• Preseason CFP Poll

#2392  by Purpleglasses
 Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:15 am
#20...question is...
How far do we fall after Clemson?
but after a W against Elon, it should be a quick rebound. Hopefully...
 #2393  by Flagman
 Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:04 am
No fall after Clemson. I would anticipate moving up after beating the tiggers.
paladinfan12, palafan, furman88 and 1 others liked this
 #2394  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:27 am
We won't. It is almost always understood by poll voters that you do not dock an FCS team for losing to an FBS program, and most certainly not one that is the caliber of Clemson.

The good news for Furman is there will be ample chances to vault up the polls. We have a solid schedule chocked full of ranked teams. Even Colgate will likely be right outside the top 25 and would have a chance to vault up the rankings if they beat the usually overrated New Hampshire in week 2.
 #2398  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:30 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:04 am
No fall after Clemson. I would anticipate moving up after beating the tiggers.
 #2400  by apaladin
 Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
We won't. It is almost always understood by poll voters that you do not dock an FCS team for losing to an FBS program, and most certainly not one that is the caliber of Clemson.

The good news for Furman is there will be ample chances to vault up the polls. We have a solid schedule chocked full of ranked teams. Even Colgate will likely be right outside the top 25 and would have a chance to vault up the rankings if they beat the usually overrated New Hampshire in week 2.
What Jackal said. Don't see how you can ding an FCS team for losing to the number one FBS team. Losing to some FBS teams could be detrimental.
 #2406  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:43 am
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

What Jackal said. Don't see how you can ding an FCS team for losing to the number one FBS team. Losing to some FBS teams could be detrimental.
Clemson is #1? Is Alabama not playing football this year?
Riz Dawg liked this
 #2408  by MNORM
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:53 am
gman wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:55 pm
I cannot find an official preseason poll.
Any Given Saturday poll will be released in a week...that's the most accurate out there.
 #2409  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:39 am
Also, the polling in the FCS really isn't as critical as it is in the FBS. We crown a champion based on winning games, not a beauty contest.

Furman is in a good spot. They aren't so high that the target will squarely be on their back each week, but plenty of room to move up and stay safely within the range of teams that will be considered for the post season.
paladinfan12, dornb liked this
 #2410  by fufanatic
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:17 am
The Jackal wrote:
Also, the polling in the FCS really isn't as critical as it is in the FBS. We crown a champion based on winning games, not a beauty contest.

Furman is in a good spot. They aren't so high that the target will squarely be on their back each week, but plenty of room to move up and stay safely within the range of teams that will be considered for the post season.
True, but as we've seen in previous years, being ranked in the preseason can help you immensely throughout the season remain in the polls if you're struggling or rise quicker if you're winning. It also seems to have a bigger than it should be impact on playoff teams. I'm certainly glad we are back in the polls to start the year for those very reasons, but two quick losses could put us on the outside looking in for several weeks afterwards.
 #2412  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:51 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:17 am
The Jackal wrote:

True, but as we've seen in previous years, being ranked in the preseason can help you immensely throughout the season remain in the polls if you're struggling or rise quicker if you're winning. It also seems to have a bigger than it should be impact on playoff teams. I'm certainly glad we are back in the polls to start the year for those very reasons, but two quick losses could put us on the outside looking in for several weeks afterwards.

Right. I'd feel differently if we were not ranked. It is much hard to climb the polls than fall from them.

The way Furman's schedule sets up, we have a good chance at playing a bunch of ranked teams:

- Almost assuredly Samford and Elon will be ranked when we face them. Clemson, as well, of course.
- Colgate is probably going to start just outside the top 25, but may finish the season there and would likely be a top 25 team if they beat UNH in week 2. We see them week 3.
- While I don't think Wofford will be as good this year, they start off ranked 11th and don't exactly have a terrifying slate prior to facing Furman (CIt, VMI, Wyo, GWU, UTC). I don't think they'll lose enough of those games to fall out of the rankings by the time they play Furman.
- WCU is another borderline top 25 team that plays a downy soft schedule (Newberry, bye, GWU, VMI) before facing us. They may well be a top 25 team by virtue of being on the bubble and 3-0.

Long story short, Furman will have plenty of opportunities to beat good teams this year.
fufanatic liked this
 #2423  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:25 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:43 am
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Clemson is #1? Is Alabama not playing football this year?
Yes Clempson is pre-season #1 in several polls/lists including ESPN's power index. If you want to say Alabama is number 1, I won't argue that. :)