• Wofford announcer out

#2325  by tya1
 Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:05 pm
Mark Hauser, Wofford's football and basketball guy for 26 years, announced that he and the college were unable to agree to a new contract and he has called his last game for the Terriers. You get the feeling from his wording that it was mainly a Wofford decision more so than his own choice.

Just speculation on my part but I wonder if the new football coach had anything to do with this.
FUBeAR liked this
 #2339  by lawdog
 Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:54 pm
Mark is a freelancer working for IMG. Fans generally think he has done a great job, and perhaps the school/fans can get the matter corrected.
Fessor liked this
 #2345  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:45 am
lawdog wrote:
Mark is a freelancer working for IMG.
Technically, I believe that is correct. On the other hand, he has been the voice, and, quite often, the face of Wofford Football & Basketball for the past 26 years.

Anyone ever see him wearing an IMG Logo’d shirt? How about anything with a “W” on it?

Though I do not know this for certain, my sense is that his compensation is a pure pass-thru cost to Wofford and IMG just handles the payrolling aspect.

Trying to spin this as ‘he’s just a part-time contractor that a 3rd party hired & employs is, in my opinion, just that - sheer spin. And, even worse, I think it is highly disrespectful of him as a professional & of the years of dedicated, loyal, and quite laudable service that he has provided to the Terriers.

But that seems to fit with the way things are being handled up in SparkleCity these days, doesn’t it?

Hey, Furman has elected to part ways with at least 3 of its most favorite & loyal ‘sons’ since 2011 and it wasn’t always pretty & not everyone left feeling all Purply-Googly inside, but from how I understand and what I have seen of how those situations were handled and from what I’ve heard and now seen more openly in this situation with Mr. Hauser; it’s a night & day comparison.

I sure do not have all of the verified facts of the matter(s), but from my limited perspective, there certainly appears to have been quite an ugly turn of multiple events at Wofford since the week of 12/11/17.

But...don’t just take it from me...what some AnkleBiter Faithful are saying is below...

“MH is a pro's pro and one of the best ambassadors that the college has ever had. He deserves so much better than this. Reading of his shoddy treatment at the hands of the Athletic Department in TS's article makes me embarrassed to be a financial supporter of Wofford. After twenty-six years, how could a Wofford legend--and I don't use that term lightly--like MH be dismissed so unceremoniously? I find the whole matter very distressing.”

“There has got to be more than just money here at least on Wofford's side. They have never had trouble asking for money in the past for other projects, why would this be any different. I agree...though in that the optics for Wofford look very bad. ...as objective as Hauser tries to be, you can tell that he has become a fan, friend of coaches, administrators and players. For him to be discarded with no fanfare or effort is very, very disappointing. Even if the money were raised, I am not sure the relationship could be saved. If it we were me, there would be some seriously bad feelings lingering even if I came back”

“Definitely a lose-lose-lose situation for him, the school and the fans. Mark has been a great ambassador for the school. We have all lived and died so many great wins, crushing losses and memorable moments through his calls as the voice of Terriers and he will always be a part of the family. Sad day.“

“...it was handled poorly. Bad optics. Mishandled and reflects poorly on Wofford. By the way I am hearing it is over $2,000. That can be raised in one or 2 phone calls. Ridiculous.”

“The public information released by Hauser pretty clearly shows he was terminated/nonrenewed without even an email from anyone in the athletic office. I’d say that is credible evidence...of a change in culture at WoCo...Not good optics for our school. The Purge continues.”

“Wofford seems to be changing in so many ways these days... To hear Mark say that he has not heard one word from Wofford or the Sports Administration is disappointing to say the least and could infer that perhaps they are the ones calling the shots on this (instead of IMG). Seems as though [President] Samhat and [Athletics Director] RJ have their own vision for Wofford/Wofford Athletics and are doing what they can to make it happen one change at a time.”

“This is a huge disappointment to all Wofford fans. Mark is a phenomenal talent and an even better guy. What a change this fall will be without Coach Ayers and Mark.”

“Hauser has been the voice of the Terriers for so long. What will we do without him ? Very disappointing to say the least ! Plus I do not understand how this happened.”

“Mark has been a part of Wofford Athletics for as long as I can remember...Seems like Wofford [is] not nearly as appreciative of what he has done for the athletic program as the fans are.”

“...it is crazy the athletic department said they would be interested in getting Hauser back at last years rate because that would be the same rate as the year before that, before that one, and again before that one at least! The “Wofford Way”...Of seeing how little you can give and get away with continues.”

