• 2020 Schedule

#23179  by cavedweller2
 Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:41 pm
I heard we couldnt get another home game and are going on the road to Valdosta State.
 #23184  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:49 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:41 pm
I heard we couldnt get another home game and are going on the road to Valdosta State.
You misheard that, it’s @ Blue Mountain State
MNORM liked this
 #23203  by fufanatic
 Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:15 am
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:55 am
Only on the UFFP can you find people who think the sky is falling because we won only 8 games this year.
We probably don't want to go down this road again, but to me much of the angst came from the pretty obvious fact that 8 wins in the current SoCon doesn't mean a whole lot unfortunately. The year was exciting and I thoroughly enjoyed watching most games. And I think before the year if you had told people that we would have won 8 games and made the playoffs, most people would have been pleased. But after finally realizing what the SoCon is, losing to our two biggest rivals badly, and losing in the round of 24 badly, I can understand why everyone wasn't beyond thrilled like some apparently are.
bj93, dornb liked this
 #23205  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:27 am
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:15 am
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:55 am
Only on the UFFP can you find people who think the sky is falling because we won only 8 games this year.
We probably don't want to go down this road again, but to me much of the angst came from the pretty obvious fact that 8 wins in the current SoCon doesn't mean a whole lot unfortunately. The year was exciting and I thoroughly enjoyed watching most games. And I think before the year if you had told people that we would have won 8 games and made the playoffs, most people would have been pleased. But after finally realizing what the SoCon is, losing to our two biggest rivals badly, and losing in the round of 24 badly, I can understand why everyone wasn't beyond thrilled like some apparently are.
My position on this is always the same - don't complain for the sake of complaining. What good is it going to do?

The SoCon didn't have a great playoff, but we need to keep everything in perspective.

Furman's loss in the playoff looked bad, but it looked far less bad after Austin Peay thrashed the #3 team in the country worse than they beat us. We played a terrible game and it was a 4 point contest at the half.

Wofford's loss was disappointing, but Kennesaw State turned around and had Weber State on the ropes on the road the next week. Weber State is currently in the final four and is a very good football team.

The SoCon's playoffs losses looked bad because everyone assumed APSU and Kennesaw were overrated. They weren't.
MNORM liked this
 #23206  by Davemeister
 Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:39 am
I'm not thrilled over 8 wins, but it was about what we expected. If you doubt, go back and read the old "Prediculations" thread.

8 is more happy than sad, any old day. Think back on the years not so long ago when 8 wins was nothing more than a pipe dream. After NSD, I am convinced much better days are ahead.
MNORM, dornb liked this
 #23208  by fufanatic
 Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:34 am
Davemeister wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:39 am
I'm not thrilled over 8 wins, but it was about what we expected. If you doubt, go back and read the old "Prediculations" thread.

8 is more happy than sad, any old day. Think back on the years not so long ago when 8 wins was nothing more than a pipe dream. After NSD, I am convinced much better days are ahead.
Oh I agree, but I will also say that how we got to 8 wins also plays a factor in people's angst. We were destroying people, playing good FBS teams well and then just hit a wall later in the year. After the Samford game I was convinced we would go undefeated in conference play and hopefully make a quarterfinal run in the playoffs. And then the wheels fell off. It happens, but I certainly understand why people were disappointed. It doesn't have to be one or the other. We can be thrilled that we are winning more than 3 games a year, but also be disappointed that the season flamed out after such a promising start. I too am convinced that much better days are ahead.
dornb, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #23210  by DeepPurple
 Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:02 pm
It was not long ago when 8 games was a dream around here. We were sitting near the bottom of the conference. We are still a work in progress. I do like our direction.
Be thankful for what we have, it sure could be worse.
Merry Christmas.
FUKA61, dornb liked this
 #23211  by youwouldno
 Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:02 pm
If the team played an NAIA schedule, they'd go undefeated.

Beating quality opponents is exciting. Beating teams that are D-II quality or actually in D-II, less so.
 #23215  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:29 pm
Sort of stange how in CCH first 2 years the team statred slow and finnished really strong. This year we started strong and really fizzled out in the last 5-6 games. This after CCH said we were in the best shape ever. Maybe they worked them too hard.
 #23216  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:35 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sort of stange how in CCH first 2 years the team statred slow and finnished really strong. This year we started strong and really fizzled out in the last 5-6 games. This after CCH said we were in the best shape ever. Maybe they worked them too hard.
You must have watched a different last 5 or 6 games than I did.

My opinion - everyone watched the first few games and set difficult-to-reach expectations for the season.
 #23258  by fufanatic
 Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

My opinion - everyone watched the first few games and set difficult-to-reach expectations for the season.
I mean, we went 3-3 in our last 6 FCS games. Fine if you don’t want to call it fizzle, but let’s not pretend that it was the same Furman team that we saw in the first 6 games.
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #23270  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:17 am
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I mean, we went 3-3 in our last 6 FCS games. Fine if you don’t want to call it fizzle, but let’s not pretend that it was the same Furman team that we saw in the first 6 games.
It's hard to argue the team "fizzled out" when they were still blowing out conference teams late in the season.
 #23278  by youwouldno
 Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
It's hard to argue the team "fizzled out" when they were still blowing out conference teams late in the season.
Actually it's super easy. For one thing, the only true blowout was against VMI, who sucks. For another thing, that blowout, and handling WCU (who also sucks), hardly make up for being humiliated by the team's top two conference rivals and being demolished in the first round of the playoffs.

At least the early-season losses were close. The team looked like they could play with anyone. In the 2nd half of the season, they were non-competitive against solid FCS opponents.

Pretending there was no difference is too much, even by your sycophantic standards.
 #23282  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:59 pm
youwouldno wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Actually it's super easy. For one thing, the only true blowout was against VMI, who sucks. For another thing, that blowout, and handling WCU (who also sucks), hardly make up for being humiliated by the team's top two conference rivals and being demolished in the first round of the playoffs.

At least the early-season losses were close. The team looked like they could play with anyone. In the 2nd half of the season, they were non-competitive against solid FCS opponents.

Pretending there was no difference is too much, even by your sycophantic standards.
So, they "fizzled" out in the second half if you ignore the several blowout wins? Sure. Ok.

Just say they played poorly against Wofford and the Citadel. It's a lot easier to say that. It's also more accurate.
 #23283  by youwouldno
 Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:30 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:59 pm
youwouldno wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

So, they "fizzled" out in the second half if you ignore the several blowout wins? Sure. Ok.

Just say they played poorly against Wofford and the Citadel. It's a lot easier to say that. It's also more accurate.
When a team beats bad teams and loses to good teams, it just means they are mediocre. It doesn't mean they just had an off day every single time they played someone good. The Paladins just weren't good and so they fared poorly against good opponents.

I didn't use the word "fizzled," if you have some kind of allergy to that word it doesn't really matter. But it was not a successful 2nd half of the year, and I'm sure Hendrix and his staff agree.
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.