• Street and Smiths

#2006  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:45 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:58 am
Paul C wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:17 pm
Thank you for exposing gofurman’s unhealthy Wofford man-love.
Anyway, yes, FUBeAR (still one of the most clever names on the board ;) ) is right. I am pretty sure Horton was one of the guys I meant - and I THINK there is confusion.. Horton played vs us in the playoffs after missing the first Woff v FU game (as noted by FUBeAR). Horton appeared to make a big difference to me. Dang off week and USC game for WOff (where they sat him) gave them time to let him heal up for the playoffs. But I admit I haven't looked at every team in detail
Still, perhaps, some confusion. Horton contracted mono & did not play in the 3 games before the Playoff game vs. FU. He did play against FU in that game, but did not start. I don’t know/recall how much he played, but he only registered 1 tackle on his entire stat line. His starting replacement, Priester, registered 2 tackles & 1 pass breakup. The next week vs. NDSU, Priester again started, but only registered 1 tackle. Horton had 3 tackles, including a Tackle for Loss.

Brown & Horton are very strong & talented DLmen, as is/was Priester. The PorchYappers will still be rather formidable on the DL, but Priester & Vaughn are big losses for them there. Perhaps even more importantly, they lost their DL Coach to Georgia Tech. He was at Woffy for 5 seasons & had about 10 years of ‘real’ College Coaching experience prior to his stint in SparkleCity. His replacement has 1 year of ‘real’ College Coaching experience (albeit at VMI) & 3 1-year stops as a HS position Coach and as a ‘quasi-Coach’ in 2 different college programs. So, 4 (soon-to-be-5) different programs in 4 (soon-to-be-5) years. Hard to say if he has any ability to develop Talent with that highly-mobile history. He certainly can’t claim any experience doing it.
 #2010  by The Jackal
 Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:53 am
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Anyway, yes, FUBeAR (still one of the most clever names on the board ;) ) is right. I am pretty sure Horton was one of the guys I meant - and I THINK there is confusion.. Horton played vs us in the playoffs after missing the first Woff v FU game (as noted by FUBeAR). Horton appeared to make a big difference to me. Dang off week and USC game for WOff (where they sat him) gave them time to let him heal up for the playoffs. But I admit I haven't looked at every team in detail
Still, perhaps, some confusion. Horton contracted mono & did not play in the 3 games before the Playoff game vs. FU. He did play against FU in that game, but did not start. I don’t know/recall how much he played, but he only registered 1 tackle on his entire stat line. His starting replacement, Priester, registered 2 tackles & 1 pass breakup. The next week vs. NDSU, Priester again started, but only registered 1 tackle. Horton had 3 tackles, including a Tackle for Loss.

Brown & Horton are very strong & talented DLmen, as is/was Priester. The PorchYappers will still be rather formidable on the DL, but Priester & Vaughn are big losses for them there. Perhaps even more importantly, they lost their DL Coach to Georgia Tech. He was at Woffy for 5 seasons & had about 10 years of ‘real’ College Coaching experience prior to his stint in SparkleCity. His replacement has 1 year of ‘real’ College Coaching experience (albeit at VMI) & 3 1-year stops as a HS position Coach and as a ‘quasi-Coach’ in 2 different college programs. So, 4 (soon-to-be-5) different programs in 4 (soon-to-be-5) years. Hard to say if he has any ability to develop Talent with that highly-mobile history. He certainly can’t claim any experience doing it.

In my view, citing stat lines for a NT in a 3-4 defense does not tell much. His job isn't to make tackles. His job is to plug holes, keep guys out of the second level, and let the linebackers make tackles.

The only stat line I need to see is the 52 yards rushing Furman had that game to let me know how well their interior defensive line played. Antonio Wilcox had 27 yards yards rushing. That tells me a whole lot about how that Wofford defensive front 3 played that day.
Jasper, furman88, fufanatic liked this
 #2012  by Paul C
 Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:08 pm
As usual my friend GF just proves my point while trying to make his. :)

reminder, this thread is about THIS year not LAST year.
FUBeAR, furman88 liked this
 #2013  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:43 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:08 pm
thread is about THIS year not LAST year.
EXACTLY what I thought...just didn’t get around to posting it.

