draft stock compared to playing in the SoCon.
 #24810  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:52 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

I'd love to have Mounce back too, but if you remember him as a freshman, there was no way he was physically ready to play college ball when he arrived. That year he had in the weight room had to happen. It also wasn't Clay's decision to redshirt, and he's given Furman everything he promised: 4 solid years and earned a degree.

When kids graduate and go on to do big things (like play basketball for a premier college program) we should be happy for them. If any of our kids have a shot at the NBA, a season playing in the ACC would do wonders for their draft stock compared to playing in the SoCon.

To me Furman is a premier college program, no way could I as a fan of Furman Basketball and wanting to see us succeed at the highest level be happy about one of our players going to play for another program. Honestly its dumb to suggest we should be happy to see one of our better players in another college teams uniform lol. But hey you're the guy that said you don't care if we have any students at the SoCon tournament so you are not all that committed of a Furman fan anyways I guess. Screw all the teams in the ACC

Next year can be huge, its a year that we have been building towards for a long long time, to be loaded.
For example this year we could probably use a little more depth, and maybe one of the 2 guys we are redshirting could help us, but we decided to reshirt them. If guys are going to just jump ship on us because they develop into nice players then we may as well just stop redshirting players.
Jasper, FurmAlum liked this
 #24812  by Furmanoid
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:50 pm
DungeonRealm, just answering your question, NWMS lost by 6 at Duke. Bellarmine lost by 10 at Louisville. Don’t know if 10 is “hanging”, but Louisville is pretty decent. Indianapolis ( not highly ranked) beat Loyolla Illinois ( not a great team). As I said earlier the local team here beat the Gamecocks last year but that wasn’t really surprising. I’m sure this is all stupid and misleading or something, but you asked.
Jasper liked this
 #24813  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:12 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:50 pm
DungeonRealm, just answering your question, NWMS lost by 6 at Duke. Bellarmine lost by 10 at Louisville. Don’t know if 10 is “hanging”, but Louisville is pretty decent. Indianapolis ( not highly ranked) beat Loyolla Illinois ( not a great team). As I said earlier the local team here beat the Gamecocks last year but that wasn’t really surprising. I’m sure this is all stupid and misleading or something, but you asked.

Those are Scrimmages yes? Is that the best you can come up with though? If so my point stands
 #24814  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:32 pm
Honestly we just need a game to talk about lol, ready for Wednesday
furpop16 liked this
 #24815  by Affirm
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

To me Furman is a premier college program, no way could I as a fan of Furman Basketball and wanting to see us succeed at the highest level be happy about one of our players going to play for another program. Honestly its dumb to suggest we should be happy to see one of our better players in another college teams uniform lol. But hey you're the guy that said you don't care if we have any students at the SoCon tournament so you are not all that committed of a Furman fan anyways I guess. Screw all the teams in the ACC

Next year can be huge, its a year that we have been building towards for a long long time, to be loaded.
For example this year we could probably use a little more depth, and maybe one of the 2 guys we are redshirting could help us, but we decided to reshirt them. If guys are going to just jump ship on us because they develop into nice players then we may as well just stop redshirting players.
Define premier college basketball program.
Define huge, in “next year can be huge”.
 #24816  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:43 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

Define premier college basketball program.
Define huge, in “next year can be huge”.

Premier hoops program = Simply put, the program I care about the most (Its common sense - I have ZERO interest in seeing our best players play for any other school, we need EVERYBODY to rise)

Huge next year = Upside of 30 wins and NCAA tourney team (Breaking our 40 year absence)(Also Top 25 potential)
 #24818  by FurmAlum
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:52 pm
I don't like the idea of Mounce going to another school next year either, and I don't think it would help him anyway. The NBA has scouts and they know where the good players are. He would be better off sticking with the Paladins. Larry Bird played for a Mid-Major and he did O.K.

