• Two New Players

#2290  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 am
JohnW wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 am
Just an FYI. There are a lot of position changes on the roster. Worth a look.

I'll try to highlight a few.

Donovan Perryman has moved to ILB. He's listed at 6'2 225. He played in every contest last year as a reserve OLB. I really like the idea of sticking him in the middle with McKoy. Perryman's a high energy guy, and watching he and Jaylan Reid in the middle of the defense could be a lot of fun for the fans.

As I anticipated, a couple of guys moved off of safety and to linebacker, just not the ones I expected. Da'One Wilkins and Davonta Porter moved to OLB. Porter played in every game last year as Okeh's backup. While Farrar's absence may have necessitated the move, I also think they wouldn't have done so without feeling pretty comfortable with our second rotation at safety.
 #2293  by Jasper
 Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Donovan Perryman has moved to ILB. He's listed at 6'2 225. He played in every contest last year as a reserve OLB. I really like the idea of sticking him in the middle with McKoy. Perryman's a high energy guy, and watching he and Jaylan Reid in the middle of the defense could be a lot of fun for the fans.

As I anticipated, a couple of guys moved off of safety and to linebacker, just not the ones I expected. Da'One Wilkins and Davonta Porter moved to OLB. Porter played in every game last year as Okeh's backup. While Farrar's absence may have necessitated the move, I also think they wouldn't have done so without feeling pretty comfortable with our second rotation at safety.
I spoke with Donovan last month. Apparently the coaches decided to make that switch after the spring game and he is just excited about it. He loves the action on the inside. BTW, he is one big 225 lbs and I wouldnt be surprised if he adds another 10 lbs. of muscle before camp opens. I think this D is going to be something to behold in its second year of operation.
furman88 liked this
 #2294  by Paul C
 Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:10 pm
Also noticed Landon Lawrence who played DT as a Fr last year, although slightly undersized at 6-3/255 has been moved to DE. And Ben Page who redshirted last year is now a 235 lb OLB rather than DE.
 #2295  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:27 pm
Paul C wrote:
Also noticed Landon Lawrence who played DT as a Fr last year, although slightly undersized at 6-3/255 has been moved to DE. And Ben Page who redshirted last year is now a 235 lb OLB rather than DE.

That’s an interesting move as well. Lawrence played a bunch last year as a reserved DT. Other than Tibbs, no current DT has played a snap.

Like other positions, that’s probably not a move you make unless you are pretty comfortable in the reserve DTs.

Interesting guy for me to watch there is London Lewis.
 #2296  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:30 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
JohnW wrote:

I spoke with Donovan last month. Apparently the coaches decided to make that switch after the spring game and he is just excited about it. He loves the action on the inside. BTW, he is one big 225 lbs and I wouldnt be surprised if he adds another 10 lbs. of muscle before camp opens. I think this D is going to be something to behold in its second year of operation.
It seems a logical move and one that makes me feel a lot better about the defense (which I already felt good about). The ILB position was the one area with a lot of uncertainty after Ellis’ unexpected departure.

I agree with you. In the same way that Furman turned a bunch of heads last year with their offensive play, I could see us doing the same thing this year with defense.
 #2297  by Paul C
 Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:27 pm
Paul C wrote:

That’s an interesting move as well. Lawrence played a bunch last year as a reserved DT. Other than Tibbs, no current DT has played a snap.

Like other positions, that’s probably not a move you make unless you are pretty comfortable in the reserve DTs.

Interesting guy for me to watch there is London Lewis.
The other DT that I’m curious to see is Matt Sochovka. He was pretty highly thought of coming out of HS last year and RS last year. Bulked up a little to 265. Tibbs, Lewis and Sochovka could be a nice rotation....
 #2298  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:18 am
Another observation: As you look over the roster, there really isn't an obvious need to play true freshmen.

My memory is that Furman really started to play a bunch of true freshmen beginning early in the Fowler administration. In 2012, Furman was playing and starting guys like Reese Hannon, Carl Rider, Cory Magwood, Jairus Hollman, and Reggie Thomas. That was most likely out of necessity as we really had neither the talent nor depth to do otherwise.

That trend has really continued up until pretty much last season. Lack of depth has forced Furman over and over to run out true freshmen to start at key positions and play a lot of snaps. Obviously, this is a trend the program would like to break. Of course, if there's a standout player it does not matter if they are a freshman, but you would like that to be the exception and not the rule.