Great minds...and all, I guess ;)
Paul C liked this
 #2018  by The Jackal
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:03 am
I've looked at some of the other SoCon teams schedules, and I think we set up nicely for a good run.

We need to come out of the gates swinging. There are 5 September games, two key out of conference matchups, and two conference tilts. I expect we will be favored in three of them (Colgate, ETSU, WCU) an underdog in one (Clemson), and a toss up in the other (Elon). That Elon game will be a big one, both for playoff standings, rankings, and the conference's national perception.

After September, we get an off week before Wofford comes to town, which will be nice to spend the extra time on the option with the Citadel coming in two weeks later. There are really no nasty stretches of road games and multiple tough teams back to back. Our longest road trip will be against the worst team we will see (VMI).

I also tend to look at other team's schedules to see how they line up. I prefer to see our opponents playing legitimate competition the week before our game and not a weak sister. Mostly, we do alright in that department as well. I do not believe any of our best competition will have Kumquat State or a bye week before playing us.
Paladin82 liked this
 #2021  by gofurman
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:59 am
Paul C wrote:
Well played - LOL, you got me
 #2022  by gofurman
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:10 am
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:

In my view, citing stat lines for a NT in a 3-4 defense does not tell much. His job isn't to make tackles. His job is to plug holes, keep guys out of the second level, and let the linebackers make tackles.

The only stat line I need to see is the 52 yards rushing Furman had that game to let me know how well their interior defensive line played. Antonio Wilcox had 27 yards yards rushing. That tells me a whole lot about how that Wofford defensive front 3 played that day.

Correct - I think Jackal AND PaulC and everyone have good points. I stand w Jackal on the stats - You can tell me a guy had one tackle but if our team got FIFTY TWO yards rushing on numerous attempts... well, their front 7 BEAT our OL. THis being the same FU team that CRUSHED Citadel and Western w great blocking and running. Oh how I loved watching that CItadel game !! But case closed on our running vs Woff in the playoffs. We were a GREAT running team last year .. but Samford and Woff shut us down.. As Jackal noted it's a scheme thing - not a singular stat line for one guy.

That said, like Paul and FUBeAR noted... this is a new year and several teams have big losses. I admit I need to do more research on which teams lost what. Esp roster losses that I didn't expect. Will try to remember to do a 'SoCon pre-season ranking' thread later..

I think that would be an interesting thread - esp w people like FUBeAR and Jackal who could tell me which teams lost guys I am unaware of. always appreciate the input and information !!!
 #2023  by The Jackal
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:23 pm
gofurman wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:10 am
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:

Correct - I think Jackal AND PaulC and everyone have good points. I stand w Jackal on the stats - You can tell me a guy had one tackle but if our team got FIFTY TWO yards rushing on numerous attempts... well, their front 7 BEAT our OL. THis being the same FU team that CRUSHED Citadel and Western w great blocking and running. Oh how I loved watching that CItadel game !! But case closed on our running vs Woff in the playoffs. We were a GREAT running team last year .. but Samford and Woff shut us down.. As Jackal noted it's a scheme thing - not a singular stat line for one guy.

That said, like Paul and FUBeAR noted... this is a new year and several teams have big losses. I admit I need to do more research on which teams lost what. Esp roster losses that I didn't expect. Will try to remember to do a 'SoCon pre-season ranking' thread later..

I think that would be an interesting thread - esp w people like FUBeAR and Jackal who could tell me which teams lost guys I am unaware of. always appreciate the input and information !!!

It isn't really a scheme thing. Wofford whipped our fannies up front.

Now, we were playing without Kealand Dirks and Wofford was at home after a bye week. Did that make a difference? Probably.

