• Two New Players

#2313  by AstroDin
 Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:14 pm
DIgging into the updated roster…

Luke is listed at 204 lb :shock:
Jack Owen listed ILB 6-3 220
Davonta Porter OLB 6-2 218
Adrain Hope OLB 6-1 218 - really interested to see Hope finally get some PT, I believe Hope was under 200 when he signed.
 #2314  by The Jackal
 Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:59 am
AstroDin wrote:

Adrain Hope OLB 6-1 218 - really interested to see Hope finally get some PT, I believe Hope was under 200 when he signed.

Speculating, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Luke primarily deployed as a lead blocker out of the wing.

He had only 15 carries and 131 yards last season. Roughly 90 of those yards came on two carries (44 against Wofford in week 1 and 45 against NC State). He had 6 carries from the Colgate game onward.

There were a couple of guys in last year's offense like Luke and Armstrong who would line up in the wing and be primarily used as a blocker. They rarely get the ball, but are an invaluable part of the offense in getting a helmet on linebackers and safeties in the run game.
 #2316  by Jasper
 Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:19 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:59 am
AstroDin wrote:

Speculating, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Luke primarily deployed as a lead blocker out of the wing.

He had only 15 carries and 131 yards last season. Roughly 90 of those yards came on two carries (44 against Wofford in week 1 and 45 against NC State). He had 6 carries from the Colgate game onward.

There were a couple of guys in last year's offense like Luke and Armstrong who would line up in the wing and be primarily used as a blocker. They rarely get the ball, but are an invaluable part of the offense in getting a helmet on linebackers and safeties in the run game.
If we stick with the variation of the wing T used last year, I fully expect that position to be used more productively this year - which is not to say that the mostly lead blocking function was not extremely important. I am just used to seeing more explosiveness in misdirection, screens, etc. coming from that slot in the standard wing T. Much will depend on the new OC's offensive concepts & preference. Of one thing I am certain, this staff really knows what they are doing and whatever specific mode they choose will be variable, exciting and a huge pain in the butt to defend.