Horse wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:59 pm
What does tight mean?
TGHT. The Game Honors Toughness
 #23654  by furpop16
 Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:41 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:59 am
I don't think I am alone in my thinking that we have the best coach in the country, I literally would not trade him for anybody!
Not about to argue ... I agree with you 100%. Nevertheless I'm curious what others think: is a great basketball coach so great for all basketball teams? More precisely, is a great mid-major college basketball coach great for all colleges or even pro's? I guess we're about to see with Mike Young.

As for our coach, what I find so awesome, beyond the X's & O's, is his ability to inspire. I think that has special value at mid-major ball, where the team isn't loaded with 4* & 5* talent. Instead all of the intangibles come into play to make a great team - and those same life-lessons have meaning beyond the court. Is his gift of inspiration transferable elsewhere in basketball? To P5 one-&-done's or the NBA?

I'm not saying we sit on our laurels and not value our coach. Quite the opposite - he's Perfect for Furman - and we ought to do everything we can to keep him. But to put all of my cards on the table, I wonder if there's consideration for the corollary: that CBR is perfect for FURMAN. What are your thoughts?
 #23655  by Paul C
 Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:54 am
Our AD has said repeatedly, and most recently at the reception before the ETSU game, we will do everything, EVERYTHING we can to keep Bob Richey at Furman for a long time.
FUKA61, MNORM, fufanatic and 6 others liked this
 #23662  by CharlieFU
 Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:43 am
The difference between NBA and college is so vast that success in one does not predict success in the other. At least not universally.

Mike Young going from mid major to Va Tech? I expect him to be successful. Likewise, if Coach Richey eventually goes to P5 school, I would expect him to succeed. Coach Richey and his staff (and NIko before him) has created a certain culture much the way Dabo has at Clemson. It really is about more than basketball. Further, our talent level has obviously gone up, and we have had players who have gotten better and better while here. (for the most part) So recruiting and player development have moved to another level. With Niko and Bob (if you attend any practices) one can see how good a teacher they are. Then, there is effort and toughness. Both are at a higher level; Coach Richey has high expectations. And if you don't play defense, you aint gonna play very much.

I have always wondered why Clemson cannot sustain any success in bball. If you can recruit good football players, why cant you recruit bball players? Success breeds success--that's one factor.
furpop16 liked this
 #23682  by Roundball
 Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:48 am
Bonner wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:44 am
From the ETSU Message Board:
RE: Official Game Thread: @ Furman
Not sure why I keep torturing myself and going to away games at Furman. The arena, the atmosphere, the fans, the obnoxiously loud speakers. God i hate that place. We never play well there

That's all, just had to vent
It's comments like that to make it the main reason to love Timmons. Fans hate it and I am willing to bet opposing teams hate it too. It's a great home court advantage when its full and loud.
Affirm, QCGlue liked this
 #23701  by MNORM
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:19 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:48 am
Bonner wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:44 am
From the ETSU Message Board:
RE: Official Game Thread: @ Furman
Not sure why I keep torturing myself and going to away games at Furman. The arena, the atmosphere, the fans, the obnoxiously loud speakers. God i hate that place. We never play well there

That's all, just had to vent
It's comments like that to make it the main reason to love Timmons. Fans hate it and I am willing to bet opposing teams hate it too. It's a great home court advantage when its full and loud.
...and this guy hated it when the student section was full of OLLI folks. Add 400 or so students to that section instead, as well as the lacrosse players right next to the bench, and it's downright awful for opposing players. I can't think of a more hostile environment to play in the SoCon.
FUKA61, Roundball, QCGlue liked this
 #23704  by tim
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:12 am
furpop16 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:41 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:59 am
I don't think I am alone in my thinking that we have the best coach in the country, I literally would not trade him for anybody!
Not about to argue ... I agree with you 100%. Nevertheless I'm curious what others think: is a great basketball coach so great for all basketball teams? More precisely, is a great mid-major college basketball coach great for all colleges or even pro's? I guess we're about to see with Mike Young.

As for our coach, what I find so awesome, beyond the X's & O's, is his ability to inspire. I think that has special value at mid-major ball, where the team isn't loaded with 4* & 5* talent. Instead all of the intangibles come into play to make a great team - and those same life-lessons have meaning beyond the court. Is his gift of inspiration transferable elsewhere in basketball? To P5 one-&-done's or the NBA?

I'm not saying we sit on our laurels and not value our coach. Quite the opposite - he's Perfect for Furman - and we ought to do everything we can to keep him. But to put all of my cards on the table, I wonder if there's consideration for the corollary: that CBR is perfect for FURMAN. What are your thoughts?
Excellent post!
furpop16 liked this
 #23705  by Roundball
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:43 am
Our players are getting a better education from Professor Richey than from sitting in any class. He is a great teacher of young men. Heck, I’m 62 and he inspires me to be a better person every time I hear him.
furpop16, QCGlue, Paladin575 liked this
 #23708  by furpop16
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:51 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:43 am
Our players are getting a better education from Professor Richey than from sitting in any class. He is a great teacher of young men. Heck, I’m 62 and he inspires me to be a better person every time I hear him.
Reminds me of that line in "It's a Wonderful Life", where Jimmy Stewart's dad tells him "you were born older (than his brother)". I'm 61 and CBR similarly inspires me to be a better person.

Coach Richey was born older.
QCGlue liked this
 #23712  by gman84
 Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:31 pm
I'm 57 soon to be 58. I find myself listening to his every word. I also admire his calmness when under fire. I have yet to see him get over emotional in any situation. I wish I could say the same for myself. It wasn't all that long ago that most of us thought we would never see FU basketball become relevant.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.