• FCS Final

#23886  by Roundball
 Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:15 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:11 pm
NDSU has made FCS football a joke btw, nbodoy cares about a division where a team wins 8 of 9 titles, just a bad look for FCS all around when one team completely dominates for a decade
Nonsense. It’s the rest of the teams that have made FCS a joke. At least NDSU and JMU bring excellence to the field. It’s up to the rest of the field to step up. I hate mediocre football.
FUBeAR, paladinfan12, paladinduece and 1 others liked this
 #23887  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:24 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:38 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:54 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
NDSU has made FCS football a joke btw, nbodoy cares about a division where a team wins 8 of 9 titles, just a bad look for FCS all around when one team completely dominates for a decade
Is it really much worse than what Clempson is doing in FBS. They are on the verge of winning their 3rd NC in the last 4 years. No end in sight. They pretty much have a bye to the playoffs every year. Besides Clempson it’s pretty much the same participants every year: CU, Alabama, OSU, Oklahoma with an odd ball once in a while.

Clemson still has not beaten LSU

Let me know when Clemson comes anything close to winning 8 of 9 titles, pretty certain that won't happen
Not so sure. CU gets the top recruits every year now with that new resort they call a football complex LOL. #1 recruting, great coach motivator, facilities not to mention the hoseshoe up their butt. If they don't win it every year they will certainly be in the mix every year. Go Tigers(LSU that is).
QCGlue liked this
 #23888  by gofurman
 Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:49 pm
Clemson wishes they were NDSU ...

NDSU 8 of 9 national titles from 2011 to 2020 (JMU got one)

FBS titles since 2011-
Clemson
Bama
Clemson
Bama
OSU
FSU
Bama
Bama
 #23889  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:53 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:15 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Nonsense. It’s the rest of the teams that have made FCS a joke. At least NDSU and JMU bring excellence to the field. It’s up to the rest of the field to step up. I hate mediocre football.

That's not my point, my point is that you basically have a Top 25 FBS team in NDSU that is financially (geographically) trapped in the FCS division, it has not been good for the rest of FCS football overall for them to dominate the division over the past decade
Jasper liked this
 #23892  by Jasper
 Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:05 pm
And it's a damned good point as well. It is ridiculous for them to play in FCS.
 #23894  by cavedweller2
 Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:19 pm
If you want to be the man. You have to beat the man.
Roundball, QCGlue liked this
 #23895  by The Jackal
 Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:44 pm
Nothing NDSU is doing is something Furman can't do.

Maybe academic restrictions aren't as stringent, but you can't convince me its easier to recruit a kid to Fargo (where it was below zero temps on Saturday) to play football in a civic center than it is to come to Furman.

NDSU has set the bar. We just have to decide we want to reach it.
FUBeAR, Roundball, Flagman liked this
 #23896  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:24 pm
gofurman wrote:

FBS titles since 2011-
Clemson
Bama
Clemson
Bama
OSU
FSU
Bama
Bama
Not saying they are there yet but they are certainly on their way. If they win Monday night that will be 3 of last 4 and will be favored again next year and the foreseeable future.
 #23899  by Roundball
 Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:44 am
gofurman wrote:

FBS titles since 2011-
Clemson
Bama
Clemson
Bama
OSU
FSU
Bama
Bama
“Clemson wishes they were NDSU.” That’s a good one. :lol: :lol:
sluggo liked this
 #23901  by The Jackal
 Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:33 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:24 pm
gofurman wrote:

FBS titles since 2011-
Clemson
Bama
Clemson
Bama
OSU
FSU
Bama
Bama
Not saying they are there yet but they are certainly on their way. If they win Monday night that will be 3 of last 4 and will be favored again next year and the foreseeable future.
Clemson's got the best of both worlds. They are good enough to play with anyone in the country and their conference is weak enough where they really are never challenged.
apaladin, QCGlue liked this
 #23903  by fufanatic
 Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:29 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:44 pm
Nothing NDSU is doing is something Furman can't do.

Maybe academic restrictions aren't as stringent, but you can't convince me its easier to recruit a kid to Fargo (where it was below zero temps on Saturday) to play football in a civic center than it is to come to Furman.

