• Hayden Hays

#2354  by FUPlayer74
 Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:17 pm
Former player, coach, and staunch supporter, Hayden Hays passed today. He will be missed.
PHIC.
76MrMoto liked this
 #2356  by Bootie
 Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:57 pm
Fantastic guy. Purple through and through. Every Sunday morning he'd come into church a little early while I was setting up, and whatever happened in Furman sports that Saturday or the week before, we'd talk about it. I'm gonna miss him and those moments.

In all likelihood, the service will be held here at First Baptist in Greenville. As soon as I hear any new details I'll share here.

Who remembers any details of his time at Furman? What position did he play? Share your memories if you will.
76MrMoto liked this
 #2358  by ccoates
 Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:41 pm
Bootie wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:57 pm
Fantastic guy. Purple through and through. Every Sunday morning he'd come into church a little early while I was setting up, and whatever happened in Furman sports that Saturday or the week before, we'd talk about it. I'm gonna miss him and those moments.

In all likelihood, the service will be held here at First Baptist in Greenville. As soon as I hear any new details I'll share here.

Who remembers any details of his time at Furman? What position did he play? Share your memories if you will.

Sorry to hear of Hayden's passing.

I was a Freshman manager for the 1963 team, which was 7-3 with a victory over Vanderbilt. Hayden was a senior and intimidated the new arrivals, not without some enjoyment. That was one of the last years that players went both ways. Hayden was an end who played mostly on defense. I do remember him stretching full length to catch what turned out to be the winning TD against Wofford at old Snyder Field.

Players of that era were not as large as they are now. Hayden weighed in at around 210 or so, but he wore the biggest helmet we could find. His hat size was such that his nickname was "Warpy." I don't think he was particularly fond of that name, because it kind of faded from the vocabulary after his playing days. He was a tough competitor who had an Eastwood-like glare when provoked, and he loved to lead ribald songs in the shower after practice.
FUBeAR, Bootie, 76MrMoto liked this
 #2359  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:44 pm
Not from memory as I am not that old...yet...

looks like he caught a few balls for the Paladins in ththe early 60’s:
Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
1961 Furman Southern WR 10 1 28 28.0 0 1 28 28.0 0
1962 Furman Southern WR 10 2 28 14.0 0 2 28 14.0 0
1963 Furman Southern WR 10 1 6 6.0 0 1 6 6.0 0
Career Furman 4 62 15.5 0 4 62 15.5 0

Looks like he was a “strong end” & if you ever wondered who was FU’s QB before “Sammy “ Wyche took the reins, you can find it in this article: https://newspaperarchive.com/bluefield- ... 1963-p-24/

Looks like he, #82, a 6-2/210 Sr. from Decatur, GA caught a ball @ FSU in front of 12,000 as Furman fell to the Seminoles by quite a few. http://www.nolefan.org/ref/f1963_11_02_sid.pdf (This one is really cool. Check it out.)

Joined the FU Football Coaching Staff in 1968 after Coaching at Commerce (GA) HS for 3 years: https://newspaperarchive.com/burlington ... 1968-p-15/ (bottom left corner)
AstroDin liked this
 #2382  by Bootie
 Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:47 am
Yep, just got em...

Monday, July 23 at First Baptist Greenville
847 Cleveland St.
Greenville, SC 29601

Visitation at 1pm
Funeral at 2pm
 #2385  by FUKA61
 Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:56 pm
The service will be Monday at the First Baptist Church. 1pm visitation and 2pm memorial service.

Hayden was a great person who came to FU in the fall of 1960(my senior year). We were fortunate that Hayden chose to be a KA. This was back in the days of freshman teams but Hayden was a starter for three years being used primarily as a blocker. He was President of the Paladin Club and for many years gave a half scholarship. He will be missed.

Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.
76MrMoto liked this
 #2441  by hawg
 Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:26 pm
Hayden and I kidded around at church. Earlier this year I was cleaning out some stuff at home and came across a student newspaper from 1968 that happened to have an article an picture. It was announcing his being hired as an assistant coach by Coach King. I delivered the paper to him the following Sunday and I could see that he was touched, though he tried to hide it. Great guy. We are missing a good one. Sam Wyche and Billy Turner, both teammates of Hayden, spoke about the man and the football player. Apparently they met on the practice field on occasion, and with gusto.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.