• Woffy at Furman (BSW) - February 22

#24644  by MidlandsPaladin
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:32 am
I know "one game at a time" and "don't look too far ahead" and all that, but we have an off day on Saturday so we can look down the road a bit. Besides, although Woffy may not be in the forefront of our minds, they should be in the back of the minds of every FU player and fan because WE SHOULD BE TIRED OF LOSING TO THEM. Anyone who has watched us both play common opponents can clearly see that Furman is the better team and it is time to show it on February 22 in the Well.

Their fans are talking on their board about how this will be a neutral court game and they are already counting it as a win. We need to make sure that doesn't happen. My tickets are purchased and I'll be there - how about you?!?
FUKA61, fufanatic and 1 others liked this
 #24646  by Flagman
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:11 pm
I know that many like playing the games in the downtown arena and I believe they have achieved some of the goals for which the concept was conceived. However, I believe we lose a lot of the intimacy that Timmons provides. Students at Timmons are literally feet from the floor, while downtown they are way behind the basket and on floor level (no risers). The season ticket holders are on the side behind the benches and scorers table and are even further removed from their proximity to the floor tan at Timmons. The vastness of the space also dampens any effect that fan noise might have. We can make these games work, but some reconfiguration of the seating, especially student seating, must be done.
HammerTKE, MNORM liked this
 #24649  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:39 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:11 pm
I know that many like playing the games in the downtown arena and I believe they have achieved some of the goals for which the concept was conceived. However, I believe we lose a lot of the intimacy that Timmons provides. Students at Timmons are literally feet from the floor, while downtown they are way behind the basket and on floor level (no risers). The season ticket holders are on the side behind the benches and scorers table and are even further removed from their proximity to the floor tan at Timmons. The vastness of the space also dampens any effect that fan noise might have. We can make these games work, but some reconfiguration of the seating, especially student seating, must be done.

I disagree, I think the students filling the baselines makes the absolute most sense, for the Wofford game our students will completely fill it up and it will look cool on both sides.
Playing downtown allows us the chance to get a huge crowd for the Wofford game, bring a recruit in and that just might be enough to impress a high rated player we might not normally land, BSWA will be a big tool for us moving forward for our bigger games (ie. Wofford, ETSU, Power 5)!
 #24651  by Flagman
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:46 pm
I don't disagree with the students being along the baselines. They just need to be elevated. The seats in the bowl of the arena at both ends are too far from the court to be of any use for fan involvement.
 #24652  by MidlandsPaladin
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:51 pm
I'm good with games at the Well, but it should be limited to a) games against larger schools that we can't get to come to Timmons (Auburn, USC, etc); b) nonconference games; and c) games not against conference rivals or favorites. Let's play ETSU, UNCG, Wofford, and citadel at Timmons.

My $0.02.
purplehorse liked this
 #24654  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:56 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:51 pm
I'm good with games at the Well, but it should be limited to a) games against larger schools that we can't get to come to Timmons (Auburn, USC, etc); b) nonconference games; and c) games not against conference rivals or favorites. Let's play ETSU, UNCG, Wofford, and citadel at Timmons.

My $0.02.
For sure on the Power teams, would be our only chance to lure one in this day and age.
If we can pull 4,600 vs. UNCG I gotta think we can pull upwards of 6k for Wofford, that's a great way to build the fan base in the Greenville community, lets see how we feel about plaging Woff there until after we see how this first one goes though.
 #24671  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:47 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:03 pm
Wonder what the turnout would be for FU v. Clemson at the Well.
Good question that I think we won't get the chance to find out, Bob Richey has said USC and Clemson won't play us anywhere (ie. they are scared)
 #24854  by fupaladin01
 Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:52 pm
I understand there is a cross-promotion event in conjunction with the Greenville Drive where Drive season ticket holders can get 2 free tickets to the Furman/Wofford game as well as some food vouchers. Since we already work closely with the Drive, I think this is a great way to try to get local sports fans out to experience FU basketball. Great job by Jason Donnelly. This guy continues to impress.
 #24855  by tim
 Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:58 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:52 pm
I understand there is a cross-promotion event in conjunction with the Greenville Drive where Drive season ticket holders can get 2 free tickets to the Furman/Wofford game as well as some food vouchers. Since we already work closely with the Drive, I think this is a great way to try to get local sports fans out to experience FU basketball. Great job by Jason Donnelly. This guy continues to impress.
Agreed, and the Drive continues to impress me with what they have done with a low level class A franchise and no parking
 #24856  by Roundball
 Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:37 pm
It’s too bad the powers to be at Furman refuse to change the date of the Furman Ball. A later tip-off time would have brought in more fans for the game. This is an issue every year.
 #24872  by Flagman
 Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:49 pm
With a noon start, fans will still be able to make the Ball. What’s the problem?
 #24886  by Roundball
 Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:59 am
Flagman wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:49 pm
With a noon start, fans will still be able to make the Ball. What’s the problem?
We would get more students and fans there at a later start. This is an annual problem. I remember several years in a row that we had a home game at the same time as the Ball. Just last year, we played at 4:00 or 5:00. The gentleman that sat behind me was going to be recognized at the Ball for his lifetime support of Furman. He had already decided his priority was to be at the basketball game, not the Ball. If you remember, he died that week and was recognized at the game. The Ball date needs to be changed when we have a home game. Priorities.

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:24 pm

Default Avatar Bothwell

by PeterGrif

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:19 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by bj93

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.