NDSU has set the bar. We just have to decide we want to reach it.
There's optimism and then there's crazy. There is zero evidence that NDSU's success (8 NATIONAL TITLES IN 9 YEARS) can be duplicated by anyone else in FCS. App State and Georgia Southern came the closest and then they both left. But you would have to combine their all-time FCS efforts to get something that looks like NDSU. Remarkable to think about.

I think it's pretty disingenuous to suggest that other programs just haven't "decided" to compete with NDSU without acknowledging other issues at play, namely the significant differences in recruiting. Let's take a look at 2018 recruiting according to 247 sports.

Here's Georgia (0 Furman, 2 FCS signees in the top 125): https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... l&State=GA

Here's South Carolina (0 Furman, 2 FCS signees in the top 87): https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... l&State=ND

And now here's Minnesota (6 NDSU signees out of 40): https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... l&State=MN

And look who comes in at No. 7 ... Mr. Trey Lance, Walter Payton Award winner as a freshman, himself.

So here's what I'm saying ... even though there is significantly more HS talent in Furman's neck of the woods, there is an insane amount of competition for it. Meanwhile, NDSU plucks up a lot of solid to strong talent in freezing cold states like the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc. with very little competition. I just don't see that changing in the foreseeable future. They'll be the favorites again next year. Lance has 3 more years and has thrown 0 interceptions.
Jasper liked this
 #23907  by AstroDin
 Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:14 pm
I've got a feeling CCH has an idea at what it will take for Furman to play at a higher level he's said as much.

From The Furman Sports Report, "We're really excited about that group," Furman coach Clay Hendrix said. "After three years, we finally feel like we're where we need to be (at the offensive line position)." and in another part of Scott's post ""We've got some solid players (at wide receiver), but that's a position we've got to get better at through recruiting. We need to get a little more dynamic there," Hendrix said. "We just couldn't get one we thought we had in the early signing period, but we've got some good candidates."

Rome wasn't built in a day nor was the Bison. The good news is CCH has raised the bar on recruiting every year. Some play down recruiting, obviously, CCH sees it as critical to his goals for the Paladin program.

One last note concerning the safeties… again from the FSR… "It will be nice to have those guys in here competing early. Richards may be a guy we can move around, maybe to the spur," Hendrix said. "With Austin Jones, who would've played this year if he had not gotten hurt, and Hugh Ryan back there, we feel good about these last two classes of safeties."

re: http://www.furmansportsreport.com/2019/ ... 3-new.html
DeepPurple liked this
 #23911  by fufanatic
 Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:28 pm
In 42 years of FCS football, there still have only been 3 private schools to win FCS national championships - Furman, Richmond and Villanova. Heck, a private school has finished as runner-up only 4 times by my count (Furman x2, Lehigh and Colgate). So if I did math correctly, 7 of the 84 championship game participants are private schools (Furman x3, Richmond, Villanova, Lehigh and Colgate). It's obviously possible, but the deck is so very much stacked against Furman (and other schools) in a billion different ways from recruiting in the Southeast, to academics, to enrollment size, to cost of attendance. There's obviously great things too from quality of education to a beautiful campus in a beautiful city/region of the country, but let's not act like we (or other schools) are one break away from becoming the next NDSU.

Having said that, I truly believe CCH has us on the right track to competing nationally. I'm excited to see the improvement in 2020. The conference and a few home playoff games are up for the taking.
Last edited by fufanatic on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #23914  by fupaladin01
 Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:33 pm
James Madison is a public university.

I agree with the above points about NDSU's geographical advantage. Were Furman in a more rural area, devoid of National champion-caliber programs and countless other D-I schools, maybe recruiting gets easier... on the other hand, maybe even fewer hard working, intelligent, goal-driven students apply because we're in the middle of nowhere.

I look at schools like Elon, Richmond, Samford, and Wofford, who have had success in the the past 20 years and are working with much the same advantages/disadvantages as us. I suspect coaching and fully funded programs are the keys to success. That, and landing 1-2 big recruits that carry your program for a few years e.g. Devlin Hodges, Scott Riddle, Eric Breitenstein- and then riding that momentum enough to land a few more in subsequent years.

As for the coaching and funding pieces, I feel like we're in good shape. Hopefully some of these heralded recruits exceed our expectations.
 #23915  by fufanatic
 Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:25 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:33 pm
James Madison is a public university.
Thank you! I confused myself and didn't research fully. I'm going to update my previous post.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.