• We played SOFT

#24039  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:59 pm
"Friday's nationally televised game will mark the 143rd all-time meeting between Furman and Wofford with the Paladins holding an 86-56 series lead."
 #24040  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:03 pm
tya1 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:19 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:29 pm
Single game tickets for Paladins home date with Wofford in downtown Greenville on Sat. Feb. 22nd are now on sale:
https://www1.ticketmaster.com/furman-pa ... 3E28649B39

That game should draw one of the largest home crowds in FU basketball history

Anyone know the top 5 largest crowds?
We had a game or two back in the late 60's and 70's with sellouts at Memorial Auditorium listed at slightly over 6,000 when we played Clemson or South Carolina. Some other sellouts in the Auditorium, too. The DePaul game in 1982? was another. The attendance max varied depending on how the seating was set up and what the fire marshall allowed.

I think the attendance was over 10,000 for the semi-finals of the SoCon tourney in 2000 when we played App. State in our game and CofC played Wofford in the other game. I don't know that we can count that since there were 2 games.

The attendance was around 14,000 in the first college game played in the "Well" or" BiLo Center" (as it was then) when we played Clemson. Technically, that might have listed a Clemson home game.
Besides our Friday game there are a couple of very interesting games Saturday night. ETSU visits WCU and UTC Visits UNCG.
Very interesting matchups, indeed. I think UNCG's athleticism at guard and shot blocking in the middle will be a challenge for Chattanooga.

That was one of the things I was trying to remember as well, (was that Clemson game considered our home game or theirs?)
If we drew 4,646 for UNCG its certainly possible to see us getting 6k or 7k for the Wofford game if we continue to have a great season.
 #24041  by cavedweller2
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:59 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:03 pm
tya1 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:19 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:29 pm
Single game tickets for Paladins home date with Wofford in downtown Greenville on Sat. Feb. 22nd are now on sale:
https://www1.ticketmaster.com/furman-pa ... 3E28649B39

That game should draw one of the largest home crowds in FU basketball history

Anyone know the top 5 largest crowds?
We had a game or two back in the late 60's and 70's with sellouts at Memorial Auditorium listed at slightly over 6,000 when we played Clemson or South Carolina. Some other sellouts in the Auditorium, too. The DePaul game in 1982? was another. The attendance max varied depending on how the seating was set up and what the fire marshall allowed.

I think the attendance was over 10,000 for the semi-finals of the SoCon tourney in 2000 when we played App. State in our game and CofC played Wofford in the other game. I don't know that we can count that since there were 2 games.

The attendance was around 14,000 in the first college game played in the "Well" or" BiLo Center" (as it was then) when we played Clemson. Technically, that might have listed a Clemson home game.
Besides our Friday game there are a couple of very interesting games Saturday night. ETSU visits WCU and UTC Visits UNCG.
Very interesting matchups, indeed. I think UNCG's athleticism at guard and shot blocking in the middle will be a challenge for Chattanooga.

That was one of the things I was trying to remember as well, (was that Clemson game considered our home game or theirs?)
If we drew 4,646 for UNCG its certainly possible to see us getting 6k or 7k for the Wofford game if we continue to have a great season.
I would hazard to guess that there were many a crowd at the Brown Box during the 70's that would have overflowed Timmons as currently configured. Saw it several times at standing room only pandemonium. South Carolina 1970, DePaul, Davidson games in general, Pickens College. Texas A&M came into the Poinsettia Classic with a 7' tall center one year so that brought out people who went to that more to see the tall guy than to watch basketball.
QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #24042  by cavedweller2
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:01 pm
DPLOT

And the smell of the popcorn when you walked in the doors.
QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #24051  by apaladin
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:16 am
To tell you the truth i don't remember many games at the brown box that wouldn't overflow Timmons but I could be delusional. :shock:
 #24052  by apaladin
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:20 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:59 pm
"Friday's nationally televised game will mark the 143rd all-time meeting between Furman and Wofford with the Paladins holding an 86-56 series lead."
Thats a little misleading since a lot of those h=games were when WC was NAIA and D2. i would think WC is ahead since they join D1. They have owned us the last 10 years. The laat 14 seasons we are 9-20 aginst them.
 #24063  by fufanatic
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 am
Huge game tonight. Very excited to watch it on national TV for a change. When's the last time we had a national TV game? I guess the SoCon finals against Wofford in 2015?
 #24064  by Roundball
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 am
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 am
Huge game tonight. Very excited to watch it on national TV for a change. When's the last time we had a national TV game? I guess the SoCon finals against Wofford in 2015?
The game last year against Villanova was nationally televised on FS2. It looks like ESPNU is televising several low to mid-major games this week, including Charleston Southern at Campbell. Good for ESPN for doing this.
MNORM, fufanatic liked this
 #24068  by Jasper
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:38 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:55 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:16 pm
KenPom forecasts a 3 pt FU win 72-69, and the Vegas lines are usually right on top of the KenPom #s.....

Good call!

Vegas has opened with Furman favored by 3
https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-ba ... las-vegas/
I am going to give the 3. I think the only way Wofford makes it close is if they shoot lites out from 3. We will dominate them on the boards and inside in general. I look for Gurley to have a big game as well as Bothwell. If Jordan Lyons is hot, we blow them out.
furpop16 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.