Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:37 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:38 am
affirm wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:56 am
it’s now only 8 months ...
8 months 17 days. :D :D :D
8 months 13 days now. . . .
This thread was about schedule and got off track. Why have Elon, Richmond, Villanova, James Madison, and presumably the rest of the CAA all announced their 2020 schedules, but we are not able to?
That, plus the fact that in the 18 seasons since any current SoCon team (Furman) was in the FCS finals, CAA has had 10 current member FCS finals appearances (5 of those wins) compared to ZERO for current SoCon teams, makes me again say this: There could be some major advantages for Furman football to move to CAA, and it ought to continue to be explored if we are serious about football.
 #23312  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:02 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
This thread was about schedule and got off track. Why have Elon, Richmond, Villanova, James Madison, and presumably the rest of the CAA all announced their 2020 schedules, but we are not able to?
That, plus the fact that in the 18 seasons since any current SoCon team (Furman) was in the FCS finals, CAA has had 10 current member FCS finals appearances (5 of those wins) compared to ZERO for current SoCon teams, makes me again say this: There could be some major advantages for Furman football to move to CAA, and it ought to continue to be explored if we are serious about football.
You realize that outside of James Madison, the CAA is pretty milk toast in football, right?

They had three teams make the post season. Albany beat the weakest team in the field and was then promptly trounced by Montana State. Villanova was bounced in the first round by a SELA team that was absolutely hammered by Montana.
 #23313  by youwouldno
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:12 pm
I'm not sure JMU will even be in the CAA much longer, if they can help it. Seems like their fan base is getting tired of being FCS. And the CAA isn't good at basketball anymore.
 #23317  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:06 pm
youwouldno wrote:
I'm not sure JMU will even be in the CAA much longer, if they can help it. Seems like their fan base is getting tired of being FCS. And the CAA isn't good at basketball anymore.
I think you are right. Won't be long before we will be seeing JMU on those Tuesday and Wednesday night mid-season games. Then they can play in those bowl games like ASU and GSU against nobodies. ASU went 12-1, was ranked 20th and got to play a four loss team in an 80% empty stadium.
 #23323  by MNORM
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
I think you are right. Won't be long before we will be seeing JMU on those Tuesday and Wednesday night mid-season games. Then they can play in those bowl games like ASU and GSU against nobodies. ASU went 12-1, was ranked 20th and got to play a four loss team in an 80% empty stadium.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
 #23325  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:20 am
apaladin wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
Attendance 21k in a stadium that holds 75k.

App has played 5 consecutive bowl games, won all of them. Their opponents were Ohio, Toledo (2x), MTSU, and UAB.

Re the New Orleans Bowl:
In 2001, the Sun Belt Conference signed a temporary contract to play against the 5th-ranked team from the Mountain West Conference. Beginning in 2002, the New Orleans Bowl established conference tie-ins with the Sun Belt and Conference USA (C-USA). The Sun Belt usually sends its conference champion to the New Orleans Bowl, but can (and has) sent the champion to what is now known as the LendingTree Bowl, such as Arkansas State playing in the 2013 GoDaddy.com Bowl.
I'm sure that's a lot more fun than national championships. Hey, maybe next year they can make the LendingTree Bowl, whatever that is.
 #23327  by sluggo
 Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

App has played 5 consecutive bowl games, won all of them. Their opponents were Ohio, Toledo (2x), MTSU, and UAB.

Re the New Orleans Bowl:
In 2001, the Sun Belt Conference signed a temporary contract to play against the 5th-ranked team from the Mountain West Conference. Beginning in 2002, the New Orleans Bowl established conference tie-ins with the Sun Belt and Conference USA (C-USA). The Sun Belt usually sends its conference champion to the New Orleans Bowl, but can (and has) sent the champion to what is now known as the LendingTree Bowl, such as Arkansas State playing in the 2013 GoDaddy.com Bowl.
I'm sure that's a lot more fun than national championships. Hey, maybe next year they can make the LendingTree Bowl, whatever that is.

