• 2020 commitments

#23897  by gofurman
 Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:51 am
It has been interesting to watch this coaching staff's almost laser-like focus on recruiting defensive backs.

I really like what Furman is doing here. You can build an excellent defense around physical defensive backs with good ball skills. Needing less help downfield, a defense can free up more defenders to attack the run.
Jackal, I agree. What's odd is I thought this past year was perhaps the best total DB depth I could ever remember (and still think that to a great extent) - well, sort of. Though No super standout John Keith or THACKER playing safety out there ...

That should have allowed less need for DB help which should have made us great against the run. Instead we got beat up by Woff and Citadel running over and over and just pounding on us. We need to get more physical for sure - DL and safeties !!!
 #23948  by FUKA61
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 pm
Met him at an airport gate in Philadelphia long after his playing days but at the height of his Mr. Coffee days. Probably had about 20 minutes together and he was a very humble gentleman that did not let his success give him a oversize ego.
 #23959  by MNORM
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:43 am
FUKA61 wrote:
Met him at an airport gate in Philadelphia long after his playing days but at the height of his Mr. Coffee days. Probably had about 20 minutes together and he was a very humble gentleman that did not let his success give him a oversize ego.
But did he dunk his doughnut in his coffee?
fufanatic liked this
 #23966  by Mr. Taggart
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:48 am
FUKA61 wrote:
Were I Joltin' Joe, I would gloat more about being married to Marilyn Monroe than the Hall of Fame baseball career. Just sayin'.
AstroDin, FUBeAR liked this
 #24010  by AstroDin
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:08 am
Let's absorb this… the 2020 Class had an early (post-Hundley and Yates) ranking of #7. Furman did lose a commit, but the additions of a three-star lineman with three power-five offers plus a back with 16 total offers, four being FBS offers more than off-set the loss of Caldwell.

Now trade Caldwell with a pickup of a very high-level three-star (0.866 ranking) with 25 total offers and a ton of power-five interest. The coaches aren't finished with the 2020 class - lots of intriguing offers still out there. This is starting to look like a program defining class.

This class on paper is inching towards a top-five in FCS. Does it translate to the field? NO. But you have to give our coaches credit that Furman is going after players regardless of the attention they're getting from 'big schools.' Now it's go time… it wasn't that long ago that we were lamenting that Furman was behind in getting the Jimmy's and Joe's that it will take to compete for a SoCon title.
MNORM liked this
 #24014  by MNORM
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:51 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:08 am
Let's absorb this… the 2020 Class had an early (post-Hundley and Yates) ranking of #7. Furman did lose a commit, but the additions of a three-star lineman with three power-five offers plus a back with 16 total offers, four being FBS offers more than off-set the loss of Caldwell.

Now trade Caldwell with a pickup of a very high-level three-star (0.866 ranking) with 25 total offers and a ton of power-five interest. The coaches aren't finished with the 2020 class - lots of intriguing offers still out there. This is starting to look like a program defining class.

This class on paper is inching towards a top-five in FCS. Does it translate to the field? NO. But you have to give our coaches credit that Furman is going after players regardless of the attention they're getting from 'big schools.' Now it's go time… it wasn't that long ago that we were lamenting that Furman was behind in getting the Jimmy's and Joe's that it will take to compete for a SoCon title.
Then add the recent WR transfer from Charlotte, Noah Henderson, with multiple FBS, Ivy League, and SoCon offers....future is bright.
 #24043  by Flagman
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:30 pm
How would we respond if the. Clemson backup QB wants to come to Furman? Will we go after him?
 #24045  by AstroDin
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 pm
Flagman wrote:
How would we respond if the. Clemson backup QB wants to come to Furman? Will we go after him?
My guess is if he wanted to come to Furman the coaches would ask Grainger, Sisson, and Shiftlet what they think about it? When C-Force transferred in I think I remember BL saying something about it. My guess is he's going to GA.
 #24049  by apaladin
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:58 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 pm
Flagman wrote:
My guess is if he wanted to come to Furman the coaches would ask Grainger, Sisson, and Shiftlet what they think about it? When C-Force transferred in I think I remember BL saying something about it. My guess is he's going to GA.
I don't know about him going to Georgia. They have just picked up another QB transfer from Wake. Brice is a graduate transfer so he can go anywhere and play right away so he is not coming to FU.
 #24050  by apaladin
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:01 am
FUKA61 wrote:
Cool, unlike most of today's pro athletes.
 #24056  by MNORM
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:34 am
Flagman wrote:
That'd be interesting for sure. My money is on him pursuing a mid level FBS school since he's a graduate transfer and can technically play anywhere right away.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.