• Schedule Announced

#23702  by fufanatic
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:20 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:18 am
FWIW=Wofford announced their schedule and they open with 4 straight SoCon games.
That is absolutely wild. They'll be halfway done with the conference slate before September ends.
 #23711  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:17 pm
Yikes. Not only four straight SoCon games, but Furman and the Citadel back to back to open the year.
 #23714  by fufanatic
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:51 pm
I just read Scott Keeler's article about the schedule and CCH's final quote is bizarre to me. http://www.furmansportsreport.com/

"We tried to do a home-and-home with (PC), but couldn't," Hendrix said. "We've tried to set up some home-and-homes with other schools who won't call us back ... so I'm just glad to get it this one all taken care of. It really has been a challenge."

So we offered soon to be non-scholarship PC a home-and-home and they turned it down? I guess they would rather just have a bigger payday for a one-off, no-return game? I know scheduling games is getting harder and harder, and we don't have any leverage due to budget constraints, but I really hope we aren't heading down the road of home-and-homes with anyone that will say yes in FCS. I'm personally fine with Charleston Southern or other Big South schools. I'm fine with MEAC, Patriot, etc., but I really was hoping we wouldn't have to venture down the path of playing road games at non-scholarship foes. I guess it's an easy DI win that's super close by, but it still reeks of desperation in my opinion.
 #23715  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:26 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:51 pm
I just read Scott Keeler's article about the schedule and CCH's final quote is bizarre to me. http://www.furmansportsreport.com/

"We tried to do a home-and-home with (PC), but couldn't," Hendrix said. "We've tried to set up some home-and-homes with other schools who won't call us back ... so I'm just glad to get it this one all taken care of. It really has been a challenge."

So we offered soon to be non-scholarship PC a home-and-home and they turned it down? I guess they would rather just have a bigger payday for a one-off, no-return game? I know scheduling games is getting harder and harder, and we don't have any leverage due to budget constraints, but I really hope we aren't heading down the road of home-and-homes with anyone that will say yes in FCS. I'm personally fine with Charleston Southern or other Big South schools. I'm fine with MEAC, Patriot, etc., but I really was hoping we wouldn't have to venture down the path of playing road games at non-scholarship foes. I guess it's an easy DI win that's super close by, but it still reeks of desperation in my opinion.
Agree fanatic. That statement is very disappointing. Right now we need one home game for '22, '23, and 2 home games for '24 and '25. I could see adding another FBS game in both '24 and '25 and play 2 FBS games those years and have only 5 hme games vs. 7 away.. Not ideal but I have noticed several FCS teams playig 2 FBS games even in 11 game seasons. 2024 and 2025 are bith 12 game ssasons.
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #23718  by Paul C
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:07 pm
Same article Coach H says we have another home and home vs Chas So so that might take care of one of those home games....

FWIW I'd love a trip to App St or Ga Southern even if the check is smaller than an SEC or ACC team....like we did this year with Ga St.
 #23719  by fufanatic
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:14 pm
Paul C wrote:
FWIW I'd love a trip to App St or Ga Southern even if the check is smaller than an SEC or ACC team....like we did this year with Ga St.
I agree. It feels like a large majority of the FCS over FBS wins are against Group of 6 schools. Would love to play more matchups like Georgia State. Charlotte, Coastal, East Carolina, Western Kentucky, the service academies would be awesome ... any school in the MAC ... I would be fine with App and GSU, but I really loved beating both of them in the final SoCon matchup. Not sure if I want them to get the potential advantage again. Hopefully any year we play two FBS games we have a big guy and a small guy like this year.
 #23720  by Affirm
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:01 pm
SMU, Rice, North Texas, Tulane, Tulsa, UConn are others I’d add to fufanatic ‘s list as other good examples. I realize SMU would be hard to beat these days.
 #23726  by Yadkin
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:35 pm
affirm wrote:
SMU, Rice, North Texas, Tulane, Tulsa, UConn are others I’d add to fufanatic ‘s list as other good examples. I realize SMU would be hard to beat these days.
All these suggested opponents come with lower end guarantees and require flights, which almost triple the travel costs vs. bus. Not realistic, but it is at least consistent with your constantly throwing out virtually every northeastern school as suggested foes. If you want FU football to do admissions office work, write a check.
 #23751  by fufanatic
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:54 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:35 pm
affirm wrote:
All these suggested opponents come with lower end guarantees and require flights, which almost triple the travel costs vs. bus. Not realistic, but it is at least consistent with your constantly throwing out virtually every northeastern school as suggested foes. If you want FU football to do admissions office work, write a check.
I agree that if we are going to play an FBS squad that requires a flight that the check will have to be nice. Bus trips to smaller FBS schools would be great as Paul C suggested. Would be nice to have a bit more realistic chance at a big win. And yes I know we could/should have beaten VT, but that doesn’t happen every year.
 #23764  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:57 pm
FYI I corrected my above post. 2024 and 2025 are both 12 game seasons not 11.
 #23765  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:03 pm
Paul C wrote:
Same article Coach H says we have another home and home vs Chas So so that might take care of one of those home games....

Another disappointing statement regading another series with CSU. One series is plenty. Love the W&M and NC A&T ones. Hard to believe we can't find other teams for home and home. How about some new to FCS teams? North Alabama comes to mind.
 #23776  by cavedweller2
 Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:34 am
I'm looking forward to the home and home series with Anderson and Erskine.
Davemeister liked this
 #23799  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:42 am
Paul C wrote:
I'd love a trip to App St or Ga Southern
 #23819  by paladinfan12
 Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:47 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:02 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:34 am
I'm looking forward to the home and home series with Anderson and Erskine.
... and Limestone.
I can't wait until we set up that annual series with Bob Jones and North Greenville. We could probably get our own little conference going of small schools in upstate SC going and forget the SoCon.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.