Talking about national championships on this board is somewhat delusional.
Waiting 30 years a pop to have "more fun" is ridiculous.

We need to worry about the dying crowds at the games; because if it gets much worse, football will have to be discontinued.

As much as I like Furman football, I personally can't justify keeping a D1 scholarship team when the crowd dies down to under 4000.

21k viewers in a stadium that seats 75k is still 15k more tickets than typical FCS playoff game that we lose. :roll:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... /401185996

Attendance: 3,559 :shock:

How do you spell "Nobody gives a sh__"? Answer : 3,559
 #23328  by Affirm
 Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
You realize that outside of James Madison, the CAA is pretty milk toast in football, right?

They had three teams make the post season. Albany beat the weakest team in the field and was then promptly trounced by Montana State. Villanova was bounced in the first round by a SELA team that was absolutely hammered by Montana.
CAA does have their schedules announced already, and they are generally very decent OOC schedules. SoCon schools are still searching for games and some of the OOC’s will be not so decent.
 #23329  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:33 pm
sluggo wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Re the New Orleans Bowl:

We need to worry about the dying crowds at the games; because if it gets much worse, football will have to be discontinued.

As much as I like Furman football, I personally can't justify keeping a D1 scholarship team when the crowd dies down to under 4000.

21k viewers in a stadium that seats 75k is still 15k more tickets than typical FCS playoff game that we lose. :roll:

I'm sure that the heavy rains, thunderstorms, and multiple lightning delays had nothing to do with the attendance.
 #23330  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:39 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:

CAA does have their schedules announced already, and they are generally very decent OOC schedules. SoCon schools are still searching for games and some of the OOC’s will be not so decent.

Hey - good for them.

Remember also that the CAA has three other FCS conferences that share the largely the same geographic area (NEC, Patriot, and Ivy Leagues). If you look at most teams' schedules, they are basically a rotation of NEC and Patriot League teams.

It's a bit easier to carve out a schedule with reasonable travel when there are two dozen FCS teams a short distance away.
 #23331  by Affirm
 Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:50 pm
sluggo wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Re the New Orleans Bowl:

In my opinion, whether or not we should keep D1 scholarship football should depend upon the predicted overall net financial and educational impacts upon the university, if “we keep it” versus “if we move to Pioneer League or make some other similar change”. It’s not just attendance. It’s not just football direct costs and direct benefits. What are indirect costs and indirect benefits?
 #23332  by cavedweller2
 Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:14 pm
Sluggo has a point. What team within reality could Furman schedule that would attract 15,000 to Paladin Stadium?
 #23335  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:25 pm
[/quote]

Not really true that SoCon schools are still searching for games. There are only 3 OOC games in the whole league that are unknown. FU, MU and ETSU have one unknown game each. The SoCon conference schedule is also done, it's just up to the schools when they want to announce it.
Here are the 2020 SoCon OOC schedules:
Chattanooga: @Western Ky., @James Madison, N. Alabama
Citadel: Elon, CSU @Clempson-has annouced SoCon schedule also
ETSU: @Georgia @Austin Peay, Unknown
Furman: @Tennessee, @CSU(not confimed), Unknown
Mercer: @Vanderbilt, @Campbell, Unknown
Samford: Tenn. Tech, @Kennesaw St., @Florida St.
Western: @E. Kentucky, Gardner-Webb, @Liberty
Wofford: SC State, @Gardner-Webb, @South Carolina
I would bet the 3 unknown games are already scheduled.
 #23336  by sluggo
 Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:33 pm
I'm sure that the heavy rains, thunderstorms, and multiple lightning delays had nothing to do with the attendance.
Well actually not that much compared to the next playoff game :

Austin Peay vs Sacramento State Attendance: 5,140
https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... /401187314

Montana State game had the kind of numbers we need to see :
Attendance: 14,017

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.