The following story illustrates the point even though it is from a different era. I grew up in N.C. Just before Christmas in 1966 when I was 12 years old, we were visiting my grandparents in Winston-Salem and my father told me we were going to go see the best player in college basketball that evening, but he didn't say where or who. I figured we were going to go over to Chapel Hill to watch Tar Heel star Larry Miller. Instead, he took me over to Winston-Salem State, and when we got there he said we might be the only white fans there. That player was Earl "The Pearl" Monroe. We weren't and he was!

W-S State would go on to win the DII national championship in the spring of '67 with Monroe averaging 42 pts. per game.
furpop16 and 1 others liked this
 #24820  by Jasper
 Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:51 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:52 pm
I don't like the idea of Mounce going to another school next year either, and I don't think it would help him anyway. The NBA has scouts and they know where the good players are. He would be better off sticking with the Paladins. Larry Bird played for a Mid-Major and he did O.K.

The following story illustrates the point even though it is from a different era. I grew up in N.C. Just before Christmas in 1966 when I was 12 years old, we were visiting my grandparents in Winston-Salem and my father told me we were going to go see the best player in college basketball that evening, but he didn't say where or who. I figured we were going to go over to Chapel Hill to watch Tar Heel star Larry Miller. Instead, he took me over to Winston-Salem State, and when we got there he said we might be the only white fans there. That player was Earl "The Pearl" Monroe. We weren't and he was!

W-S State would go on to win the DII national championship in the spring of '67 with Monroe averaging 42 pts. per game.
That’s a great story....and the NBA didn’t miss the Pearl because he wasn’t at a big school. As a matter of fact, they didn’t miss some of his teammates either. Willis Reed from Pan Am U, Dave DeBusschere from U of Detroit or Walt Frazier from Southern Illinois U either. If a guy can really play, it doesn’t mean jackshit where he played in college.
FUKA61 and 1 others liked this
 #24823  by Roundball
 Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:15 am
This discussion has been hijacked by a stupid post. Back to the original thoughtful question, the answer is, we have overachieved.
MNORM, fufanatic liked this
 #24825  by paladinfan12
 Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:45 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

I love your optimism, and we both want the same things for Furman baskebtall: Furman to be elite in basketball, elite players coming to Furman, developing good players to play professionally, large fan bases at all of our games (both home and away), and an AWESOME turnout at the SoCon basketball tournament. I went to 40+ games as a student and every SoCon tournament. If we had the team we have now back when I was a student those games would've been tons more fun. I wouldn't be so active on this forum if I didn't love Furman baskeball. I've watched nearly ever game!

BUT Furman's primary goal has to be focused on the development of our students. I love Coach Richey's motto "Further the Man". It's exactly where the value of the program needs to be. At the end of the day we want our student athletes prepared to take on life's biggest challenges. Large fan bases will not do that much to further the man. Keeping a kid who has already graduated enrolled at a school built for an undergraduate experience does not further the man. At the end of the day we need to prioritize what is best for our students.
 #24828  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:22 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:45 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

I love your optimism, and we both want the same things for Furman baskebtall: Furman to be elite in basketball, elite players coming to Furman, developing good players to play professionally, large fan bases at all of our games (both home and away), and an AWESOME turnout at the SoCon basketball tournament. I went to 40+ games as a student and every SoCon tournament. If we had the team we have now back when I was a student those games would've been tons more fun. I wouldn't be so active on this forum if I didn't love Furman baskeball. I've watched nearly ever game!

BUT Furman's primary goal has to be focused on the development of our students. I love Coach Richey's motto "Further the Man". It's exactly where the value of the program needs to be. At the end of the day we want our student athletes prepared to take on life's biggest challenges. Large fan bases will not do that much to further the man. Keeping a kid who has already graduated enrolled at a school built for an undergraduate experience does not further the man. At the end of the day we need to prioritize what is best for our students.

Not until we break this NCAA curse first lol :lol:

Seriously though, if we were to lose a player like Mounce it proves we should not bother red-shirting guys

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:32 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Bothwell

by PeterGrif

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:19 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.