Sound like a 3rd Party, “freelancer” relationship?
Jasper liked this
 #2347  by Jasper
 Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:32 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:45 am
lawdog wrote:
Mark is a freelancer working for IMG.
Technically, I believe that is correct. On the other hand, he has been the voice, and, quite often, the face of Wofford Football & Basketball for the past 26 years.

Anyone ever see him wearing an IMG Logo’d shirt? How about anything with a “W” on it?

Though I do not know this for certain, my sense is that his compensation is a pure pass-thru cost to Wofford and IMG just handles the payrolling aspect.

Trying to spin this as ‘he’s just a part-time contractor that a 3rd party hired & employs is, in my opinion, just that - sheer spin. And, even worse, I think it is highly disrespectful of him as a professional & of the years of dedicated, loyal, and quite laudable service that he has provided to the Terriers.

But that seems to fit with the way things are being handled up in SparkleCity these days, doesn’t it?

Hey, Furman has elected to part ways with at least 3 of its most favorite & loyal ‘sons’ since 2011 and it wasn’t always pretty & not everyone left feeling all Purply-Googly inside, but from how I understand and what I have seen of how those situations were handled and from what I’ve heard and now seen more openly in this situation with Mr. Hauser; it’s a night & day comparison.

I sure do not have all of the verified facts of the matter(s), but from my limited perspective, there certainly appears to have been quite an ugly turn of multiple events at Wofford since the week of 12/11/17.

But...don’t just take it from me...what some AnkleBiter Faithful are saying is below...

“MH is a pro's pro and one of the best ambassadors that the college has ever had. He deserves so much better than this. Reading of his shoddy treatment at the hands of the Athletic Department in TS's article makes me embarrassed to be a financial supporter of Wofford. After twenty-six years, how could a Wofford legend--and I don't use that term lightly--like MH be dismissed so unceremoniously? I find the whole matter very distressing.”

“There has got to be more than just money here at least on Wofford's side. They have never had trouble asking for money in the past for other projects, why would this be any different. I agree...though in that the optics for Wofford look very bad. ...as objective as Hauser tries to be, you can tell that he has become a fan, friend of coaches, administrators and players. For him to be discarded with no fanfare or effort is very, very disappointing. Even if the money were raised, I am not sure the relationship could be saved. If it we were me, there would be some seriously bad feelings lingering even if I came back”

“Definitely a lose-lose-lose situation for him, the school and the fans. Mark has been a great ambassador for the school. We have all lived and died so many great wins, crushing losses and memorable moments through his calls as the voice of Terriers and he will always be a part of the family. Sad day.“

“...it was handled poorly. Bad optics. Mishandled and reflects poorly on Wofford. By the way I am hearing it is over $2,000. That can be raised in one or 2 phone calls. Ridiculous.”

“The public information released by Hauser pretty clearly shows he was terminated/nonrenewed without even an email from anyone in the athletic office. I’d say that is credible evidence...of a change in culture at WoCo...Not good optics for our school. The Purge continues.”

“Wofford seems to be changing in so many ways these days... To hear Mark say that he has not heard one word from Wofford or the Sports Administration is disappointing to say the least and could infer that perhaps they are the ones calling the shots on this (instead of IMG). Seems as though [President] Samhat and [Athletics Director] RJ have their own vision for Wofford/Wofford Athletics and are doing what they can to make it happen one change at a time.”

“This is a huge disappointment to all Wofford fans. Mark is a phenomenal talent and an even better guy. What a change this fall will be without Coach Ayers and Mark.”

“Hauser has been the voice of the Terriers for so long. What will we do without him ? Very disappointing to say the least ! Plus I do not understand how this happened.”

“Mark has been a part of Wofford Athletics for as long as I can remember...Seems like Wofford [is] not nearly as appreciative of what he has done for the athletic program as the fans are.”

“...it is crazy the athletic department said they would be interested in getting Hauser back at last years rate because that would be the same rate as the year before that, before that one, and again before that one at least! The “Wofford Way”...Of seeing how little you can give and get away with continues.”

Sound like a 3rd Party, “freelancer” relationship?
PROPOSED 11TH COMMANDMENT - Thy shalt not try to sneak an 85 MPH fast ball passed FUBeAR - especially during the football off season. It will be smitten out of the stadium as this one was. :D
FUBeAR, FUKA61, goingoingone liked this
 #2361  by Fessor
 Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:15 pm
lawdog wrote:
Mark is a freelancer working for IMG. Fans generally think he has done a great job, and perhaps the school/fans can get the matter corrected.
He's good. Hopefully the faithful are marshaled and this odd parting isn't permanent.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.