Going into 2018, I do not really see a clear need to rely on a bunch of true freshmen. This would probably be the first time in five or six years that would be the case. I could see one of the incoming linebackers (Hackett, Gilby, or Fisher) earning time in the ILB rotation. If I squint, I could see one of the two new QBs (Sisson or Grainger) earning the starting spot out of fall camp, though that seems unlikely. I think the most likely spot you will see a true freshman in 2018 is at TB, where we could use some speed to pair with Darius Morehead.

I think that is a really big spot for the program to get to. Instead of throwing these young guys out there over and over to figure it out in game situations, give them an extra year in the program and they should be that much better.
 #2299  by AstroDin
 Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:58 am
One thing to keep in mind… you can now play up to four games without burning a redshirt.
With Clemson, Elon, and Colgate up first…
we could see Sisson, Grainger, Coleman, Bell, Watkins, and Abrams get some PT.

My guess on the 1st year players that we could see on the depth chart:
Ryan Miller TE
Dejaun Bell RS/WR
Corey Watkins TB

Then you have Hamp Sisson… I thought Reese Hannon was a polished QB ready to go as a freshman - Sisson IMO is a step up. I think he's coming in - with all intentions to compete for the starting job. Could say the same thing of Granger. I do think Grainger could benefit from a redshirt.
 #2300  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:01 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:58 am
One thing to keep in mind… you can now play up to four games without burning a redshirt.
With Clemson, Elon, and Colgate up first…
we could see Sisson, Grainger, Coleman, Bell, Watkins, and Abrams get some PT.

My guess on the 1st year players that we could see on the depth chart:
Ryan Miller TE
Dejaun Bell RS/WR
Corey Watkins TB

Then you have Hamp Sisson… I thought Reese Hannon was a polished QB ready to go as a freshman - Sisson IMO is a step up. I think he's coming in - with all intentions to compete for the starting job. Could say the same thing of Granger. I do think Grainger could benefit from a redshirt.

From my completely uneducated observation of a high school highlight film and as one who knows very little about QBs and has never seen anyone but Roberts actually play, it would not shock me if Sisson was the starter.

It would surprise me, but not shock me.
 #2301  by Jasper
 Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:10 am
Then again, Jemar Lincoln looked very good in the spring game.
 #2302  by AstroDin
 Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:05 am
Jasper wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:10 am
Then again, Jemar Lincoln looked very good in the spring game.
I agree Lincoln looked smooth and very polished and has some wheels.

What impresses me on Hamp's video is he can pretty much do it all.
http://www.hudl.com/v/27p7Bn
 #2303  by Jasper
 Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:24 am
That boy can throw the football. He also shows good speed and shiftiness in what looked like called runs. From what I hear, Grainger has immense potential but would likely benefit from a red shirt year. It should be a very interesting summer session in a few weeks. It's a nice position to be in.
 #2304  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:52 am
Jasper wrote:
That boy can throw the football. He also shows good speed and shiftiness in what looked like called runs. From what I hear, Grainger has immense potential but would likely benefit from a red shirt year. It should be a very interesting summer session in a few weeks. It's a nice position to be in.
Reminds me a lot of a #19 that played QB for FU in the early to mid 80’s. Similar size, throwing motion, and running style. Perhaps a bit swifter though.
 #2305  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:55 am
Jasper wrote:

My initial thought on watching Grainger's film was that a redshirt year would be great for him. He looks like he came out of an offense in high school that basically "out athleted" a lot of their competition; that is, fairly simple throws to guys in space who are really tough to tackle. Hard to keep that going at this level. The talent is definitely there, though.

That said, he probably has the highest ceiling of any one. Two comps in the SoCon that come to mind that were tall, athletic QBs are WCU's Tyrie Adams and App's Richie Williams. I always liked Williams' game because he was a passer first, but shifty enough to be routinely used as a runner and always seemed to pick up tough yards on designed runs or broken plays.

One interesting thing to follow is how Furman may (or may not) modify the offense to accomodate Roberts and Grainger. Not often does an FCS team have two 6'4 QBs. Most offenses will use the height to an advantage and have them in the shotgun most of the time. It will be interesting to follow whether Furman will put those guys under center, where the slightly shorter players have a bit of an advantage in their ability to hide behind the offensive line.

I believe Roberts played in a high school offense where he was under center a bunch. Grainger looked like he spent all of his time in the shotgun.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.