• We played SOFT

#24175  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:13 am
3s are sort of addictive. They cover up other issues. You can play a bad game but still win if a few 3s all of a sudden fall in. You can play close against much better teams if some threes fall in when you need them. An individual can be pegged as a superstar if he has one or two freakish nights with the threes. And if your schedule is really weak your normal not good 3 nights are still good enough most of the time. When you lose against a bad team, you just say your shooting was off (even when it was the norm) and you vow to shoot your way out of the slump. You can end up looking pretty ok, but even making it to the NCAA tourney will always be a crap shoot even in good years. Unless you get better shooters and there are tons of them out there.
 #24177  by fufanatic
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:43 am
I understand the frustration, but this thread was tough to read. I’ll say that I agree with everything Scott Keeler said in his postgame article and that I agree with BR’s quotes. He seems to be taking the loss appropriately and fully expect the team to bounce back in a big way. I kinda thought we would lose that game (although I wanted a thriller on national TV), but see no reason why we can’t win the next four games heading to Western in Feb, at which point we would be 19-5. I’m worried about our rotation heading into a tourney where you play several days in a row. Gurley needs more than 9 shots a game and Bothwell is the best pure scorer we have. He needs 15 shots a game and he could average 25+ points a game in future years.
MNORM liked this
 #24185  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:08 pm
I have never heard CBR as down as he was last night on the postgame. First thing he said was "The good thing is we can't play any worse". He did say they would bounce back but he didn't say it with his normal entusiastic way, he said in a more I hope way instead of I have no doubt we will. This team team was given a golden, first time opportunity last night. We laid the biggest egg since the program turned around. It would be one thing if we just ran into a buzz saw and WC just played great. We didn't WC was very mediocre last night and we couldn't even complete and was never in the game. For me personaaly I had people that never watch FU basketball tuning in to see what all the hype was about and now I wish I had kept quiet. Our offense is so stagnant. We just pass around the 3 point line until someone has to shoot. There was no movement and cutting to the basket. It was all one on one stuff. Our big men are more concerned about shooting 3's than rebounding and getting good position. Several times last night after they missed 3's we had no big men underneath. They played 4 guards and we got outrebounded. Bothwell was our leading rebounder last night. FU really had a never befroe opportunity last night and struggled miserably against a mediocre team. I have said all year we are not a good man to man team. We get a lot one on one with drives to the basket and there is no help. I would love to see us play different zone defenses such as a 3-2 but that will never happen. I hope they can but it will be very hard to get this one out of their system and bounce back.
 #24188  by furpop16
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:36 pm
The game was on right about quittin' time here in LA, so I recorded it because we had a big farewell for a fellow right after work. I checked-in quickly when I could but the mounting frustration and disappointment was only offset by the cutie tending bar. Of course, I'd cleared my calendar of honey-do's this morning in anticipation of reveling in the national TV recording (all day yesterday I'd wondered how many times I'd be rewatching that recording).

I just deleted the damned thing without ever queuing it up.
 #24190  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:52 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:36 pm
The game was on right about quittin' time here in LA, so I recorded it because we had a big farewell for a fellow right after work. I checked-in quickly when I could but the mounting frustration and disappointment was only offset by the cutie tending bar. Of course, I'd cleared my calendar of honey-do's this morning in anticipation of reveling in the national TV recording (all day yesterday I'd wondered how many times I'd be rewatching that recording).

I just deleted the damned thing without ever queuing it up.
That was a very good move. No sense in punishing yourself and getting your BP up. :D
furpop16 liked this
 #24193  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:31 pm
To pile on a little more in case you missed it. :D First half last night was the lowest scoring half of the year. The total of 52 was the lowest scoring game of the year and a cool 26 points under the aversage.
 #24194  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:43 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:43 am
I understand the frustration, but this thread was tough to read. I’ll say that I agree with everything Scott Keeler said in his postgame article and that I agree with BR’s quotes. He seems to be taking the loss appropriately and fully expect the team to bounce back in a big way. I kinda thought we would lose that game (although I wanted a thriller on national TV), but see no reason why we can’t win the next four games heading to Western in Feb, at which point we would be 19-5. I’m worried about our rotation heading into a tourney where you play several days in a row. Gurley needs more than 9 shots a game and Bothwell is the best pure scorer we have. He needs 15 shots a game and he could average 25+ points a game in future years.
Agree. Like others have said you have to wonder if the short bench is beginning to take it's toll. We could win the next 4 but I think if we play like we did last night we will go 0-4. I think maybe 3-1 is more realistic with the most likely loss coming at Citadel.
 #24202  by stonemd
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:22 pm
Tre Clark last year 10/34 from 3 for 29%

I'm rewatching the ETSU game to get over last night

Go Dins
 #24205  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:04 pm
The women blew one today. Had a 5 point lead with 5:44 to go and didn't score again and got outscored 13-0. When will coaches learn you can't freeze 5-6 minutes off the clock?
 #24393  by Fork457
 Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:54 am
Jasper wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:23 pm
It looked like a total choke to me. It seems to be what Furman teams do when they meet Wofford. The beginning of the game was a farce. 5 minutes into the game we had not scored and that was pretty much all she wrote. Less than 20 points in a half and totally outplayed in all aspects. No coaching adjustments discernible. Furman needs to make some personnel changes if there is to be any chance in the tournament. They are obvious. Right now, we are not nearly as good as advertised. This game was disappointing on several levels and no amount of fan rationalization can change that. It is sure to come however. It always does.
I just got on this website and the amount of people questioning and 2nd guessing Bob Richey is truly astonishing to me. In 3 years this man has brought this program so far and anyone in the college basketball world can see that we are on the rise and he is going to be a star. It’s hilarious to me that 1 game can make people question everything. “No discernible coaching changes” We went 1-3-1 midway through the first half? I’m very curious. What personell changes are absolutely necessary to win the tournament? Keep in mind that same personell we’ve had took auburn to overtime, was up on Alabama in the 2nd half and beat ETSU
Flagman, FUKA61, Horse and 1 others liked this
 #24397  by Flagman
 Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:22 pm
Fork457 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:54 am
Jasper wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:23 pm
It looked like a total choke to me. It seems to be what Furman teams do when they meet Wofford. The beginning of the game was a farce. 5 minutes into the game we had not scored and that was pretty much all she wrote. Less than 20 points in a half and totally outplayed in all aspects. No coaching adjustments discernible. Furman needs to make some personnel changes if there is to be any chance in the tournament. They are obvious. Right now, we are not nearly as good as advertised. This game was disappointing on several levels and no amount of fan rationalization can change that. It is sure to come however. It always does.
I just got on this website and the amount of people questioning and 2nd guessing Bob Richey is truly astonishing to me. In 3 years this man has brought this program so far and anyone in the college basketball world can see that we are on the rise and he is going to be a star. It’s hilarious to me that 1 game can make people question everything. “No discernible coaching changes” We went 1-3-1 midway through the first half? I’m very curious. What personell changes are absolutely necessary to win the tournament? Keep in mind that same personell we’ve had took auburn to overtime, was up on Alabama in the 2nd half and beat ETSU
I only wish I could give you 10 "likes: for this post.

Welcome to the UFFP.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by AllTimeFU

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:20 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.