• NET Rankings

#24647  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:33 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:37 am
Huge 13 spot drop to 92. Not surprised. We need the other top teams in the league to keep winning for us to move back up. https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings
Something always going against us in the NET over the power leagues is the fact that we have 3 wins that don't give us any credit, wish scheduling was made more fair for schools like FU but that's just always going to be a major factor against any smaller conference that has teams needing to schedule Non-DI teams in order to get some OOC home games
hypercycloid liked this
 #24653  by tya1
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:52 pm
Roundball wrote:
Huge 13 spot drop to 92. Not surprised. We need the other top teams in the league to keep winning for us to move back up. https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings
We didn't drop because we lost, we dropped because we won a very close game against a team we were favored to beat by 20 points. Margin of victory is big in ratings that make margin the prime factor. Pomeroy ratings don't even consider whether you win or lose. It is point based.

Wins and losses matter the most in a ratings system like the RPI. Some systems consider margin and W/L.

It doesn't matter what the other teams in the league did. It is conference play. Every game has a conference team win and another lose.
 #24655  by Roundball
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:57 pm
tya1 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:52 pm
Roundball wrote:
We didn't drop because we lost, we dropped because we won a very close game against a team we were favored to beat by 20 points. Margin of victory is big in ratings that make margin the prime factor. Pomeroy ratings don't even consider whether you win or lose. It is point based.

Wins and losses matter the most in a ratings system like the RPI. Some systems consider margin and W/L.

It doesn't matter what the other teams in the league did. It is conference play. Every game has a conference team win and another lose.
It absolutely does matter what the other teams do. It matters what quadrent the teams we might beat are in.
 #24658  by apaladin
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:16 pm
Correct, we made pretty good jumps by beating teams with bad records handily. When you squeak by one of those you are going to take a big hit which we did. We prolly would have not fallen any farther if we had lost.
 #24661  by Roundball
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:55 pm
apaladin wrote:
Correct, we made pretty good jumps by beating teams with bad records handily. When you squeak by one of those you are going to take a big hit which we did. We prolly would have not fallen any farther if we had lost.
You made my point. It would have been more beneficial for us to play and beat a higher ranked ETSU. Our win over them was diminished by their loss last night and their drop in the NET. The results of other teams in the SoCon matter a lot.
 #24663  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:13 pm
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
You made my point. It would have been more beneficial for us to play and beat a higher ranked ETSU. Our win over them was diminished by their loss last night and their drop in the NET. The results of other teams in the SoCon matter a lot.
Are you saying that on the basis of us trying to get an NCAA at-large bid?
The likelihood of us winning at ETSU and also getting an at large to the NCAA is incredibly slim.
Since we did not pick up any OOC Power wins the NCAA will do us no favors.

I am hoping UNCG and ETSU lose as many games as possible, we need that #1 seed
 #24666  by Roundball
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:17 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The likelihood of us winning at ETSU and also getting an at large to the NCAA is incredibly slim.

I am only responding to someone that said how the other teams are ranked in the NET does not matter. If we care about our NET ranking, we should hope teams we play and beat are ranked higher than us. Otherwise, there is absolutely no need to further discuss our ranking. I don’t agree with this thinking, but some on this board evidently think we should give up on our ranking and the regular season and hope we win the tournament. I’m for playing the best, beating them and winning the regular season. I want us to get to the point that we are already in the Big Dance before the SoCon tourney begins. We are headed in that direction with BR as our head coach.
 #24667  by fufanatic
DungeonRealm wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I think this is right. If we had beaten Auburn and one of USF, Alabama, UNCG or Wofford putting us at 20-3, we would have had an at-large shot and I would have cared much more about how the rest of the SoCon elite did game-to-game. But we didn't, so I think that chance is out the door. At this point, I care about winning the SoCon regular season, getting the 1 seed and winning the tourney. To hell with everyone else.
 #24668  by furpop16
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:32 pm
fufanatic wrote:
I think this is right. If we had beaten Auburn and one of USF, Alabama, UNCG or Wofford putting us at 20-3, we would have had an at-large shot and I would have cared much more about how the rest of the SoCon elite did game-to-game. But we didn't, so I think that chance is out the door. At this point, I care about winning the SoCon regular season, getting the 1 seed and winning the tourney. To hell with everyone else.
Coach pointed out that this team, as of the 1st half of the conference season yesterday morning, had a better W-L record and better KenPom ranking that last year's team at the same point in the schedule. If we narrowly missed an at-large bid on Selection Sunday 2019, how can we say we're already out of the running for 2020?
 #24669  by edwards555
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:43 pm
For all of you NET users the graphics on Net Ranking 2020 College Basketball-Warren Nolan.com are really good. Last year the committee jumped all over the place with seedings and selections of teams-they called it observation which is code to select power conferences so they can get most of the money. However, for the NIT they almost followed the NET for their selections etc.
Looking today at the NET Nitty you would need to be in the top 48 to get an at-large bid and at 83 to receive an NIT bid. This number is before they add the conference champions who lose in their conference tournaments who automatically are in the NIT. Right now this is half the conferences. So generally you need to be ranked between 73-77 to make the NIT.
 #24672  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:56 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:32 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Coach pointed out that this team, as of the 1st half of the conference season yesterday morning, had a better W-L record and better KenPom ranking that last year's team at the same point in the schedule. If we narrowly missed an at-large bid on Selection Sunday 2019, how can we say we're already out of the running for 2020?

Because last year we were 12-1 OOC with a win at Villanova and only loss at LSU

Maybe we get some consideration if we win out our next 10 games and lose the SoCon title game, at 28-6 we would have a case, but look at UNCG last year, since we can't beat our chest and say we beat any of the big boys the NCAA is not going to do us any favors
fufanatic liked this
 #24675  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:29 pm
A funny thing in the NET, Arizona is 13-6 and rated #11 in NET, their road record for the season is 0-4 lol
 #24678  by apaladin
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:10 am
Just like the old RPI the Net is designed to screw everyone not in a big time conference. The NCAA does not want teams from non big boy leagues getting at large bids. This year teams from smaller conferences should be in line for more at large bids than ever before because of all the parity. Lunardi right now has only 3 ACC teams in the tourney which is laughable. Even though the ACC sucks this year .500;teams in the ACC will be in while much more deserving teams won’t. Very simple. Very obvious.
 #24679  by furpop16
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:49 am
edwards555 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:43 pm
For all of you NET users the graphics on Net Ranking 2020 College Basketball-Warren Nolan.com are really good.

Thank you, @edwards555, indeed the website https://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/net is a lot of fun. I particularly enjoyed the NET conference rankings: https://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/conferencenet , which confirms what we've known all along, the SoCon is in impressive mid-major company.

Recent Topics

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:40 pm

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:32 pm

Default Avatar Bothwell

by PeterGrif

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:19 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.