Hendrix talked often about getting more aggressive on the offensive line up front. Our OL was talented and worked hard, but struggled against teams with top shelf interior defensive linemen. Another year in the system and weight room should do a lot of good in that department.
 #2037  by fufanatic
 Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:57 am
The Jackal wrote:
That Elon game will be a big one, both for playoff standings, rankings, and the conference's national perception.
Ding, ding, ding. Great point. It would be super helpful if the SoCon can pick up a few big out-of-conference wins this year. At Kennesaw State for Samford would be a nice one. At Wyoming without Josh Allen could be an interesting opportunity for Wofford. Our win at Elon in the playoffs was huge. Let's do it again this year.
dornb liked this
 #2038  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:50 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:57 am
The Jackal wrote:
That Elon game will be a big one, both for playoff standings, rankings, and the conference's national perception.
Ding, ding, ding. Great point. It would be super helpful if the SoCon can pick up a few big out-of-conference wins this year. At Kennesaw State for Samford would be a nice one. At Wyoming without Josh Allen could be an interesting opportunity for Wofford. Our win at Elon in the playoffs was huge. Let's do it again this year.

There are a few big ones. Furman has two, against both Colgate and Elon. The Citadel will play CAA Towson. Mercer will play a typically top 25 Yale team. Samford will see KSU, which will likely be a top 15 matchup.

Winning a good chunk of those against quality ooc teams would go a long way for the conference.
FUBeAR, fufanatic liked this
 #2041  by Affirm
 Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:42 pm
If we lose again to Wofford, it will be thoroughly uninteresting to me what they do vs Wyoming, win OR lose.
 #2042  by gofurman
 Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:34 pm

--------------------------------------------------
It isn't really a scheme thing. Wofford whipped our fannies up front.

Now, we were playing without Kealand Dirks and Wofford was at home after a bye week. Did that make a difference? Probably.

Hendrix talked often about getting more aggressive on the offensive line up front. Our OL was talented and worked hard, but struggled against teams with top shelf interior defensive linemen. Another year in the system and weight room should do a lot of good in that
------------------------------------------------------

Another team that (my memory may be failing me but I think this was true) impressed me in stopping our run was Mercer. I felt Samford and Woff were best.. then Elon and Mercer:

Mercer held us ( in Greenville, unlike the other teams) to this stat line running:
Furman Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
49 182 3.7 3 17

A lot of TDs we punched in with strong short yardage but we couldn't break the runs vs them that we did vs most other teams. Keeping last years Furman team to an average run gain of 3.7 yards is a good D effort by the bears. For comparison Mercer ran for these numbers on us:
CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
31 146 4.7 2 46

We won the game but they outgained us by nearly 100 yds at our stadium. That's gonna be a tough game in Macon - esp with the maturation of their freshman QB Kaelan Riley. Often see a ton of growth in a freshman QB when he is a Soph... He is a good one. I wouldn't be surprised if Mercer beat some good teams and push for the playoffs this year
 #2043  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:41 pm
Mercer will be a tough out. We are a big game for them every season.

I wouldn't read too much into peripheral stats like total yards and time of possession, though The goal of the game is to score and to keep the other team from scoring. Furman does a pretty good job of that.

You can point to a lot of things that decided the Mercer/Furman tilt, but I like to focus on two that, in my opinion, is a small sample of the new (but old) brand of football Coach Hendrix has returned.

First, Furman was 4/4 on fourth down conversions that day. I love that. Mercer's defense made some key stops and our offense said "I don't think you can stop us a fourth time." And they couldn't. My recollection is every Furman touchdown drive had a fourth down conversion in that game.

The second is how Furman closed out both halves. This was a huge (which might be an understatement) problem under Bruce Fowler, where Furman would routinely surrender points before halftime and in the fourth quarter, often costing us a win.

That day, though, Furman allowed Mercer only two possessions in the second and fourth quarters, respectively. In the fourth quarter, Furman had a 7-minute drive ending in the game-winning touchdown. Mercer got the ball after that, took nearly 3 minutes to move the ball -2 yards. The fourth quarter was all but gone after those two drives.

I love that. Get the ball in a tie game, take half the quarter driving downfield and score the game-winning touchdown. After Furman got in the redzone on that drive, Mercer got 5 straight rushes by Dirks and Wilcox. Mercer's defense was on the field for 14 plays on that drive, and the last 5 were with big running backs barrelling up the middle.
furman88, Bootie, MNORM and 2 others liked this
 #2292  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:04 pm
Flagman wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 pm
lawdog wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 pm
Discussing Weinstein and Jerry Richardson in the same vein makes no sense. One has been accused, beyond doubt,openly, routinely, and often, for decades, of rape and graphic harassment. Jerry Richardson, in his eighties and a heart transplant recipient, has recently, vaguely, and anonymously been accused essentially of boorish remarks, likely by someone who settled and waived all such claims; every business or other entity of any size settles such claims each year. Jerry Richardson has done more for North and South Carolina than any other individual of his era, in terms of employment , morale, and reputation of the region. He is a gentleman of the highest order but, like the rest of us, not perfect.
I disagree. Gentlemen “of the highest order” don’t behave in a manner that evokes such accusations. I do agree that he is “like the rest of us, not perfect.”
Chuck & Chernoff on 680TheFan were absolutely KILLING Jerry Richardson on Atlanta radio today. The whole statue ‘thing’ https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sport ... 14785.html, it seems, fired them up. They were calling him a ‘ghoul’ and a ‘sexual predator,’ among other things. I didn’t realize that the NFL had fined him for these ‘accusations’ the largest single fine in the history of the League - $2.75 million! They were talking about how the Panthers MUST find a way around this clause in the contract & that there is no way they or the NFL can allow themselves to be associated with Mr. Richardson in any way whatsoever.

With this kind of public commentary & perception in the nearest major/major city to SparkleCity (and I don’t think that article out of the Charlotte paper was intended to be flattering), I just don’t see how Wofford is going to avoid, eventually, having to also disassociate. These guys aren’t the radical #MeToo crowd. They are relatively conservative Sports Guys.

I would imagine Admissions Counselors/Directors from other schools competing with Wofford for students are already alluding to their relationship with Mr. Richardson being a tacit acknowledgement that Wofford, institutionally, supports, or at least condones, this type of behavior, particularly with their female & diversity ‘target’ students. And, it wouldn’t surprise if Women’s Sports Coaches from the SoCon are doing the same. Perhaps, even some talk of it with those Mommas in their Living Rooms on Football Recruiting Home Visits.

We’ll see...

Update: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... 58699.html - Yep, I thought I heard those drums beating. This article also mentions Harvey Weinstein in the same context as Jerry Richardson. Despite lawdog’s thoughts that the juxtaposition of those 2 individuals makes no sense, that’s EXACTLY what the media is doing & will continue to do.

“Namesakes and degrees have recently been removed or revoked in the midst of the #MeToo movement after allegations of misconduct against the honoree, such as movie mogul Harvey Weinstein and comedian Bill Cosby.”

“UNC Charlotte's football team plays at the Jerry Richardson Stadium, which seats 15,000 people. "UNC Charlotte is aware of the NFL decision and discussing the implications of the decision for the University," said spokeswoman Buffie Stephens.”

Update2: And, the National Media joins in the public flaying related to the ‘statue thing’...and made sure to throw Wofford under the bus before signing off https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/10/jerry ... conference

“...at Wofford College, where the Panthers will take the field next to yet another larger-than-life statue of Jerry Richardson.”
 #2309  by MidlandsPaladin
 Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:47 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:04 pm
I just don’t see how Wofford is going to avoid, eventually, having to also disassociate. These guys aren’t the radical #MeToo crowd. They are relatively conservative Sports Guys.

They may not have a choice...the dissociation, at least from the Panthers, may begin whether they like it or not:

New Panthers’ owner Tepper adds to uncertainty of Spartanburg training camp’s future

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.